Burning Amp 2021 - Oct 16 & 17th, Fort Mason SF

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I’m starting to believe this BAF 2021 thing will actually happen.

My wife and I had a great time at BAF 2019...well she enjoyed San Francisco...especially the different food we tried and the places we walked.

I wish there was something I could actually rope her into participating in at BAF itself.

She mainly hung around reading books and smiled politely when I got excited about meeting Nelson or someone else.

I have a pretty good excuse to book the trip as it falls on my birthday this year.

I’m wondering if I need to wait to see whether the situation with Covid doesn’t create a no-go.

Road trip and USA go together like ham on rye? apple and pie? burger and chips?

There's definitely something to be said for that. If the border is open, I'm sorta tempted to go to RMAF the weekend before, then BAF, before circling through the Pacific Northwest and Vancouver Island to visit friends there before heading home. It would probably be a three-week trip.

Then again, going three weeks without shipping orders is pretty hard on the business. Tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Tom

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Monk55:

It really depends. There are a lot of nice hotels in the area around Union Square, which is a 45-50 minute walk to Fort Mason. Fisherman's Wharf is 10 minutes from Fort Mason, but it's ground zero for tourist excursions, junk and mediocre (or worse) restaurants. If your plan is to Uber everywhere, where you stay may be less of an issue but, if you plan on walking, you might consider looking at a topographical map to see just how high the hills are between prospective hotels and where you plan on going; walking between Fort Mason and the Union Square area on Taylor or Mason Streets always leaves me huffing and embarrassingly sweaty; taking Columbus Ave is longer but far less taxing.

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2010
Paid Member
"Jukebox Marriott"

780 Mission is the what the locals call the "Jukebox Marriott". Not close to Fort Mason, but right in the heart of the Market Street/Union Square area. Looks like a great price on a very nice place to stay.

If you are searching for something closer to Fort Mason, enter "Fisherman's Wharf", "Cow Hollow", and "Marina" as neighborhood choices in hotels.com. SF is an expensive town, but it looks like you can get a lot of decent choices in the $100-$200 a night range.

I ended up staying at the edge of the Tenderloin last time and won't do that again. The hotel itself was OK but you couldn't walk around except to go out to Van Ness, hardly a scenic street. The other option and a delicious one was to go across the street to Brenda's French soul food. Kin Khao at the Parc 55 hotel is the best Thai food I've ever had, truly different. I stayed at the Parc 55 about 6-7 years ago, the other end of the Tenderloin, but at least also on the edge of Union Sq neighborhood.

Maybe I'll come again this year, if nothing else for the food. This is assuming everything is open again. Getting flights could be a problem as I fly standby for free but my guess is travel will be booming again.

I should add that I used the bus, streetcar, metro and BART to get around. I still have the MUNI app on my phone and would buy an all day pass each day. I also rented a bike one day and rode out beyond Sausalito and all over the city itself. I'd never try to use a car in SF.

Last edited: