iraud200 short story

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dc protection should not only be done with relays, a solid state system is possible.
The problem with class D mosfets is never the capacitance of gate but the charge expressed in nanocoulomb, and then the other features regarding the internal diode(qrr, trr) and the rds, to get 500 watts in 2, 4 or 8 ohms there are many mosfets with low Qg (low gate charge) and fast internal diodes at affordable prices and suitable for driving by irs2092, a gate buffer is obviously desirable in any case to eliminate thermal stress on 2092, I prefer to use zetex transistors, more robust and reliable compared to integrated ones.

Dc protection should not only be done with relays, a solid state system is possible.
The problem with class D mosfets is never the capacitance of gate but the charge expressed in nanocoulomb, and then the other features regarding the internal diode(qrr, trr) and the rds, to get 500 watts in 2, 4 or 8 ohms there are many mosfets with low Qg (low gate charge) and fast internal diodes at affordable prices and suitable for driving by irs2092, a gate buffer is obviously desirable in any case to eliminate thermal stress on 2092, I prefer to use zetex transistors, more robust and reliable compared to integrated ones.

See IR AN-1070 page 5

I cant see where VCC is sourced from.
There should be dropper from B- rail somewhere.

KSA340 with zener diode to -Vcc

As described by this thread ... out of the box iraud200 doesn't work

However, also as described by the thread, given the mods in the thread, it does work. No, there's no gate resistor, and that's why you have to put a heat sink on the 2092. It's about 1.5 inches tall and 3/8 inch square. If you put a gate resistor there of any significance, you'll wind up tripping the OC. The missing zobel network is a disaster, and the missing feedback delay cap rc network is also a disaster. Also, the 200k in the feedback loop invites hum, so it needs to be reduced, with corresponding alterations in other components. I also put heat sinks on the output inductors and extra main heat sink. My two boards have worked flawlessly for about one year. They still push a pair of 600 watt 2 ohm drivers around like they were toys. I'm still also a little concerned about the ability to put DC on the input and let it get straight to the 2092 .. you could potentially bus-pump one of the rails to destruction that way I think.

Thanks for posting the schematic.

Last edited:
the 4227s are required if you want to drive 2 ohms, unless you know of a transistor with similar on resistance and lower gate charge/thermal resistance. I haven't found one. There's one with smaller on resistance and higher gate charge though I believe. The 4227s kick *** .. don't take them out unless you have a replacement with similar or smaller on resistance and thermal resistance. (good luck) The 4227 has both half of the on resistance and half of the thermal resistance of other transistors I checked. That means they're ready for 4x the total power. They're just beastly.

Last edited:
This circuit with mods is the only irs2092 from the chinese I'm aware of that really performs on a 2 ohm load. There are some options from sure electronics .. however, after looking them over .. I realized that despite claims of massive power through 2 ohms, their output inductors are no larger than that of the 2 ohm iraud 200 boards .. also after doing my homework .. I discovered that those inductors are going to max out at about 1000 to 1200 watts into 2 ohms assuming you have heat sinks on them. If you don't, you should probably stick to 4 ohms. The really high power sure electronics boards (2000 or 2500 watts) can only be expected to perform as claimed through 4 ohms (and not talking about BTL here) because of that limited inductor size. That means that for 2 ohms, they're really not ready to outperform the iraud200 with mods as shown here. They'll beat the iraud200 however quite badly into 4 ohms.

Last edited:
just deal with the thermal stress by adding appropriate heat sinks, and the board will bless you by working beautifully without diving into more parts and more question marks and more complicated stuff. It may even be possible to raise the ante a little by using higher voltage stuff and output transistors that are even beefier. IRFB4127 is rated at 76 amps and 21 mohm and has only a little more gate charge. We're talking about a solid 1200 watt solution if the heat sinks can still keep the 2092 cool enough.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I do not think like you, irs2092 was born for low Qg mosfet driving, IR designs are proof of what I say, the IRFI series (4020, 4019, 4212) depending on the dual voltage are the Ideal partners of irs2092, there is also the single package version, wanting to go a little further with the power you can choose from other MOSFETs (IRFB 4615, 5615, 4620, 5620) the thermal stress on the 2092 is negligible , it is not necessary to use a heatsink on the pilot stage but the system is much more reliable, and not negligible, there is no obligation to lower the switching frequency, the dead time can be kept low and the quality of the amplifier will definitely be greater, the only design that uses 4227 (iraudamp9) is born with a buffer stage for the pilot, with the mosfets I mentioned can safely reach 500 watts (4-8 ohm)

