Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

I have a hard time to believe the power supply cannot make a difference. In the 1ET400A data sheet they talk about the importance of the supplies ability to handle supply pumping. There is also many other variables that will affect dynamics in which a high PSRR will not be able to overcome.

You and everyone else. Me included but I'm happy to suspend that belief or at least not get up tight about it.

Supply pumping is a low frequency issue that exists in all half bridge circuits without active correction. You are warned about it because if you are going to run at maximum voltages it might kill output devices through overvoltage. The solution is to put enough capacitance, crappy or otherwise, on the rails to cope with it.

Picking it as an excuse to introduce other mumbles is a straw man.

"There is also many other variables that will blah..." is blah and becomes complete and utter blah when the designer places a low pass filter between your power supply and the unit it is supplying.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
No... actually the problem here is that the Purifi Power Module is apparently so immune to external disturbances outside of its input that there is no way to approach it in DIY terms beyond what you supply to that input.

Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

The point of the post was to suggest or otherwise indicate the high probability that your choice of power supply and any claims you wish to make about it assuming it can supply the required power are immediately negated by the existence of that filter on the Power Module irrespective of whether your power supply is regulated, unregulated or has crappy capacitors.

Well, if (and this is a big if) the Purifi modules are immune to external disturbances (in the power supply) then even better, for me it means that my (unproven) subjective impressions must be related to the module and not to the power supply. Which also means I did the right choice in saving a bit of money, right?

Regarding whether "it can supply the required power", the doubt was not cast by me, but by the troll(ing participant).

All it prompted was a single question about where the output inductor was prior to getting back to talking about nothing in particular.

You can add a facepalm here. i did not see that huge thing in front of my eyes.

So, your point is? You could not prove the module has better PSRR or that the reason is those two chokes (TBH this is very very likely), you have mistaken me for the person that attacked me and .... what?

Roberto

The module has its stated PSSR. The module includes the filter. It is likely that it is there because the amplifier represents a negative impedance to the supply in extreme of what might be found elsewhere. If you wish to find reasons why something might sound different you would do better to consider those factors. That would be my point.

Anyone know what the actual active device(s) are on the Mike's board for the Purifi modules?

You need to purchase $1000 in credit to find out what he's up to now. I'm on the fence myself. Another reason I think the Hypex supply is a better choice is resale value. Because if I end up buying one of the Mivera all in 1 boxes, I will sell my Purifi kit. And will likely be hard to sell with any supply other than the Hypex. Unless Purifi builds their own that is.

A very interesting text from somebody just freshly registered, in total 7 contributions but already shilling for Mivera products so seamlessly that Mike Davies could not do it better. Himself.
Him?

You need to purchase $1000 in credit to find out what he's up to now. I'm on the fence myself. Another reason I think the Hypex supply is a better choice is resale value. Because if I end up buying one of the Mivera all in 1 boxes, I will sell my Purifi kit. And will likely be hard to sell with any supply other than the Hypex. Unless Purifi builds their own that is.

A very interesting text from somebody just freshly registered, in total 7 contributions but already shilling for Mivera products so seamlessly that Mike Davies could not do it better. Himself.
Him?

This must be the behaviour that has caused his decision. It's a shame how a few bad apples can spoil the whole batch for everyone. I will bow out now because I have better things to do.

closed account
Joined 2007
Long term reliability is also an important factor for me. The Hypex SMPS1200 has been used by Mola Mola, NAD, Bel Canto, Merrill Audio, Nord, Apollon, Rouge Audio, March Audio, Acoustic Imagery, ATM, and probably more. Can the same be said for any of the alternatives?

The same cannot be said for any of the alternatives for various reasons, including the fact that it is easier to purchase a PSU that has all the right voltages than "patching" it together from various options. The hypex is also solid, comes from a company with reputation, and has decent components, so it should last.

and...

The same cannot be said for any of the alternatives for various reasons, including the fact that it is easier to purchase a PSU that has all the right voltages than "patching" it together from various options. The hypex is also solid, comes from a company with reputation, and has decent components, so it should last.

And of course, none of that means that other SMPS are "worse", or might not offer better performance. Just being readily available, easy to implement, and reliable does not make the Hypex supplies the best possible option for performance. I think it is interesting to note the newer technology offered by the Connex supplies might have a performance advantage. This is DIYaudio, one can play it "safe" and use Hypex, or one can experiment with alternative supplies and report their findings. i am looking forward to trying the Connex as an alternative, and running a linear supply for the +/- 18 VDC needs of the Purifi.

And of course, none of that means that other SMPS are "worse", or might not offer better performance. Just being readily available, easy to implement, and reliable does not make the Hypex supplies the best possible option for performance. I think it is interesting to note the newer technology offered by the Connex supplies might have a performance advantage. This is DIYaudio, one can play it "safe" and use Hypex, or one can experiment with alternative supplies and report their findings. i am looking forward to trying the Connex as an alternative, and running a linear supply for the +/- 18 VDC needs of the Purifi.

I need to highlighted something else as what is very important. Has anybody thought about the safety certificates? All Hypex SMPS' are having a safety certificate. If you know what this cost than you will also understand why our SMPS' are more expensive...

Mike at Mivera uses the Hypex supply for his amps as well. When he was talking about the dirty Hypex supply in the quote Maty shared from his forum earlier, he was referring to the unregulated Aux rails. Which he provides with his own supplies. For the main rails he said the Hypex supply is the best. And it's also likely if you want to put the CE mark on your products like Mike does, the Connex supply would be a no go.

Excellent point...

I need to highlighted something else as what is very important. Has anybody thought about the safety certificates? All Hypex SMPS' are having a safety certificate. If you know what this cost than you will also understand why our SMPS' are more expensive...

Excellent point Jan-Peter. And I might add my two SMPS 600s have been running continuously for years without any problems, good reliability here for Hypex.

Haha....don't you know that nowadays CE stands for "China Export"? :D:rolleyes::wiz:

No, it doesn't - and it never did.

Answer to a written question - China Export (CE) mark feeding off the reputation of the European Conformite europeenne (CE) mark - P-5938/2007

"The Commission is aware that there exists the misconception attributing CE marking the meaning ‘Chinese export’. The Commission is not aware of the existence of a ‘China export mark’ but considers that the mark the Honourable Member refers to constitute the CE marking as foreseen in the European legislation without, however, respecting the dimensions and proportions prescribed therein."