Help on programming Hypex FA502 D-Class Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and therefore this is my first Post. I've recently finished building some rather special and rather large high fidelity loudspeakers. Each stereo side is in two parts; the top cabinet contains one GPA 16' full-range driver and will be passively driven by external amplifier, whilst the bottom cabinet contains twin SEAS 10' subwoofers and will be driven by it's own Hypex FA502 D-Class power amplifier configured in bridge mode to drive both subwoofers in mono at 1000 watts (per stereo side).
My limited experience in programming amplifiers is my problem and before the Hypex can be 'woken up' the free software download, needs to configure the amps. Easier said than done...
What with the total lock-down here in New Zealand due to the horrible CV outbreak, I can't get any external physical assistance, and it's killing me slowly just starring at these beautiful speakers with no sound... Any electronics sound guru's out there who can enlighten me will be much appreciated.

thanks, I did have a look at that but couldn't work out exactly what I need to do. I don't think I need to go into so much detail as my signal will already be filtered via my processor (LFE)
Plus I'm only using 1 driver with both channels bridged. I have managed to bridge both channels but that's about it so far.

Thanks

No luck so far. Like you, my setup should be quite forward as I'm bridging the FA502 to power 2 x 10" subwoofers per stereo side at 1000 watts per amp. The signal will come from the 'Pre-Out' on my Musical fidelity A5 amp. The A5 will power the main 16" full-range drivers (GPA).

I've managed to setup the bridge, source (RCA), Ohms and max Watts, but it's the Filter Presets and Biquads thats making me scratch my head. I've asked Hypex Technical to assist, but still waiting on a reply... Will post more as I know more.

I've asked the Technical department at Hypex, but I'm still waiting for assistance. The free software download to program and 'wake up' the FA502 amps is fine and most probably be a breeze to setup if you're a Sound Engineer guru, but for a novice it's like learning another language...

Since your only drivers are 10" woofers, you don't need to be as cautious as others about making a mistake and blowing a tweeter.

So you have two 10" per side, and a FA502 for each side, yes?

To make things easier on yourself, you do not have to bridge the amps... each amp has two 500 W channels, and you have two drivers. Put a driver on each channel, and therefore each 10" woofer will be driven by its own 500 W amp. You can always bridge it later after you have worked out the amp set up.

However, your latest post says you have already worked out the bridge part.

You are letting your processor do the filtering for the woofers, yes? if so, you need just one biquad in the filter. Follow the instructions in the Setting up a Fusion Amp 3-way Step-by-Step link. Open the filter design screen, and position your curser on the frequency response graph at about 1000 hz and 0 db. right click to add a new filter. over on the left side of the screen you will now have options to select the type of filter. Try a "unity" filter (which basically means no filter at all). Then copy Preset 1 to Preset 2, then copy to Preset 3. follow the instructions to upload all presets to DSP. That is it. you are done.

If "unity" does not work, select a "Low Pass 1" filter at 1000 hz. This filter will not interfere with your existing sub filter in your processor.

Does this make sense?

Firstly, thanks hifijim for your assistance.

Yes, twin SEAS 10" subwoofer drivers driven by 1 FA502 for each stereo side

I'll change this back so each driver has it's own 500 W amp in momo.

I wish to drive the two FA502 via the Pre-Out on my Musical Fidelity A5 via RCA cables. Each RCA let and right channels going to respective amp sides so each twin drivers are in sync and mono.

I have tried both your methods; - with 'Unity' first which hasn't;t worked, the I tried setting the Filters with your second option, selecting 'Low Pass 1' and neither does this work...

I've added an image of the speakers for your interest. At present the main speakers (full-range drivers) are working bautifully, but no luck with the bass units... Yet!

I'm obviously missing something, but I've triple-checked very setting in the software, without finding the culprit.

Any more advice, and be nice;-)

Attachments

• P1030693.jpg
    P1030693.jpg
    754.1 KB · Views: 120
On the main screen, make sure the Force Input is set to "analogue RCA".

Make sure the volume is set no lower than -40 db, and make sure the mute setting is not checked.

