Unbalanced Cable Length Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You may have read it, but it isn't true.

For balanced connections, yes you want the two conductors as similar as possible. This is because balance (and twisting) is used as the interference rejection mechanism.

For unbalanced there are two interference rejection mechanisms: concentricity for magnetic fields, and shielding for electric fields. In addition there is low 'return' resistance for eliminating the effect of stray ground currents. Shielded TP only has one of these.

Thanks for the clarification DF96. I thought I read more than once here on DIY that the signal and return should be similar even in unbalanced ICs. At SJ, I don't know.
There are countless audiophile misunderstanding and myths. Having similar conductors in unbalanced interconnects, is just one of them.

An unbalanced interconnect should be a coax cable with a heavy braided shield.
All the other details are rather unimportant.

$63 is a lot of money for a bit of cable.
It certainly is if you know how to select the cables / connectors for the application and assemble them reliably, and have the time, and the tools, and the components to hand without making a special order etc.

But BJ have taken the time to select an appropriate low-capacitance, well-shielded cable, and appear to take similar care with connectors and termination. For those to whom these things matter, they put it all together (except for HDMI, I believe) in the US while providing decent benefits. 63 bucks for 2 11' interconnects doesn't seem wildly outrageous in that context.

They also generally seem to avoid spouting magical-thinking ******** about all of the above, and are happy to let you know what bulk cables they use and why rather than fraudulently claiming they have some special sauce that defies physics.

I suppose this all makes me a bit of a sucker for their business model. I still make my own RCAs / XLRs etc but I'm happy to use BJ for digital / RF cables.

Last edited:
It certainly is if you know how to select the cables / connectors for the application and assemble them reliably, and have the time, and the tools, and the components to hand without making a special order etc.

But BJ have taken the time to select an appropriate low-capacitance, well-shielded cable, and appear to take similar care with connectors and termination. For those to whom these things matter, they put it all together (except for HDMI, I believe) in the US while providing decent benefits. 63 bucks for 2 11' interconnects doesn't seem wildly outrageous in that context.

They also generally seem to avoid spouting magical-thinking ******** about all of the above, and are happy to let you know what bulk cables they use and why rather than fraudulently claiming they have some special sauce that defies physics.

I suppose this all makes me a bit of a sucker for their business model. I still make my own RCAs / XLRs etc but I'm happy to use BJ for digital / RF cables.

I appreciate all the information. Yes, I could make the same cables but i think I'll throw BJC my bucks for the reasons stated above. Thanks all!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.