IMG Stageline STA-800D

Hi amigos,

You can see a test here for the 1000D + 2000D :

I personnaly prefer the architecture of the STA 800D over the 1000D :

p1030746.jpg

https://www.tools4music.de/index.ph...oken=88ed6ee4e8f77ea00c3c62c5ba4422b0734429a5

Last edited:
So I decided to go for the STA-1000D. Pascal seemed like the better choice for me.

I have removed the potentiometers, and shorted the connectors on the input buffer, so the amplifier is at full gain, and I control volume with my Stream Magic. It sounds very powerful and effortless. Even more so than my previous 4 x L15DSMD amplifier, which has the same wattage. This amp really sounds full and loud. Has a very low noise floor, and is pretty detailed. Best part is the bass. Plentiful and very controlled. I'm very impressed!
I ordered som SIP8 to DIP8 adapters on pedalpcb, and will be installing 4 DIP8 sockets on the original input buffer. This way I keep the bridge functionality, XLR inputs and all the front LED's.
I also installed a 5V relay board internally that is in parallel with the power button. This allows me to turn on the amplifier with my Stream Magic's USB port as trigger. No on/off pop. No problems at all. Just impressively good sound for not that high a price. Runs very cool. Never heard the fan run at all.

This amp only uses Speakon so I had to put on new connectors on my black rhodium cables.
20200401_185955.jpg

Testing. Those 19" rack mounts had to go. Too bad they didn't make them removable.
20200401_193101.jpg

I cut off the rack mounts and filed the rest down. I also put on a Type K danish specific plug with pin earth.
20200401_231200.jpg

Original input buffer with temporary short in the potentiometer connector.
20200403_000002.jpg

4 Pieces of NJM4558LD. Where the f*** did they get those? Thought SIP8 went extinct. Will be replaced for sure!
20200330_182914.jpg

I twisted the output cables on the Pascal module. I always heard you should do that on Class D. I also installed the aforementioned 5V relay in this picture. I used an rca plug temporarily as trigger input, but I ordered a usb plug from china and will be replacing it.(Not in picture)
20200404_235237.jpg

Last edited:
What about the buffer in this Pascal Board ? What kind of Op Amp inside ?

Thanks for sharing )

I'm not sure what you mean. The STA-1000D input buffer has NJM4558LD. As far as I know, the Pascal S-Pro 2 itself does not have an input buffer, and is not recommended to be driven without one. Eva elaborates on this in another Pascal thread in here. He/she does not sound to fond of these Pascal boards, though. If these boards are bad from a technical stand point, I'm pretty sure its on purpose, because it sounds incredible at this price point. I'm never going back to Class AB.

I'm not sure what you mean. The STA-1000D input buffer has NJM4558LD. As far as I know, the Pascal S-Pro 2 itself does not have an input buffer, and is not recommended to be driven without one. Eva elaborates on this in another Pascal thread in here. He/she does not sound to fond of these Pascal boards, though. If these boards are bad from a technical stand point, I'm pretty sure its on purpose, because it sounds incredible at this price point. I'm never going back to Class AB.

Thanks for the feedback.
I am still hesitating between the double Mono Hypex STA800D and this one.
I will take my time anyway ) let s reflect

I got a cheap one on Amazon.de (and Im from Denmark). It was labelled Open Box. Came in original box. Everything was plastic wrapped and twisty tied. Dont know why they had the box open, but it was like 20% cheaper. I goes for 379€ in Germany. In Denmark it sells for 450-460€. Thats a pretty big markup.

Hi

I ordered mine immediatly after your hint. i let it run nearly a week in my lab on 4 R load (some hours every day brake included) and about 1-2W each channel. 378 euro over amazon- deliverd in 5 days.

My DAC Gustard A20H is connected with RCA (via blue NF6 Silver) and i compared it to my Class D - TPA3251EVM:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-amp-photo-gallery-153.html#post6151650

The STA 800D is very powerful amp for sure - i dont need that power at home - but the SQ is not as good as my amp. Speakers are Sonus Faber 1,5 venere or open baffle W5-2143 + 1x12" sub. the sound is fine no hard high but the room and holographic interpretation of the STA800D is much smaller. some instruments lack in natural sound- I mean that e.g. a piano is aslways a little smaller and a trumpet is not swinging out "correctly".

thanks for that hint

chris

Hi
I ordered mine immediatly after your hint. i let it run nearly a week in my lab on 4 R load (some hours every day brake included) and about 1-2W each channel. 378 euro over amazon- deliverd in 5 days.
My DAC Gustard A20H is connected with RCA (via blue NF6 Silver) and i compared it to my Class D - TPA3251EVM:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/87913-class-amp-photo-gallery-153.html#post6151650
The STA 800D is very powerful amp for sure - i dont need that power at home - but the SQ is not as good as my amp. Speakers are Sonus Faber 1,5 venere or open baffle W5-2143 + 1x12" sub. the sound is fine no hard high but the room and holographic interpretation of the STA800D is much smaller. some instruments lack in natural sound- I mean that e.g. a piano is aslways a little smaller and a trumpet is not swinging out "correctly".
thanks for that hint
chris

Thanks for the feedback, really useful
So you prefer the TPA3251EVM, better soundstage If I understand ?
Dead silence between songs as the TPA3251 or more noisy ?

Thanks for the feedback, really useful
So you prefer the TPA3251EVM, better soundstage If I understand ?
Dead silence between songs as the TPA3251 or more noisy ?

If you play the first seconds you realize that the "fog" is gone - more "darkness" the voices and instruments are not "sticky" at the speakers - the TPA is more playing "without " realizing that the sound comes from the speakers chassis- if you can follow me;)

chris

If you play the first seconds you realize that the "fog" is gone - more "darkness" the voices and instruments are not "sticky" at the speakers - the TPA is more playing "without " realizing that the sound comes from the speakers chassis- if you can follow me;)
chris

I perfectly realize. I feel the same with my TPA3251 with the OPA upgrade.
When I place myself exactly equidistant from my speakers, and align my position, I have the impression that the musicians are sometimes in front of me ! The Soundstage is absolutely awesome.

So I decided to go for the STA-1000D. Pascal seemed like the better choice for me.

I have removed the potentiometers, and shorted the connectors on the input buffer, so the amplifier is at full gain, and I control volume with my Stream Magic. It sounds very powerful and effortless. Even more so than my previous 4 x L15DSMD amplifier, which has the same wattage. This amp really sounds full and loud. Has a very low noise floor, and is pretty detailed. Best part is the bass. Plentiful and very controlled. I'm very impressed!
I ordered som SIP8 to DIP8 adapters on pedalpcb, and will be installing 4 DIP8 sockets on the original input buffer. This way I keep the bridge functionality, XLR inputs and all the front LED's.
I also installed a 5V relay board internally that is in parallel with the power button. This allows me to turn on the amplifier with my Stream Magic's USB port as trigger. No on/off pop. No problems at all. Just impressively good sound for not that high a price. Runs very cool. Never heard the fan run at all.
Do you get noise with the 1000D? What's the sensitivity of your speakers?
I have L15D- and L25D-based amps, too. With my 95 dB sensitivity speakers they are quite noisy. They seem to have deteriorated over time (since 2013), so I'm considering to switch to the S-PRO2 modules, too.