A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Can you explain more about these drivers please and where they can be downloaded?

@nige2000 as well...

o.k. Goto is a japanese society producing highest end compression drivers for high efficiency horn systems...

so, if you want to get your 500 horse powers onto the road (the DDDACs), you will have to have suitable "slicks"... otherwise most of the energy (i.e. music) is lost ...

if you might want to have a look, then go here:

system von Goto Unit - �V‹KƒTƒCƒg001

Tuyen is a very ambitious HiFi-guy (and a friend of Chanh - both are doing HiFi together, both with DDDAC1794...) from Australia struggeling (in the best sense) to optimize his system according to his possibilities (student... hardly any money, but HiFi is the most...), and he has different Goto-drivers installed within his system which now with the different DDDACs really grew up in the sky... the description and discussion about the development of his system

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,60.0.html

and the DDDAC1794 as well... you might find here (I hope you have access to the site as a "guest"...)

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,842.0.html

c

Last edited:
Waveio 5V PS

Chanh - The Salas should be a great choice. I use Salas Shunts on all by analog circuits. When I was in college all I could afford was an all-in-one turntable amp setup that cost about as much as 2 Tent Shunts.

Another option for others to consider is a Belleson 5V SPJ78 right at the external terminals. See pictures. I made a small perf board with a 100uf OSCON and .1uf Vishay 1837 film bypass close to the input pin of the Belleson. It is powered by a 7.5-8.0 V filtered, but not regulated, PS powered by a 6.3V 2amp filament transformer. There was a definite upgrade in sq compared to an external regulated linear PS. I use this same unregulated power supply on my 3.3V Bellesons on the digital side of the PCM1794 circuit.

The disc on the XMOS chip is a Black Discus from Mad Scientist Audio in NZ. To me it makes the music sound a bit cleaner. The difference is small, but I don't want to leave it off. Ok, let's hear all the snake oil comments.

Doede, Please consider making a provision for installing an OSCON and film cap next to the input pin of the 3.3V regulator on the Main Board. I've modified both of my Main Boards this way (see pic, film cap under board) and it allows for the Belleson to operate as suggested on their web site. This might be the difference for a premium Vreg on the Main Board making an improvement in sq.

Attachments

• 5V-1.JPG
    5V-1.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 517
  • 5V-2.JPG
    5V-2.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 497
  • 5V-3.JPG
    5V-3.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 481
  • MB cap.JPG
    MB cap.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 484
CCS Pin 20

dwjames, Your positive initial results with the LM334 made me order parts to test it along with my two JFET circuits.

I've been using the 2 transistor CCS circuit for a few days now. The musical detail is incredible and the bass is tighter. The overall sound flavor is very neutral with a relaxed musical flow. Very easy to live with.

I'm cooking more FETs on my breadboard to try the single FET CCS circuit again. My first test of this resulted in high musical energy and excitement. The soundstage was holographic. The detail and ambience was magical. It may be altering the music in a way the some may like or not.

Evidently the pin 20 CCS goes to the heart of the analog conversion and every different device used will have a different impact on the sound. I wish someone could contact the designer of the PCM1794 to find out what he had in mind. He chose to go external with the CCS for very good reasons. Someone wrote that the chip designer doesn't work for Burr-Brown or TI anymore.

Carlsor.
As im ordering some components, would you be so kind to help me with the resistor value for current sinking my 8v Bellesons ?
Im planning to turn apart my whole DDDac, fulfiling Bellesons implementation, changing capacitors and bypassing some. A nice 200VA trafo is on its way too.

I could use some help for pin 20 too. I have zero knowledge on css, fets and so on.
Point me the components to order and i'll be glad to report the improvements. Maybe that could help some other to overcome this tweak.

Best regards.

Carlsor, from your pictures, are you using the four WaveIO mouting holes ? Remember one is grouded...

Last edited:
I could use some help for pin 20 too. I have zero knowledge on css, fets and so on.
Point me the components to order and i'll be glad to report the improvements. Maybe that could help some other to overcome this tweak.
So for each current source (you need 2 per deck) you will need
1 x LM334M/NOBP (there is an 'SM' version too, but this just has alternative pinouts from the chip and seems to be much more expensive, so we don't want that)
1 x 165R resistor - 1% or better
then to add the extra to remove the current variation for changes in temperature, you should also get
1 x 1N457 diode
1 x 1K65 resistor - 1% or better

You also want to get some SOIC adapter boards. They're only tiny and cheap and readily available on ebay. That just means you have something to mount it all onto.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
James

The disc on the XMOS chip is a Black Discus from Mad Scientist Audio in NZ. To me it makes the music sound a bit cleaner. The difference is small, but I don't want to leave it off. Ok, let's hear all the snake oil comments.

i seen the discus in the pic before i read your post
first thing that came to mind was are you suicidal
theres guys that swear by applying weight to the chips

i had a pc with a fanless cpu cooler which is made of aluminium i thought it sounded cleaner with it on too
but its not massive change

nige2000: Soldering gun therapy keeps me mentally stable.

I also tried the Black Discus on the PCM1794 chips - no difference, not even an imaginary one. Supposedly the black discus material absorbs high frequency EMI/RFI electrical noise. Larger ones work on my SET Tube amps on the output transformers, but not on the power transformers. They made the Cinemags sound worse. I better do some more soldering now.

My guess is that Doede's next project is a DSD DAC.