why audiophiles hate equalizers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a coffee table will degrade the imaging

Ah, memory lane.
Couple of decades ago i ran into an example of a doctor, resided in a large 1930s villa.
Nothing inside the plus-size living room, other than a vastly expensive audio set and a single chair, and even the chair was fishing tripod grade.
Never witnessed anything like it, obvious that the MD was unmarried, no kids, no pets (kermit the hermit).

(Yowza, don't get me started on rotator tits)

EQing is for a good result in many environments is normal, good working practice. The crushing of dynamics is marketing driven and has nothing to do with mp3 or such like. Sadly these days many artists insist on over-compressing ('I want my song to be as louder than xyz's')
Every recording engineer I have ever met hates over-compressing much more than audiophiles but they provide a service and have to provide what the client (record company and/or artist) wants or starve.

I don't have any problem with the recording engineer doing what he is paid to do. I am pointing out that what they put into the final mis isn't some sort of perfect Holy Grail that shouldn't be touched by mere mortals (ie consumers).

I agree.
I have lots of stuff that sounds better to me with a bit more or less bass and sometimes I adjust accordingly but most of the time I can't be bothered.

The vast majority is fine as it is though, eq'd during recording or not.

Dynamics on the other hand, once they are gone they stay gone. First line of defence for me: Never buy anything that has the name Lord-Alge in the credits and recent 're-masters'.

EQing is for a good result in many environments is normal, good working practice. The crushing of dynamics is marketing driven and has nothing to do with mp3 or such like. Sadly these days many artists insist on over-compressing ('I want my song to be as louder than xyz's')
Every recording engineer I have ever met hates over-compressing much more than audiophiles but they provide a service and have to provide what the client (record company and/or artist) wants or starve.
Over-compressing (analog), and in the digital domain lossy compression to reduce file size and speed up streaming, is often pretty ugly sounding. Having said that, I built a SWTPC stereeo compressor/expander back in the 70's, and found that a small amount of compression made the music less irksome and more enjoyable. In a mix of "Rock" music, compressing the band relative to the singer (all musicians except the singer) can make the singer stand out, and be more clear. I highly prefer compressors that have a very fast attack time (50uS - effectively instant at 20kHZ), and a slower decay time (50mS?), so modulation is minimally noticeable. Some compression can make a poorly mixed multi-track recording sound a little more integrated.

Some rock or "pop" radio stations use compression and a variation of the "Aural Exciter", which apparently adds distortion of some kind to the upper-mid and treble... and I'm still trying to figure out why??? Perhaps so it cuts through the noise of a car better (?) I guess it makes advertisements more clear in someone's opinion (?)... Or maybe some people like the sound of distorted treble (?). These things are usually market driven, so there is likely a crowd that likes this somehow (?). I imagine it's all about selling advertisement space, and if the advertiser thinks his or her message is getting hammered into your head better somehow, then they are happier (?).

I have a short story about my audio spectrum equalizer. I had an Audiovox car amplifier with a built-in 5 band graphic equalizer, that I modified. I shifted all the frequency boost/cut bands down into the bass range. I added capacitors to the filters inside the unit to give me adjustments for, if memory serves, approximately 30Hz, 40Hz, 55Hz, 75Hz, and 100Hz or something like that, following a pattern of progressively increasing increments. The modified equalizer was how I got very flat bass response on a budget.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.