XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hi Lorien,

I've just ordered a WaveIO board. Looking foreward to using it.

I have aquestion:
Can I directly drive the I2S pins of a PCM1794 DAC IC from the isolated I2S connector of the WaveIO board or is a buffer needed inbetween? The DAC IC will only be a few centimeters away from the WaveIO board.

Cheers,
Edo

Hello Edo,
order is confirmed, thank you! You can directly drive your DAC with WaveIO from isolated I2S port but you'll need to apply a 3.3Vdc power to the output side of the isolator between the V+ and any (or all) of the "Isol.GND" pins.

You can take that voltage from the digital side of your DAC but my advice is to find a small regulator like those who are replacing traditional 3 pin ones and wire its output directly to V+ and Isol.GND. Obviously, the Isol.GND pins are common with the digital GND of your DAC but NOT with the main GND of WaveIO! Any short circuit between WaveIO main GND and Isol.GND will defeat the isolation barrier!

I hope I was clear... if not simply ask or use the contact form.
Kind regards,
L

Hello Edo,
order is confirmed, thank you! You can directly drive your DAC with WaveIO from isolated I2S port but you'll need to apply a 3.3Vdc power to the output side of the isolator between the V+ and any (or all) of the "Isol.GND" pins.

You can take that voltage from the digital side of your DAC but my advice is to find a small regulator like those who are replacing traditional 3 pin ones and wire its output directly to V+ and Isol.GND. Obviously, the Isol.GND pins are common with the digital GND of your DAC but NOT with the main GND of WaveIO! Any short circuit between WaveIO main GND and Isol.GND will defeat the isolation barrier!

I hope I was clear... if not simply ask or use the contact form.
Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorien,

Sent you an email requesting the latest driver and firmware. Not sure if you received it.

-Raja

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks Lorien I didn't checked on the website.
Oh really is there not a pin copatible with much more better specs today one can change by himself maybe ? It's not a hard desoldering task for us diyers...

At least I remmember I had ordered my Wave i/o without the spidf reg I didn't need for the USB for best sound and you gently send mine out of the board. Maybe possible for the isolator chip as well !

cheers, keep up the good work and thanks for your good board that is still in my dac.

Hello,
I had some spare time to play with WaveIO firmware to (try and) solve some of the issues I had with it dating way back. If there are some of you wishing to try the firmware and report back how it works on your side then it would help me a lot!
What major changes did I made to it:

• firmware was updated to v6.15.2 (or v6.F2 as it shows in Control Panel)
  • I tried to fix LED display routines to show up the sample rate properly. I have no idea if it's working correctly on most of the OSes hence this message!

I take it slowly since this way of programming processors is a bit clumsy for me till now so please bare with me!
File is located here (or can be found on Support tab @ luckit.biz)
I strongly recommend you use latest Windows drivers to upload the bin file to avoid any issues with the firmware update and transform your WaveIO into a "clueless" board! :eek:

Kind regards,
L

Thank you Nick! I'm interested how stable this firmware is and if there are any sound side effects (pops, cracks) that you may hear during playback (all compared to the old firmware version that I'm sure you are now familiar with!)
I also want you to minimize the latency in TUSB Audio Control Panel by accessing the "Buffer Settings", uncheck "Safe Mode" and run on 8 samples.
Of course, this is heavily tied to how fast your PC is but please give it a go!
One more thing: is your DAC able to decode DSD / DoP?
Cheers,
L

Last edited:
@ Nick: thank you very much!

I started with fixing the LED display for sample rate (including "Audio Streaming" and "Host Active") and now I'm (finally) close to do that - in the way I want! Now I'm thinking to add PCM768 and DSD512 functionality to this new firmware but there's mandatory for the local oscillators to be switched with the 4x.xxx MHz counterparts. I cannot to this update using default oscillators as their frequencies (2x.xxx MHz) doesn't help me at all!
768000 * 32 * 2 = 49.152.000 Hz

In my perspective, the firmware change is rather minimal (as for now) but God knows what I'll end up with when the hardware will be upgraded as well!

Too bad you're not close to me as I would change the oscillators for your WaveIO just to run a couple of tests in parallel! :eek:
Anyway maybe there's a way for you to (easily?) change them on your side!?
I know I'm speaking about NDKs.. which are small at best... still...

@ Bob: since Nick doesn't use those LEDs I'll stress you with firmware changes just to fix that power up cycling I don't find it appropriate... even though you like it .. somehow :) May get you in a hypnotic state, I admit :hypno1:

Kind regards,
L

@ Nick: thank you very much!

I started with fixing the LED display for sample rate (including "Audio Streaming" and "Host Active") and now I'm (finally) close to do that - in the way I want! Now I'm thinking to add PCM768 and DSD512 functionality to this new firmware but there's mandatory for the local oscillators to be switched with the 4x.xxx MHz counterparts. I cannot to this update using default oscillators as their frequencies (2x.xxx MHz) doesn't help me at all!
768000 * 32 * 2 = 49.152.000 Hz

In my perspective, the firmware change is rather minimal (as for now) but God knows what I'll end up with when the hardware will be upgraded as well!

Too bad you're not close to me as I would change the oscillators for your WaveIO just to run a couple of tests in parallel! :eek:
Anyway maybe there's a way for you to (easily?) change them on your side!?
I know I'm speaking about NDKs.. which are small at best... still...

Kind regards,
L

Email sent :)