Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2021, 02:11 PM   #1941
Ipoci is offline Ipoci  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautibuoy View Post
I finally made some good progress with my DSC2(V2.5.2) build today ... Output section assembled using Lundahl LL1684 transformers

Hi nautibuoy! Can you briefly compare Lundhal LL1684 sound with the "original" chinese yellow transformers?

I've a DSC2.5.2 dac equipped with yellow transformers and sound satisfies me a lot, I can describe it as organic without but no "fat", very good voice reproduction.

Now I've a pretty new DSC Stick assembly (build by Saint "Gionag" ) that's a real beauty ... Output transformers are the V2 built by Ivan that's definitely better that the chinese one and overall DAC measurements overwhelm my DSC2.5.2 ... but sound is now really really precise

I mean, sound is perfect with perfect recordings, with less than perfect recordings, sound is still very good but with little too much of hiss on female voices

So, my first idea is to buy a pair of yellow chinese transformers and then mount on DSC Stick ...
My second idea is to buy a pair of Lundahl and do the same trick but due the cost of LL, first I need to grab feedbacks

Thanks in advance
Old 16th March 2021, 08:33 PM   #1942
alesoleg is offline alesoleg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post
Well,
a little late on my self-imposed schedule.

Sticks are assembled and tested inside and out.

They are running fine, simple and exceptional.

Now its time to take care of the docs...
Hello. Very nice design for your boards. Tell me in your circuit, as I understand it, DSD clk goes to the buffer and then to the registers, the rest of the DSD signals (inverse) go to the registers directly to the 19 pins? Are there any problems that the circuit for generating all signals for DSD (reclocking DSD clk, DSD L / DSD R and invert signals) are located at a distance on another board, does not the meaning of reclocking be lost? I am planning to put one 1G125 on the DSD ckl line, I think it will be enough. Thank
Old 20th March 2021, 12:46 PM   #1943
gionag is offline gionag  Italy
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesoleg View Post
Hello. Very nice design for your boards. Tell me in your circuit, as I understand it, DSD clk goes to the buffer and then to the registers, the rest of the DSD signals (inverse) go to the registers directly to the 19 pins? Are there any problems that the circuit for generating all signals for DSD (reclocking DSD clk, DSD L / DSD R and invert signals) are located at a distance on another board, does not the meaning of reclocking be lost? I am planning to put one 1G125 on the DSD ckl line, I think it will be enough. Thank
Sorry,
missed your message

the st!ck's was not meant to be operated As-is.
they require a fifo that isolate and re-clock the input source.
Furthermore i am fonded that the signal split(inversion) must be done before the fifo, and not after.

DSD-Clk pass trough the fifo, dsd1 and dsd2 are copy-and-inverted BEFORE the fifo,
so from the fifo output you gets 5 signal re-clocked and coherent to themselves.
from there, a carefully tuned transmission lines carry the signlas to the sticks left and right.

on the stick's, as soon the clock enter get a buffer that accomplish two things:
1- gurantee that clk can drive all of the 8 clk-in ports of the 575's with enough "power".
2- add a little delay in order to meet the setup time for the 575's

I am NOT an expert by far on this type of designs, but afaik, length has nothing with jitter performances, but rather must be kept in mind from a signal integrity point of view.
A carefully planned tracks and impedance matching is mandatory.

But, again, i am not an expert.
nonetheless the fifo+stick's sound awesome on my system so something good must happen there.

I had a dsc 2.6.2 and a DSC2 but nothing compares to the sticks.
don't get me wrong, everything that pavel did sounded amazing, but i think my rendition adds a little "percentage" more on the goodness scale

Needless to say that what i did was impossibile without the paving work that pavel a jussi did of that matter.
Old 20th March 2021, 09:43 PM   #1944
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipoci View Post
Hi nautibuoy! Can you briefly compare Lundhal LL1684 sound with the "original" chinese yellow transformers?
Sorry, but I have no relevant experience I can share, I just bought the Lundahls.
Old 21st March 2021, 07:54 PM   #1945
alesoleg is offline alesoleg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post
Sorry,
missed your message

the st!ck's was not meant to be operated As-is.
they require a fifo that isolate and re-clock the input source.
Furthermore i am fonded that the signal split(inversion) must be done before the fifo, and not after.

DSD-Clk pass trough the fifo, dsd1 and dsd2 are copy-and-inverted BEFORE the fifo,
so from the fifo output you gets 5 signal re-clocked and coherent to themselves.
from there, a carefully tuned transmission lines carry the signlas to the sticks left and right.

on the stick's, as soon the clock enter get a buffer that accomplish two things:
1- gurantee that clk can drive all of the 8 clk-in ports of the 575's with enough "power".
2- add a little delay in order to meet the setup time for the 575's

I am NOT an expert by far on this type of designs, but afaik, length has nothing with jitter performances, but rather must be kept in mind from a signal integrity point of view.
A carefully planned tracks and impedance matching is mandatory.

But, again, i am not an expert.
nonetheless the fifo+stick's sound awesome on my system so something good must happen there.

I had a dsc 2.6.2 and a DSC2 but nothing compares to the sticks.
don't get me wrong, everything that pavel did sounded amazing, but i think my rendition adds a little "percentage" more on the goodness scale

Needless to say that what i did was impossibile without the paving work that pavel a jussi did of that matter.
Thank. Could you lay out the power circuit with all the changes in the ratings of the parts and the transfer to SMD. Тhank
Old 21st March 2021, 08:16 PM   #1946
gionag is offline gionag  Italy
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
What are you talking about ?
The 5v on board regulators are reflektor-d's

Components are 1:1 with the salas topology buy in smd. No swaps.
Old 27th March 2021, 05:38 PM   #1947
bbest is offline bbest
diyAudio Member

Hello!

Does some one compare PSU for this DAC: Salas UltraBib, Reflektor D or L-Adapter. Which is better?
Old 27th March 2021, 07:21 PM   #1948
nautibuoy is offline nautibuoy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@gionag

You have a PM.
Old 22nd April 2021, 02:58 AM   #1949
pcbd123 is offline pcbd123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
SPDIF only PCM
From BBB - P9_30
From ppy's reclocker - J4_3
You need to add a standard circuit - a capacitor, a resistor divider and a pulse transformer.
how about i2s signal for chip DAC pcm63, AD1865....? WHich pin ? Thanks ppy!
Old 23rd April 2021, 01:39 PM   #1950
ppy is offline ppy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

In the latest update for the Pure firmware I added the ability to connect old multibit DACs.
DATA0 - 30(P9)
DATA1 - 41(P9)
Attached Images
File Type: png 23-04-2021 16-36-47.png (87.8 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by ppy; 23rd April 2021 at 01:51 PM.

Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!