Upgrading Vintage Dunlavys Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a vintage pair of Dunlavy SC-III-A's and an S-I.CC from 2000 that I'm looking at upgrading the crossovers. My problem is that towards the end Dunlavy started recessing their backplates to be incredibly tight-fitting (see picture). Does anyone have any techniques beyond trying to push out from inside the speaker (not practical due to cabinet construction) without marring the finish?

TIA, Mark
2J87s32.jpg

Last edited:
Use a short large diameter self tapper screw (to bite into the metal plate) and then use a claw hammer levered against a piece of suitable timber (to protect the surface of the cabinet)
And if it has a sealing gasket of some kind holding it in place, you might have to use a hair dryer to heat the plate, to soften the gasket to help facilitate removal.

good luck

Unless you can do impulse response tests, swapping different parts in a seemingly upgrade on your part, you might shift parameters enough to shift what he strived hard for.

I do have the measurement equipment to ensure that I would not be changing values and these the response tests. While I am new to being a member of Audio Circle, I been in this hobby for over 40 years including stints as a service tech and audio circuit designer. Therefore, I am not concerned about that though appreciate the warning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.