2016 Burning Amp fundraiser auction: FirstWatt VFET/SIT amp 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This year the Burning Amp festival is holding a special fundraiser and thanks to a generous donation by Nelson Pass and FirstWatt we will be auctioning off a fully-built VFET/SIT amplifier described in the article Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2.

There are only eight of these amplifiers built by Nelson himself, and of those this is the only one that you can actually buy and own.

I will be posting more info here as well as a link to the actual auction in a few days time. Stay tuned!

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One billion dollars!

Attachments

• drevil.jpg
    drevil.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 667
Will this be for attendants only or for everybody? We could raise a lot more money if members can participate online.

Yes, everybody will be able to participate, worldwide. The amp will be sold via an Ebay auction so that anyone, anywhere can bid on it. Both domestic and international shipping will be available, or you can pick it up in person at Burning Amp.

I'm planning for the auction to run for 30 days, starting early next week. Once the auction is up and running I will post a link in this thread.

Have you considered a raffle? This would make it much more fun and Mr. Pass could draw the winning number at the BAF.

It also makes it a bit more fair for everyone since it allows everybody to buy one or more tickets at simbolic cost (10$ or 20$ for example). It might also increase the "revenue" as everybody contributes.

An auction will give no chance to those with smaller budgets like me...

the ticket buying could easily be made in the diyaudiostore I guess.

Have you considered a raffle?
the ticket buying could easily be made in the diyaudiostore I guess.

I like it !

Limitations of lottery are:
- you can't ensure that the amp get's to a person, who has a real appreciation of what they get.
- you can't ensure, that you sell enough tickets to cover your cost.

However, I guess with the DIY-community here, it might be possible to overcome these hurdles ;)

Last edited:
I like it !

Limitations of lottery are:
- you can't ensure that the amp get's to a person, who has a real appreciation of what they get.
- you can't ensure, that you sell enough tickets to cover your cost.

However, I guess with the DIY-community here, it might be possible to overcome these hurdles ;)

Actually I disagree with you on both points:

-the amp was donated by Mr. Pass for a fundraiser there is no cost here.

-being the person who pays the highest bid doesn't ensure that they appreciate the amplifier, just that they have the deepest pockets.
Appreciation and price are not correlated at all.

Here is some new info on the auction for this amplifier:

• The auction will be conducted via Ebay.
  • The duration of the auction will be 10 days (the Ebay maximum).
  • The starting bid is $2,500 - if no one bids more than that Nelson would like to keep it himself!
  • I will announce the winner here.
  • It is not mandatory to show the amp at Burning Amp, however, if the buyer wishes to do so and pick up the amp in person at Burning Amp, that is welcome.
  • Shipping can be arranged to anywhere in the world where such an item can be sent.
  • Buyer to pay all shipping costs in addition to the cost of the winning bid.
Since the auction is limited to 10 days in duration, I will announce the start date here in advance so that no one is surprised or misses out. Please check back here for more information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.