Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Signalyst DSC1
Signalyst DSC1
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2020, 05:25 PM   #1891
gionag is offline gionag  Italy
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzzl View Post
Cool. Where can I get my hands on those gerber files or do you maybe by any chance have some leftover PCB's?
Signalyst DSC1
Old 21st July 2020, 05:28 PM   #1892
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
... Ideally, you need to mute the OE registers. But current PCB do not allow this ...
while developing the Sticks i have thought about that implementation... i was not sure how effective would be, so i have reverted to the classical analog switch across the output.

At the moment i am using the mute signal coming from the McFifo itself, that bit aligned, open a little before the music starts, and a little before it stops...

i have tried driving the mute from the beaglebone, but was not ideal with a fifo in the middle ( as you can imagine... )

if i redo the boards, i will leave this option open to try it out....
Old 21st July 2020, 07:29 PM   #1893
Brzzl is offline Brzzl  Europe
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gionag View Post

I already remembered after posing my question, that Pavel posted the Gerbers back in May. Thanks anyway and if anyone got some PCB's made from those Gerbers and wants to sell one PCB to me or someone wants to do so and is thinking about doing a groupbuy, please send me a pm
Old 21st July 2020, 07:48 PM   #1894
ppy is offline ppy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
while developing the Sticks i have thought about that implementation... i was not sure how effective would be, so i have reverted to the classical analog switch across the output.
It is necessary to simultaneously operate the OE and the analog switch.

There are two reasons:
  1. When there is no DSD signal, the registers of one shoulder at the output are "1" and the registers of the opposite shoulder are "0". This is a serious load for an analog switch.
  2. The resistance of the primary winding of Ivan's transformers is ~3 ohms. And the resistance of the public key is ~0.5. Therefore, an analog switch is not efficient.

Last edited by ppy; 21st July 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 21st July 2020, 08:28 PM   #1895
CrowDaddy is offline CrowDaddy
diyAudio Member

Is there a possible advantage to varying the bit length of the converter for differing input data rates? For example, instead of the standard 16 bits, use 20 bits for DSD512, and 12 bits for DSD64?

Also, and excuse me if this has been previously addressed, is there any advantage to using a reclocker such as the Twisted Pear Cronus/Rhea ?

Am planning to construct a DSC-2 with the tube output board from the RAKK DAC, if I can find parts or plans for one ...
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:30 PM   #1896
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppy View Post
It is necessary to simultaneously operate the OE and the analog switch.

There are two reasons:
  1. When there is no DSD signal, the registers of one shoulder at the output are "1" and the registers of the opposite shoulder are "0". This is a serious load for an analog switch.
  2. The resistance of the primary winding of Ivan's transformers is ~3 ohms. And the resistance of the public key is ~0.5. Therefore, an analog switch is not efficient.
... mhhh yes, but we always have the 5k resistor in between, so the "load" would be rather small.

the "high" shoulder impose 5v, the lower a 0, 5k between the two halves (so 10k).

5v / 10k = 500uA.

but maybe you are referring to the inductive "kick" from the transformer primary...
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:00 PM   #1897
ppy is offline ppy  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

First problem:
Very often there is a moment when DSD data is missing but MCLK is working. Then 32 register outputs are switched to "1" and the opposite ones to "0".
5K/32=156Ω
5V/312Ω=16mA

Second problem:
Inductive "kick" is not in our case. But too little difference between the resistance of the analog switch (0.5Ω) and the resistance of the primary winding (3Ω) weakens the click by only ~16db
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:16 PM   #1898
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
gotcha !
Old 30th July 2020, 10:10 AM   #1899
Zoran is online now Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

At the moment i am using the mute signal coming from the McFifo itself, that bit aligned, open a little before the music starts, and a little before it stops...

i have tried driving the mute from the beaglebone, but was not ideal with a fifo in the middle ( as you can imagine... )

if i redo the boards, i will leave this option open to try it out....
That is the issue with almost every single interface. I did proper logic (for amanero) BUT signal coming from interface is wrong. Going active just before music starts or with changing sample rate or else and opposite before stop...
I thnik that You can use some power on reset IC to adjust this delays? I am going to try it for sure.

One question please:
What part is this resistor stack IC You are using?

Last edited by Zoran; 30th July 2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 30th July 2020, 11:54 AM   #1900
diyAudio Member

Signalyst DSC1
NOMCA from vishays

Signalyst DSC1Hide this!Advertise here!