I ran systems with IRS2092, no feedback loop delay, and smaller gate charge than 4227 without the feedback delay filter. The Iraud350 fits this description, but I don't think it has enough output dampening. It slowly became hotter and hotter ... assumably with parasite. The 350 needed the heat sink to maintain the high switching rate. The cost of the tiny heat sink is like fifty cents ... it's negligible. The feedback loop delay is in the standard designs, and affords 20khz operation. 50 khz operation is nice, but the heat sink will get you either the 50 khz or the larger gate charge ... I wouldn't ask it for both.

The iraud350 is of course bottomed at 4 ohm load.

It doesn't matter what a chip is designed for compared to the significance of what you can do with it. Put on a 50 cent heat sink, switch two $1.50 transistors to $1.65 transistors swap out the $3 inductor for a $6 inductor and your potential power output doubles. Add a little more heat sink $1.50 otherwise, Total extra cost: $5.20. The unit in fact performs ... no need to theorize and wonder what intentions may be. I've had a single channel drive so much power that it started to toast a 600 watt driver. 800-900W at least, and the board showed no sign of being overworked. I don't care what any theories are, when This thing kicks behind plain and simple, and has been doing it reliably for over a year, no signs of fatigue of any kind. You can look over spec sheets as much as you want ... I'll take my real, and well functioning 1 kw board over your theory any day.

... Now if there's a chip that can do it without a heat sink ... I'll be happy when there's a cheap board sporting it.

In case there's confusion ... this data point will help clear things up ... the heat sink on the 2092 on my 1 kw board with irfb4227 has roughly 15 to 20 times more surface area than the chip, and it's hot enough to be slightly uncomfortable to keep your finger on it ... so that's around 50C. So, around 20-25C in temperature rise ... multiply that by even 10, and you get too hot for a chip to survive. Multiply it by 15 and you get ... definitely a toasted chip. I wouldn't try this board without the heat sink.

In case there's confusion ... this data point will help clear things up ... the heat sink on the 2092 on my 1 kw board with irfb4227 has roughly 15 to 20 times more surface area than the chip, and it's hot enough to be slightly uncomfortable to keep your finger on it ... so that's around 50C. So, around 20-25C in temperature rise ... multiply that by even 10, and you get too hot for a chip to survive. Multiply it by 15 and you get ... definitely a toasted chip. I wouldn't try this board without the heat sink.

With all due respect, electronics is part of the whole of science, it is not based on randomness, empirism, or even worse than the probability that something works or not.
The irs2092 has a pilot stage that defines miserable is to give it a compliment, it was designed and built to drive lightweight mosfets Qg <60nC, all if you want an amplifier that works according to class D rents with a frequency of switching is acceptable, if we are satisfied with a malfunctioning craze with high distortion rates, huge heatsinks on components that should not be dissipated and other devils, though you are free to pinch Chinese stuff that originally does not work and modify it to make it malfunctioning, a single amplifier that works for a year does not make statistics, following that philosophy many of those modules are going to fail, so if you do not want to run the risk of losing your $ 20, change the mosfet with something more consistent with the purpose, do not challenge the fate.

Hey, ive imported a version of the Iraud200 directly from china for 10$.
No idea which version this is, but it looks alot more **** than yours.
Can you tell me anything about it?
12313ca70b.png

f401e63c1e.png

ab31b603ee.png

science?

"With all due respect, electronics is part of the whole of science, it is not based on randomness, empirism, or even worse than the probability that something works or not.
The irs2092 has a pilot stage that defines miserable is to give it a compliment, it was designed and built to drive lightweight mosfets Qg <60nC, all if you want an amplifier that works according to class D rents with a frequency of switching is acceptable, if we are satisfied with a malfunctioning craze with high distortion rates, huge heatsinks on components that should not be dissipated and other devils, though you are free to pinch Chinese stuff that originally does not work and modify it to make it malfunctioning, a single amplifier that works for a year does not make statistics, following that philosophy many of those modules are going to fail, so if you do not want to run the risk of losing your $ 20, change the mosfet with something more consistent with the purpose, do not challenge the fate."

It appears that someone misunderstands "science".

There is a stunningly long list of serendipitous discoveries that changed the world. Here is a small sample. Science and serendipity: famous accidental discoveries | New Humanist

The compton effect is an extremely noteworthy one not on the list. Compton scattering - Wikipedia

I'm actually not an EE, but an information theorist or systems theorist. My background is roughly six university degrees. Basically .... nobody can beat me regarding paradigms on how to process information. And you have provided almost no information excepting engineers intentions. Science is in fact highly empirical. Interesting you would bring up the 60nc issue though, as the 4227 is rated at 70nc typical. OMG 17% extra load for 2000% more surface area to heat sink away.

reminds me of the dam someone built high up in a canyon .. made of huge boulders of solid granite, cemented together. Well, it was too old to have been engineered by a certified engineer, so they had to blow it up ... so they took explosives up to blow up the dam, and the explosives couldn't blow it up. So they had to get a gigantic load of explosives to blow it up. After the second try, they did get it to come down .. guess it never occurred to anyone that big granite rocks are far stronger than the concrete they use today. Compression and Tension Strength of some common Materials What really happened is that every engineer worth his salt would have known that the dam was over-spec. They just didn't want to put their signature on it for various political reasons.

That heat sink has 20x more surface area than the chip. You think that chip is going to go bad for driving <30% extra load... you're up in the night. You don't need any statistics to know that the potential output of pretty much any semiconductor will go up by more than 30% with a (relatively) big heat sink on it.

While we're talking heat sinks though.
The heat sinks from a single old ant miner similar to my current setup could easily handle six of these boards. What I have put together is overkill. The iraud200 probably needs a little more heat sink to do 2 ohms than what it's born with, but don't think it requires a whole lot.

There's no reason to expect high distortion rates. And from listening, I can't detect any (other than the hum caused by the goofy 200k feedback resistor) . Reality is what it is ... not what people intend. That's why we have "discoveries".

You do have one great point to your credit though.

This board is surely not the optimal solution. It's a fixed board that didn't work. If there were a comparable option out there that didn't need any work done on it, that would be preferable. The L30D, which is comparable to amp9, and does what you are suggesting with gate drivers has .. unfortunately .. a bad reputation. Sure electronics doesn't offer a comparable board for 2 ohms. Their 2-2.5 kw board won't pass any more current than the iraud200 because it uses the same output inductor. Unfortunately, it's 3 to 6 times more money.

And BTW .. people tend to overdrive these inductors. They'll put them on boards that can pass as much current as the inductors DC rating rather than rf rating. Then, what you discover after doing your homework is that the rf rating is really just limited by heat build up. .. so heat sinking fixes that.

If you want to drive a lot of power into 2 ohms .. this is the only good DIY solution out there that exists.. that I know of. Unless you want to design and build your own board. I'll be keeping my eyes open for other solutions.

Also BTW ... that's actually 2 boards that have functioned flawlessly for a year. I'm thinking of doing 4 more, but having a hard time scratching the time together for that, which is why I need to cut out now ... tata

:)

Last edited:
That board?

That is not the iraud200, but the iraud200-s

and you didn't reveal any info. about what transistors it is sporting. However, it appears that the output inductor is the 2 ohm version. If your transistors are 4227, that would confirm.

Your board is missing the overtemp protection, and it looks like the power supply transistor was moved onto the board, so it's not on the heat sink any more. You have a slightly different circuit. I don't know exactly how it will behave. It's possible that some chinaman read my docs and built a new, corrected circuit ... I don't know. But if its driving 4227, then the 2092 should have a heat sink on it, and turning that thing on makes me nervous because it has not overtemp protection. At least the best you can do is make sure the output transistors are greased, and get a heat sink on the 2092.

I don't see any output parasite dampener, so it will be needing that, .. and I can't tell if the feedback delay is there or not. But the easy way to find out is to go back to their claims document. If they are claiming 50 khz frequency response, then they took it out. You don't want them to take it out, so you would have to identify the feedback loop and mod it as this thread shows at the beginning. If it's only claiming 20 khz response, then they left it in, and you're good.

That is not the iraud200, but the iraud200-s

and you didn't reveal any info. about what transistors it is sporting. However, it appears that the output inductor is the 2 ohm version. If your transistors are 4227, that would confirm.

Your board is missing the overtemp protection, and it looks like the power supply transistor was moved onto the board, so it's not on the heat sink any more. You have a slightly different circuit. I don't know exactly how it will behave. It's possible that some chinaman read my docs and built a new, corrected circuit ... I don't know. But if its driving 4227, then the 2092 should have a heat sink on it, and turning that thing on makes me nervous because it has not overtemp protection. At least the best you can do is make sure the output transistors are greased, and get a heat sink on the 2092.

I don't see any output parasite dampener, so it will be needing that, .. and I can't tell if the feedback delay is there or not. But the easy way to find out is to go back to their claims document. If they are claiming 50 khz frequency response, then they took it out. You don't want them to take it out, so you would have to identify the feedback loop and mod it as this thread shows at the beginning. If it's only claiming 20 khz response, then they left it in, and you're good.
Thanks for your reply, it contains the IRFB4620, even though i bought the 4227 version so I got scammed a bit. And yes it also says 50khz frequency response. Im going to rebuilt a subwoofer amplifier thats completely broken and I want to put this one in instead. So will it really matter if I fix the feedback loop for the 20khz?

The way you're talking in italy is called "supercazzola" that translated assumes the following meaning: talking about everything but actually speaking of nothing. :D

"I'm not really an EE, but an information theorist or systems theorist. My background is roughly six university degrees. Basically .... nobody can beat me about paradigms on how to process information. engineers intentions. "

If you are not an engineer, but a theorist of the information (that is to say, I do not know what it's like to say), taking for granted that your path of study keeps you away from the world of engineering, I have the information given to you but you also have to knowing how to read in the datasheet to find the right information, science is absolutely based on the evidence, for empirical, of course I would refer more to a concept of randomness, if we empirically want to assume the concept of perfectly repeatable proofs, then we talk about scientific method (Galileo Galilei taught us something) and I do not see what the example of the canyon, granite and explosive is about, what we are talking about is class D, nothing else.

I have given a parameter for the mosfets used in coupling to the irs2092, Qg (gate charge) PREFERABLY <60nC, here we are not talking about percentages, how much is the data compared to what our reference model is, in this case irfb4227, however, I invite you to open the component datasheet, go to the fourth page and look at the Typical Gate Charge vs.Gate-to-Source Voltage (n.10), the power supply voltage of the pilot is for 99% of the time 12 volts DC, at that gate voltage 4227 exhibits a gate charge close to 85 nC, not 70 nC, going to bounce off the percentage calculation (of no scientific value) you did, you need to know how to read the datasheet and not just stop at the first page of the presentation.
Assuming that my 60 nC is a parameter to NOT exceed, as in the highway (at least in italy) I can not exceed 130 km / h, in engineering there are no aesthetic parameters and practical parameters, science should be understood as a whole laws that allow us or to understand the world and its limits.

"That heat sink has 20x more surface area than the chip. You think that chip is going to go bad for driving <30% extra load ... you're up in the night. the potential output of pretty much any semiconductor will go up by more than 30% with a (relatively) big heat sink on it. "

So according to this theory if I put a sufficiently large dissipator I can dissipate 10KW with a pair of TO220, the thermal inertia parameter might be useful in the calculation and it is pretty much the limit that the CPUs have come to, which is why protections have been inserted (thermal throttling), if the heat exchange surface is very small and has a high thermal inertia (and this is the case of 2092 with smd plastic package) as big as the heatsink will fail to dispose of the temperature it accumulates in junctions.

Now let's not forget that the main parameter to evaluate the chip heating is beyond the Qg also the switching frequency, i do not know your amplifier's frequency but without any doubt if your configuration try to set it to 350Khz will be destined failing with a percentage of 100%
Otherwise, lowering it to 150-200 kHz, there are good chances to resist, let's not forget that the quality of an amplifier is subjective and what is acceptable for me may not be for you and viceversa, everyone has their own qualitative standard that if not supported by instrumental scientific evidence (hence only the ear) have no value. For me a class D with high dead time and low switching frequency sounds bad, instead for you it's great, i don't know.

"The L30D, which is comparable to the amp9, is not the optimal solution, but it is not a good solution. , and does what you are suggesting with gate drivers has .. unfortunately .. a bad reputation .. Sure electronics does not offer a comparable board for 2 ohms. Their 2-2.5 kw board will not pass any more current than iraud200 because it uses the same output inductor. Unfortunately, it's 3 to 6 times more money. "

This card is definitely not a solution at all, since it does not work, and not everyone has the ability to tweak it to make it work at least.
I have never talked about the L30D, because I have never tried it, but it seems like another Chinese solution, but between the two might be the simplest to me, maybe they will use the wrong components but the basic idea is the correct one to use a pilot buffer, they will definitely have used the 2n5401 and 2n5551 to drive the gate and it can only work badly, talk about cost, but sorry for me is stupid speech, if I have to spend my money to buy something I expect this thing to work, not to come to my house wrong.
The Sure modules work, they are perfect copies of iraudamps, so they cost 3-6 times as much but I would say that the difference is between a bad thing and a working one, so your speech does not stand, the evidence of what I say is that the Chinese themselves have changed their mosfets into new versions using the most consonants irfb4620

the defective iraud200 design is not for me to defend. Not my business. I can only stand for the corrective mods I showed. Two boards have functioned flawlessly for several years now, driving 2 ohm loads no problem ... ever. All your talk about 60nc means nothing in the face of perfectly functioning boards with irfB4227 driving 2 ohms happily.

You're pretending that your interpretations of symbols are reality. They aren't. The feedback loop was corrected to match original models, so whatever frequency those operated at, well, that's what this board is now doing. The frequency of the feedback is primarily determined by the delay cap/resistor pair in the feedback loop. Other delays in the feedback loops are relatively small. The original design was I believe rated for 20 khz. Calculations show that the output filter should still behave decently at 20 khz and 2 ohms.

If the transistor turn-on was too slow, the transistors would be overheating and it would be tripping overcurrent. At 17+ amps, the transistors wouldn't last long in resistance mode.. Problems Not happening. The mod design just works and against that, your complaints mean nothing.

But your complaints against the original board are for most people valid. Not my concern. I just wanted to make my boards work, and I did, and I didn't let spec details convince me that the chips would behave in a fashion that's intuitively doubtful. The 2092 heat sinks get quite hot, which shows you that they have no problem sinking a lot of heat in this setting. If they're sinking a lot of heat, they're cooling the chip substantially... period. Junction temperature is the most common burnout issue for semiconductors.

You don't need numbers for this. Yeah, I can run equations. I did enough math for a math degree. But one of the things I learned long time ago is that in a lot of cases, running equations isn't worth the hassle, and the results end up dubious because there is not enough detail, or there are misunderstandings. In the end, my intuition was right, and your attempts with numbers appear to have been wrong, so you decide how you want to think about that. ...

Sometimes an experiment will show you the truth way faster and more accurately than your calculator. The information game enters into all walks of life, and how you play it has a huge impact on your success. Mathematical rigor is only in demand in some cases. Having a good intuition for when math is useful and when it's not is a big deal, and proving that you know how to think like a scientist is less impressive than **** that works.

Last edited:
Are you trying to retain the 50 khz and the DC input/output? I don't trust the DC input/output idea on a class D amplifier at all because you try to hold DC, and the opposing power supply pole will overcharge. You didn't add any delay cap to bring the speed down to normal. I see you fixed the hum problem in the feedback loop .. something I hadn't gotten to because I only used this for a sub. You didn't use quite the same output filter, but yeah, there is some variability on that. And the 10 ohm gate resistors .... I was thinking of putting 1 ohm on that maybe 5, but the unit was working, and I'm busy. If you got this to work without heat sink on the 2092 that would be a plus. But IMO .. I think I'd still put a sink on it cause it's spec'd for max 60nc .. (but at what loop frequency?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.