Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Embarrassing question re icepower module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2021, 04:17 PM   #11
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Follow jean-paul's good advice for the best performance. Your finished ICEpower module in a Ghent case should look like this:

Embarrassing question re icepower module-img_3693-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3693-small.jpg (903.4 KB, 57 views)
Pass Aleph J, F5, F6, M2x, ACA, ACP+, B1, B1 Korg; Colburn BA2018; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35, ST-70; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX
Old 14th January 2021, 06:04 PM   #12
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

@miv71: I noticed you have the bottom of the case rotated 180 degrees from what was the design intent. Ghent has made things simple for DIYers by masking the anodizing for key ground points at the AC ground connection and at the PC board connection (near P104) to assure proper grounding. Make sure you scrape away the anodizing at your AC ground connection for safety. Also make sure you use a brass spacer at the PC board mounting screw near P104 and scape the anodizing to assure a proper ground. (The three other spacers can be nylon since these mounting holes do not provide a ground connection.) Alternately, you can simply rotate the board 180 degrees. This will also provide a mounting point for attaching the provided 20mm nylon spacer from the bottom of the case to the switch assembly for added mechanical integrity.

Best of luck getting your amp running. I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Pass Aleph J, F5, F6, M2x, ACA, ACP+, B1, B1 Korg; Colburn BA2018; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35, ST-70; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX
Old 14th January 2021, 09:26 PM   #13
miv71 is offline miv71  Canada
diyAudio Member

Fixed! It was the jumper, which I'd not even known existed as a thing until Tuberoller suggested I check it.

Thanks to everyone for their advice; I promise I will tidy up the wires when I can access more solder in Ontario's new lockdown.

For now, I'm just going to work my way through my library of favourite albums, and see if this amp actually serves my Miller & Kreisel speakers any better than the FX-Pro amp I've been using to date.

Thanks again!
Old 14th January 2021, 09:44 PM   #14
silverD is offline silverD  United States
diyAudio Member

Please verify the channel inputs are correct and verify any turn on/off thump before connecting any speakers of consequence.
Nate
  Reply to this post

Embarrassing question re icepower moduleHide this!Advertise here!