XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Forgot about a question to all of you guys: I would need help in searching for a really good power supply for the oscillators which can be squeezed in a relative small PCB space (3.3V @ 100-200mA max)? I opted for Salas but he does not like the idea to have his design implemented in a commercial product so I respect his decision and move on. There's LP5900 approach (already used in WaveIO) but I feel that is something better out there...
Thank you,
L

PFM Flea is highly recommended and small footprint.
AD797 based linear regulator, flea by name and flea power by nature but can easy be fitted with pass transistors, its a very high bandwith regulator so attention needs to be paid to layout.
Contact is Martin Clark on pfm

Last edited:
PFM Flea is highly recommended and small footprint.
AD797 based linear regulator, flea by name and flea power by nature but can easy be fitted with pass transistors, its a very high bandwith regulator so attention needs to be paid to layout.
Contact is Martin Clark on pfm

its hardly needed to license the flea, its a well used concept thats hardly unique, its pretty much exactly what I already linked and recommended. so I think as long as you make some original parts choice and do your own layout, you are free to use it how you wish. I know of at least 3 datasheets for opamps and references that include a flea type regulator.

I mean no disrespect to Martin, its a good reg and quite suitable for this application, but I really dont see that permission is needed to do something along these lines ie. a filtered low noise voltage reference, feeding a low noise opamp, with or without pass transistor, or buffer to increase the current, as long as you dont just lift the layout and BOM.

Last edited:
qusp, you will likely find Martin only to well agrees with your above statement regarding the origins of the design.
I never said ask for permission by the way, just posted his name as originator of the 'pfm flea'.
My under standing is the flea is not a commercial product, it was put together to help us all.
Lorien asked for suggestions.
Did I do something wrong perhaps ?Regards
Tony

sorry no, by including his details I presumed you were suggesting licensing it, which you would have to do only if using the layout. similar concepts have been around long before the flea, he was just the first to offer PCBs and link it with being a clock reg.

no you didnt do anything wrong, I misunderstood and I was also a touch confused at the suggestion of the flea specifically, when I already outlined in detail a similar circuit (with different modern parts) and a way to boost the current.

and I was also a touch confused at the suggestion of the flea specifically, when I already outlined in detail a similar circuit (with different modern parts) and a way to boost the current.

Yes in my speed reading big catch up of the thread I was paying attention to Lorien's post and too little attention to your post 1217

As you know I am not a regular poster here in DIYA, Ill get me coat :D

when you can get such good performance with ~10 parts, a super regulator with at least 4 times that is complete overkill. we should really stop using the name flea, its kinda limiting anyway, theres a number of variations on the theme that would be useful here. Lorien did mention compact was desirable, but then he mentioned the salas reg =)

i'm experiencing signal dropouts. it's most apparent with vocals and sounds like jittery distortion.

my usb cable is 6 feet long and i only have psu for isolated i2s. signal is fed to a 1543 module.

i don't remember experiencing this when i had the same psu hooked up to waveio ext. power instead and feeding the 1543 through direct i2s. (but then i was too busy marveling at the new sound)

i also can't seem to get it to work in linux after the psu swap- the card is recognized but no sound...

Last edited:
+1

One board for me. Thank you.

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2
13. lindamar
14. merlin el mago
15. Reo
16. arkadiush1
17. jmltinc
18. zibra
19. tagheuer
20. hochopeper
21. hacker
22. Bemused
23. vanwykca
24. sandor

Hi,
How much is the PCB?
Do you still have ultra low phase noise NDKs?
You have PM. Thank you!

[...] Lorien did mention compact was desirable, but then he mentioned the salas reg =)
We all know that "compact design" is relative thus subjective concept. If a PSU is good enough but uses a large amount of heavy parts then I could try to replace some of them with smaller ones while (try to) keep the performance for the entire design.

i'm experiencing signal dropouts. it's most apparent with vocals and sounds like jittery distortion.

my usb cable is 6 feet long and i only have psu for isolated i2s. signal is fed to a 1543 module.

i don't remember experiencing this when i had the same psu hooked up to waveio ext. power instead and feeding the 1543 through direct i2s. (but then i was too busy marveling at the new sound)

i also can't seem to get it to work in linux after the psu swap- the card is recognized but no sound...

6 feet USB cable is too long for WaveIO. In addition do not kill it (and you ears too) by using USB power instead of external one. As for Linux, there are guys here that are more experienced than me and maybe there is someone that want to help you (wlowes, PET-240 ?)

Kind regards,
Lucian

6 feet USB cable is too long for WaveIO. In addition do not kill it (and you ears too) by using USB power instead of external one. As for Linux, there are guys here that are more experienced than me and maybe there is someone that want to help you (wlowes, PET-240 ?)

Sorry Lucian I missed the earlier post from PreSapian.

@PreSapian, Can you check alsamixer for mute/unmute the card? Also try running alsa-info and posting the resulting text file link and info here.

+1 to the list:

1. hirez69
2. analog_sa
3. m.massimo
4. ozlegend
5. luisbock
6. vitalica
7. palmito
8. gabanyayaya
9. danny_66
10. shoom
11.12. kp93300 X 2
13. lindamar
14. merlin el mago
15. Reo
16. arkadiush1
17. jmltinc
18. zibra
19. tagheuer
20. hochopeper
21. hacker
22. Bemused
23. vanwykca
24. sandor
25. jrling

Thank you Chris!

Hi Lorlien,

Do you advise to use 3.3v for the isolated i2s output or is 5v delivering an equally good performance? Assuming both are low noise.

According to you and the datasheet both can be used, but I remember a discussion about low noise 3.3v regulators.

This is entirely dependant on your DAC. Is the i2s input on your DAC TTL or LVTTL tolerant?

You have PM. Thank you!

We all know that "compact design" is relative thus subjective concept. If a PSU is good enough but uses a large amount of heavy parts then I could try to replace some of them with smaller ones while (try to) keep the performance for the entire design.

Kind regards,
Lucian

True, but as I mentioned, what benefits shunts can have over other types are not really of any benefit for a clock reg IMO, the extra heat and size are just a waste of effort. For this application absolute lowest noise and the ability to place it close to the dac trumps low output impedance over a wide band and great dynamic behavior. the small flea regs are very difficult to beat for clock power, demian has posted some nice designs too, with lower noise than either and compact, but you would have to get permission.

the integrated design is interesting, with the floating clock output. I suspect you would need to substitute the output transistors for 100mA+ though

Attachments

• demian LN reg with integrated XO.jpg
    demian LN reg with integrated XO.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 496
  • demian reg clocks 2.png
    demian reg clocks 2.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 488
Last edited: