Any Switching supplies for Class D Amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Peter Pan

See this video, it will help you understand why many people requires a regulated SMPS, while I don't like how they sound. its because of BUS BUMPING

I used the SMPS shown previously with a 300W Class-D amplifier without any issues.

As example, the PEAVY IPR1600 amplifier runs with unregulated SMPS, and that's a commercial amplifier.

One more thing, Class-D amplifier will never sound like AB Amplifier.

Hope that helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDNpEGmLKQ&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. It does seem to confirm my notion that adding extra capacitance to an SMPS might help, but I was thinking of assisting in transient response, which you'd never see on a fluke meter. I don't know how fast, for example, a SMPS would respond to a silent musical passage followed by a single loud drum hit. Also, unless I missed something, the author of the video didn't mention the value of his / her capacitors, or how they arrived at the value.

As far as class D "never" sounding like "AB", that may or may not be true. Sound is so subjective. As a guitarist for example, I'm well aware of both the real and imagined reasons why solid state will never sound like tubes. ;)

Hi Peter

You should know that these sure modules are clones of the IRAUDamp Evaluation Board designed by International rectifier. Knowing this you can download complete documentation of these boards at IR. And then you will discover that the same board can be used over a wide range of supply voltage for different output power requirements.
All you need is to swap some components as described in the documentation.
Over the years I built a variety of power amps based on these sure-modules for quite different output power.
I always bought the cheap 2x125W Version, this can be modified to 2x250W easyly.
All in all, this is a hot deal!;)

Thanks. I see there are a lot of versions of this board online, and I can see by some of the prices that indeed the PE one seems a good deal. I'm very satisfied with the speakers I've already built, which are 8 ohm, so I'll have to do some investigation to make sure the PE version is usable. One thing that seems pretty mysterious is that at least one of the reference designs I saw required no greater than +/- 40V, and in fact would protect itself from overvoltage at that point. Yet the PE version seems to require at least +/-60V. This is pretty strange really.Maybe its a misprint and +/-60V really means +/-30, for a total of 60?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.