Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

D

Deleted member 537459

Do you use a separate supply for the NS? Do you use the power enable pin on the Fifo to cut the power to the NS? Do the LEDs on the NS blink when music rate changes? How about when it stops working?

Yes i use lifepo4 j4 with 4 batteries.
No i dont use but fifo pi switch of the osc?? Ian?
If the led blink i don't now i don't see, i check this.
On the screen of 9038 control is "ess control ........."

Design a ReceiverPi to play S/PDIF music and USB streamer music on a RPi DAC

I like my RPi DAC HAT and FifoPi combinations.With low jitter XOs, good power supply and sync mode, I really enjoy the sound quality and couldn't help listening music with them everyday.

But for many years, I have huge CD collections. I miss then so much and want to listen to them on my RPi DAC system(No doubt true bit-perfect through S/PDIF). As well, I also have a lot of music sources that can be accessed from PC through a USB streamer, such as Foobar2000, Youtube, and many more.

So I decided to design a ReceiverPi to extent the ability of RPi DACs to access more music sources. It will be the first S/PDIF, external I2S/DSD interface board for RPi based audio applications.

Besides the music from RPi GPIO itself, ReceiverPi will have three additional music inputs:

1. Coaxial S/PDIF through RCA ( isolated, up to 192KHz)

2. Optical S/PDIF ( up to 192KHz ,of course isolated)

3. I2S/DSD input for external USB streamer and other digital music sources, up to 768KHz

ReceiverPi by Ian, on Flickr

I'd also like the ReceiverPi to have follow features:

. Low jitter and low noise design for better sound quality.

. Seamlessly integrated with FifoPi and ESS DAC HAT(sync mode) by installing between RPi and FifoPi or between RPi and DAC.

. Can automatically switch to S/PDIF if presents

. Can automatically switch to USB streamer when powered

. Can run RPi DACs even without a RPi (RPi free mode)

. Run ESS DAC HATs directly at sync/async mode even without FifoPi (light weight mode)

. Possible to have a control panel

. Reserved GPIO port for possible or user designed Linux/Web based software control

. optional independent DC power input

. Can be easily configured as S/PDIF FIFO by integrating with FifoPi and TransportPi

. DIY friendly and plug and play

I'm having the a finished prototype PCB now. I'm working on it. More update will be posted soon.

Ian

Last edited:
I like my RPi DAC HAT and FifoPi combinations.With low jitter XOs, good power supply and sync mode, I really enjoy the sound quality and couldn't help listening music with them everyday.

But for many years, I have huge CD collections. I miss then so much and want to listen to them on my RPi DAC system(No doubt true bit-perfect through S/PDIF). As well, I also have a lot of music sources that can be accessed from PC through a USB streamer, such as Foobar2000, Youtube, and many more.

So I decided to design a ReceiverPi to extent the ability of RPi DACs to access more music sources. It will be the first S/PDIF, external I2S/DSD interface board for RPi based audio applications.

Besides the music from RPi GPIO itself, ReceiverPi will have three additional music inputs:

3. I2S/DSD input for external USB streamer and other digital music sources, up to 768KHz

. Seamlessly integrated with FifoPi and ESS DAC HAT(sync mode) by installing between RPi and FifoPi or between RPi and DAC.

. Run ESS DAC HATs directly at sync/async mode even without FifoPi (light weight mode)

. Reserved GPIO port for possible or user designed Linux/Web based software control

. Can be easily configured as S/PDIF FIFO by integrating with FifoPi and TransportPi

I'm having the a finished prototype PCB now. I'm working on it. More update will be posted soon.

Ian
Finally! Yes! Goodbye noisy Pi :)

Ian

I also have huge CD collections. I also miss then so much and want to listen to them on your RPi. I used to convert CDs into files using CD ripper and then listen them on your RPi. However, the CD rip process is very cumbersome, so that a lot of CDs hase not yet been converted into files. I am looking forward ReceiverPi.

Ian, is it possible to further design a module that allows a Built-in BD Drive, such as Pioneer BDR-S12J-X, to read CD tracks directly and output music signals via SPDIF? The performance of the Pioneer BDR-S12J-X has reached the Hi end level, far superior to the average computer BD/CD Drive. I obtain the music files obtained by CD ripping using Pioneer BDR-S12J-X to, and the sound quality was especially good during playback. There is a reasonable that the price of the Pioneer BDR-S12J-X is significantly higher than that of a general computer CD player.

I also have huge CD collections. I also miss then so much and want to listen to them on your RPi. I used to convert CDs into files using CD ripper and then listen them on your RPi. However, the CD rip process is very cumbersome, so that a lot of CDs hase not yet been converted into files. I am looking forward ReceiverPi.

What ripper are you using? I have ripped something like 1200 CDs, and was able to automate it to a large degree - all I needed to do was every now and then insert a new CD in the drive.