Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well the SKpre is all discrete I believe, you can just hookup some wallwart PSU's , so no problems with that.... His bass extender looks quite good to, might be a nice option for my hawthorne OB's

Here's a quote from another DIY site ( Greg ball) :

"Maybe also a reasonable no-hype reg for the Squeezebox and Orion XO's. Some are asking $300 for them. Can you believe it? "

So that might be on his schedule ! I'll send him an email
:)

robert1325 said:
well the SKpre is all discrete I believe, you can just hookup some wallwart PSU's , so no problems with that.... His bass extender looks quite good to, might be a nice option for my hawthorne OB's

Here's a quote from another DIY site ( Greg ball) :

"Maybe also a reasonable no-hype reg for the Squeezebox and Orion XO's. Some are asking $300 for them. Can you believe it? "

So that might be on his schedule ! I'll send him an email
:)

Yes, I'd prefer discrete over the op-amp one, just hope it does not add too much signature, I'd personally use a nice regulation with any pre, the sound is always better imo but let us know how it sounds if you decide to try it:)

robert1325 said:
Greg, (SKA) wrote me back and told me his SKpre would work as a buffer/pre for the Squeezebox.... I'll have to save up some money for two of his boards:smash:

Well good luck with those, problem with this hobby is having to pay for all the stuff you want to try:)

Out of interest is there any part numbers on those green Sanyo caps? I've tried searching for some info on these to see how the specs compare against the FM's.
Apart from CE is there any other lettering? I noticed they look the same as ones used in the Lite DAC-AH, they are supposed to be WG but is this stamped on the sleeve

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
t. said:
Out of interest is there any part numbers on those green Sanyo caps? I've tried searching for some info on these to see how the specs compare against the FM's.

The Sanyo's are here:
http://www.edc.sanyo.com/pdf/alu/E62.pdf
(bottom of the page)

And the Panny FM are here:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/ABA0000CE108.pdf
(page 4)

The 1500uF Sanyo and the 2700uF panny actualy have the same ESR. Ripple current is higher on the panny, but it's a bigger cap.

The Sanyos look like a good choice from the specs - they are low ESR - Trends made a good choice. It may simply be the larger cap in the upgrade that works the magic. Or it maybe that the Panasonic meets its specs better - who knows?
The Panasonics work well for me! Perhaps we should try the Sanyo in a larger value?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I read this thread and bought some TA10 amps. After having heard them I found they did not sound the same. I decided to buy the upgrade parts anyway and I opened the case of the least impressive sounding one. This is what I found. Apparently Trends Audio uses a cleaning fluid for cleaning the PCBs that is quite aggressive. This particular amp was new out of the package. The amps have not been exposed to moist of any kind. The enclosures and connectors look OK.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The first one showing severe corrosion of the output coils.

Attachments

• dscf000355.jpg
    dscf000355.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 575
panomaniac said:

The Sanyo's are here:
http://www.edc.sanyo.com/pdf/alu/E62.pdf
(bottom of the page)

And the Panny FM are here:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/ABA0000CE108.pdf
(page 4)

The 1500uF Sanyo and the 2700uF panny actualy have the same ESR. Ripple current is higher on the panny, but it's a bigger cap.

The Sanyos look like a good choice from the specs - they are low ESR - Trends made a good choice. It may simply be the larger cap in the upgrade that works the magic. Or it maybe that the Panasonic meets its specs better - who knows?
The Panasonics work well for me! Perhaps we should try the Sanyo in a larger value?

Thats vert helpful, thanks Michael:)
The main reason I asked is because these green and gold Sanyo caps seem to be getting popular especially in Chinese dacs, only markings on them is Sanyo, the value and voltage then CE with 105C and the dates.
Maybe the ones in the Trends are better than the ones I've seen, I have never tried the Panasonic FM series yet but will give them a go in my Amp6, I've tried dozens of other caps in there though

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The third one showing corrosion of the input caps from another angle.

I reported to Trends Audio that there is an error in their manufacturing process. My guess is that an aggressive fluid is being used to clean the PCBs or that a flux is used with some kind of acid in it. Trends Audio is willing to RMA the amps. I thought I just let you all know.

Attachments

• dscf000655.jpg
    dscf000655.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 538
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.