Low distortion Class D amplifiers? What to expect?

That's the test results of the numbers at full rated power. The power at clipping is about 10-15% more than rated power. So it's not THD at "the limit of what it can put out", there's some headroom. Either way, I don't think Bryston would be a standard in mastering studios around the world if they made their business out of lying to their customers. We can completely bypass any claims as to the validity of those numbers - I have all trust in them I need to have.

Yes but that 1% number isn't indicative at all of the performance below clipping. Rather its an indication of the degree of clipping for the 400W output power.

Right, in that case I'll need to figure out the best-case THD numbers, i.e. at what power the numbers are the best. For example, for Bruno's designs, the THD goes down gradually as power increases, and then shoots up by about 60dB at the limit.

However, either way the amplifier you are talking about is going to have good THD at a power that's less than 600W - so what can I do?

Yes the graphs are of THD+N as I said earlier. But your claim concerns THD, not THD+N. Hence my question.

To put the question another way :

When the THD+N measurements are dominated by the 'N' component, how are you able to deduce the THD contribution?

Last edited:
The noise is rated at -117 dB. This was calculated from 20*log((100* ((11.5/1000000)/sqrt(425 * 4)))/20).

The lowest point on the THD+N graph is at 0.0000015, i.e. -114 dB. Therefore the distortion is going to be by far the main component almost everywhere except for the dip where it's merely a little larger than the noise.

It doesn't matter. What I was saying that Class D designs seem to have a sweet spot somewhere close to, but not at max rated power. You mentioned the THD at max rated power. So it would make sense to find out the best case THD, and what power that is at. But either way it won't be 600W.. so I'm not sure this is the right project to be looking at.

The lowest point on the THD+N graph is at 0.0000015, i.e. -114 dB. Therefore the distortion is going to be by far the main component almost everywhere except for the dip where it's merely a little larger than the noise.

You misinterpret the graph - the opposite is the case. Noise dominates everywhere except just prior to clipping. As you'd expect in a SoTA amplifier designed with no holds barred to minimize THD.

I read the thread, did not understand what thread author want to achieve. 300W is a bit
too much on the hot side for closed vanues(or studio) especialy if this power directly conected to conventional voice coil dynamics speakers. if for some (unknown) reason a high SPL is needed its much wiser to change efcienty of electro acoustical converter-speakers(like going compression drivers based speakers) amp dicortion of 0.5% at 300W output are only small fraction of discortion of complete system( amp, speakers, energized room). also output of EAC are not proportional to input power.
if low discortion are main plan, changing speaker type and checking studio walls with accelerometer whould be my first plans. thread starter barking on wrong tree(amp) todays amps (since ~1975) have astonishing low dicrotions which are not measurable by "analog scopes"- human ear

just my 2cents.