Make sure you are on preset 1.

You can use the "VU" checkbox to make sure that your fusion amp is getting a signal through the RCA cables. see page 11 of the "HFD_4.95_Help.pdf" document.

Are you certain you have uploaded the filter to DSP? If the amp does not have a filter loaded for a given preset, it will be muted until it gets a filter.

That is all I can think of right now.

Analogue RCA is set for both sides. I've just set volume to -40 db and both are set to Preset 1.

Unfortunately, in 'VU' Input/Output Level, only Input has a signal. The output has no signal. See diagram. The Mute box is unticked. I've double-checked and loaded up the filter to DSP and checked all cables are in they're correct places. Still no output signal to the bass units.

This one is a real head scratcher...

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpg
    IMG_4052.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 115
Since my last reply, I have had some assistance from Hypex and along with the help from hifijim, the team at Hypex helped solve the issues. All is working well now.

Like anything; once you know, it's quite straightforward (not).

The reason why there was no output signal was that the Hypex volume control needed to be closer to 0.00 dB rather than at it's minimum -96 dB.

Now I should be able to tweak these amps/bass speakers to suit the sound outputs from the main drivers...

If you use analogue input on FA from a pre-out, there is no need to reduce the output to -40 dB other than level matching to the other speakers.
At the picture there is -52 dB input, which means -92 dB output because you reduced the output by 40 dB, assuming you uploaded a unity filter with 0 dB gain (are you sure you uploaded?). I don't say that is your problem but maybe.
In the filter design section there is a channel mute option too, red is muted, green is un-muted.

Edit: ohh I was slow I see :)

Last edited:
I also use RCA inputs from a preamp.

Once I got my filter designed, I set the volume at 0 db, although I may change it to -3 or -6 so that the preamp volume control has more useable range (right now I hit an uncomfortably loud volume at about the 11:00 position, and I would like that to be more like a 2:00 position).

The fusion amp is rated for a maximum RCA input of 2.2 V RMS. This is implies (to me) that maximum output of the fusion amp is achieved when the input is 2.2 V. If I am wrong about that assumption, I hope someone corrects me.

I am happy my limited knowledge has been useful to you S57... I am about 1 week ahead of you, having just gotten my amps up and running about a week ago.

Your speakers look great. Very high level of craftsmanship.

I fired them up this morning (not to early) and was blown away by the shear size and depth of the soundstage and musicality. I could waffle on and insert big words to describe my experience from these new 'Stratosphere 57's' but the easiest and most straight forward explanation is 'brilliant.'

Set at 0.00 dB volume on the FA502's, it's more or less on the mark. Of course, I do need to do quite a bit more listening and the drivers need breaking in too.

I designed the S57's with influences from the world-famous and very collectable 1957 Stratocaster guitar, hence Stratosphere 57's...

Will be interesting to know what you're project is all about hifijim?

PS. You're a little late there YSDR, but thanks anyway for your input!

My project is a 3 way system with separate woofer cabinets. Not really subwoofers, since I intend to cross them over at 150 Hz to 200 Hz.

I went with separate cabinets because (1) I want the flexibility to place the woofer cabinets in the optimum location for each, and (2) I want to be able to experiment with different satellite drivers in the future, and this configuration is modular and easily upgraded.

In the first pic, the satellites are finished but the speaker stands are still in a state of construction. The fusion amps are located in the speaker stands.

In the second pic, I am giving the system the first serious listen with music. The woofer cabinets still need to be veneered in walnut (which is this mornings project). The speaker stands are veneered in maple. The satellites are two-toned mahogany, with the cabinet in a lighter Brazilian mahogany and the baffle in a darker African mahogany.

Attachments

• 20200312_175631.jpg
    20200312_175631.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200404_152934.jpg
    20200404_152934.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 89
Separate cabinets are the way to go in my opinion, and especially so with the bass drivers being Active via Hypex (or others) power amps. With this configuration one can be more flexible and choose a suitable amp just to concentrate on the main speaker/drivers.

Be nice to see what they look like when complete. Best of luck and enjoy the construction ride...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.