Tpa3116 pop/thump when power on/off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
You could even say the protectionboard will work as intended when connected as intended, and just say the ampboard won't work as intended then, when you raise the volume a little.

If you use it as intended, the GND on the protection board will short the GND and negative of the speaker. That's most likely the death of the amplifier and therefore means no, that's wrong. You have to leave out the GND connectors for the speakers.

You can't use the speakerprotectboard for switching between resistor and speaker.

Ofcourse you can! You've never worked with a relais, did you? It is, simply put, a toggle switch. You got one input pin and it switches between the two output pins (or the other way around), you use one output pin and connect it via the resistor to the amp speaker negative. The other pin goes to the speaker. You don't have to leave one connector unused.

A very good solution could be a load(zobel) over ampboardoutputs,

That would be a good solution but not be a solution to the pop noise problem. A different approach to the pop noise would be using the mute function of the 3116, pin 12 -> TPA3116 datasheet (PDF). That can be done with different approaches.

[...], but answer to original post remains no.

He didn't even ask a question in the first post, he did in the 2nd though. And the answer to that is yes, if he leaves out the GND and probably add a resistor.

Ahh so I can use this?
Is that all I need?
Will that work for tpa3116 as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170606-071444.jpg
    Screenshot_20170606-071444.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 399
#21:
Show your german enginering skills instead of joking around, show how you would accomplish with the speakerprotectionboard as linked. When only connecting the possitive ampboard outputs, probably to speakerprotectboard outputs, have fun claiming it would still work LOL

TPA3116 will work till volumelevel is raised, then internal protection will trip, when external protection shorts negative outputs to ground. You know tpa3116 or you just joking again ?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
#21:
Show your german enginering skills instead of joking around, show how you would accomplish with the speakerprotectionboard as linked. When only connecting the possitive ampboard outputs, probably to speakerprotectboard outputs, have fun claiming it would still work LOL

You really don't know how a relay or switch works? I hope it is easy enough for your netherlands engineering skills now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• prot.jpg
    prot.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 498

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Yes that is the outputside of speakerprotectionboard. Now it still doesn't work. Come on, you claim it will work, you do the work.

What work? Everything else is just connect the voltage input to the protection board. None of the amp output is ever connected to + or - of the power supply, no gnd connection, no shorting of the output, no free run of the output (except for the ms switching time of the relais). Ofcourse it works!

Relais does not connect ampboard output to speaker, it does not switch, because dc protect is triggered.
Additionally because you have to turn protection board outputside into inputside you have protectionboard electronics on speakerside, when protectionboard fails you have direct, not through switching relais, but direct connection to speaker.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Relais does not connect ampboard output to speaker, it does not switch, because dc protect is triggered.

Where do you think would the DC come from? But even if, there's just one tiny thing you'd have to do, cut pin 2 on the UPC1237.

Additionally because you have to turn protection board outputside into inputside you have protectionboard electronics on speakerside, when protectionboard fails you have direct, not through switching relais, but direct connection to speaker.

What a nonsense! Firstly, that would always be the case if any protection board fails. And secondly, if the UPC1237 fails, it's designed that it automatically drops the current for the relais which makes it disconnect the speaker, the only thing that could happen is the resistor could burn down. But then the amp is already gone, the protection board is gone too so it would not really make any difference anymore.

You guys are hilarious,
I've just brought a new tpa3116 (sure electronics amp)
Instead haha may have the same pop, looks like a better version.
Because I tried to solder onto the tiny hair line mute etc pins (which I managed to do) but I should've hot glued the wires down immediately because they twisted and ripped the copper tracings off. Bummer.. still works for now though.
But no fixing the pop via mute pin
Live and learn

gvdd and gnd are the two capacitor pins just behind signalinput socket, no need to solder to tpa pins. Sure tpa3116 power on/off pop is a meaner scarier cracking sound instead of pop, but you can connect the btl speakerprotection board without worry about burning outputparts ampboard, because output is clamped to vcc rail/protected against oscillations.

And yes (sound)quality is better.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.