Chassis ground on several places

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hello, me again...

I‘m in the pre-final stage 😇 of my F4 build, connscting stuff.

There will be 1 connection through a ICL to the chassis from the PSU (and the amp-boards connected to the PSU), the connection of the IEC safery earth, and there‘s a last one, the toroidy transformer...

I‘m not sure wether I should connect them all to 1 point only, or wether it is ok to have the star-ground on one end of the chassis, and iec-safety-earth & toroid at the other end?

Or even something else?

Thank you for advices!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Safety ground (from IEC) MUST have its own screw, NOT used for anything else. That is by safety legislation.
Thanks Russc

Will have to work a bit on that document, not too ease read for me.

That one safety IEC screw—that is really the screw, and not just the bolt?
I was going to screw down the safety ground and then the PSU GND onto that same, as I read someplace I thought was trustworthy. Plus, if I see it correctly, 6L6 did so in the build guide...
Anyway, no worries, I just try to follow the best practice / best method path...

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....That one safety IEC screw—that is really the screw, and not just the bolt?
I was going to screw down the safety ground and then the PSU GND onto that same, as I read someplace I thought was trustworthy. ...

No, *only* the wall-ground to case connection. The idea is that, in later years, some technician may disconnect grounds to replace parts/boards. And then forget to RE-connect the vital case-safety ground. So no other ground can share that screw.

In DIY you "may" do as you please, as long as nothing goes wrong. But a dedicated screw costs pennies. And if you think you need another "trustworthy" screw, get another screw.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks, guys!
yup, will do it all:
1 screw IEC safety ground, nothing else
1 screw with toroid's primary-ground, and PSU ground behind CL60. (still not sure about the toroid, but I'll see...)

follow-up question: Does it make sense to sand off the anodized stuff where the chassis-parts are connected, to make sure the whole box "has continuity"?

thanks you

Joined 2017
Paid Member
where your grounds attach.

yes, where the ground attach I will clearly, surely remove anodization.
Question was wether I should remove it where the chassis-parts connect (front, back, heatsinks, top & bottom), say 1 connection/screw @ each?

(Anodization has a "dielectric strength" of ~900V @ 30 µm...)

Which in fact answers my question, of sorts... Anodization removal will be about an hour time.

On the chassis I powder coat I make sure there is a large area of uncoated are between the panels.
But I'm not an expert by any means!

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_174743.jpg
    IMG_20200115_174743.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20200119_145857.jpg
    IMG_20200119_145857.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200122_144255.jpg
    IMG_20200122_144255.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200122_154203.jpg
    IMG_20200122_154203.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 103
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.