Any Switching supplies for Class D Amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone recommend a source of switching supplies that would be adequate for powering a 100w/100w dual class D amp. Its just a general question... I don't have a specific amp in mind.

The background is, I would like to rebuild a dual 100W/100W PA amp I once made from bridged LM3886 chips. It sounded good but not surprisingly the biggest headache was building up a brute force linear supply that actually could supply 400watts of power. It worked out but it was just too damn heavy, and I'd like to re think the whole thing. Using class-D technology to increase efficiency and hopefully a switching power supply, maybe I can make something a lot lighter.

When I lift up some PA heads made by reputable companies (like Peavey) that boast 400W/channel, and yet weigh less than half of what my contraption weighed, obviously companies must be using both class D amplifiers AND switching supplies. But where can you get them?

Can anyone recommend a source of switching supplies that would be adequate for powering a 100w/100w dual class D amp. Its just a general question... I don't have a specific amp in mind.

The background is, I would like to rebuild a dual 100W/100W PA amp I once made from bridged LM3886 chips. It sounded good but not surprisingly the biggest headache was building up a brute force linear supply that actually could supply 400watts of power. It worked out but it was just too damn heavy, and I'd like to re think the whole thing. Using class-D technology to increase efficiency and hopefully a switching power supply, maybe I can make something a lot lighter.

When I lift up some PA heads made by reputable companies (like Peavey) that boast 400W/channel, and yet weigh less than half of what my contraption weighed, obviously companies must be using both class D amplifiers AND switching supplies. But where can you get them?

Hi
I believe that my SMPS perfectly fits your needs, if you are looking for an Unregulated SMPS.

Power is just 600W, Peak 900W.

Available voltages form +-40VDC up to +-90VDC, with +-15V Output. +-24VDC Output, +12VDC FAN output, and DC Error detect + Standby input.

Its yours at 65US$.

12CM x 11.2CM

Regards

Attachments

• DSC02171.jpg
    DSC02171.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC02169.jpg
    DSC02169.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 407
Hi
I believe that my SMPS perfectly fits your needs, if you are looking for an Unregulated SMPS.

Power is just 600W, Peak 900W.

Available voltages form +-40VDC up to +-90VDC, with +-15V Output. +-24VDC Output, +12VDC FAN output, and DC Error detect + Standby input.

Its yours at 65US$.

12CM x 11.2CM

Regards

Thanks! I'll definitely look into your offerings here. This is especially timely because there seem to be tons of class-D and T amplifier offerings but (as I said) few SMPS offerings to power them. Your offerings will give me a chance to consider both at once as I shop!

Hi

Regards

Just so you know, I've visited your site with both Chrome and Firefox and in both cases clicking "Products" returns me to the home page. I haven't registered yet, but I don't think thats the problem since I'm not looking to "post" anything right now. Do you have a direct link to your product offerings?

It would be difficult to match your voltage, as the SMPS is unregulated.

But around 36V, i believe something 32 ~ 35 can be easily matched. I only have to make a transformer for you if you like.

Thanks

Cool, i actually use an LLC resonant power supply made by a friend of me.

attachment.php

Configured to run at single +37-38V.

With +-65V/2A at 120kHz it has >97% efficiency. Those are 270W, 400Wpeak.

Attachments

• CIMG0515.JPG
    CIMG0515.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 302
Hi! OP here :)... I wanted to chime in about my original goal, which was to rebuild an amp I once made, this time using Class D amps and switching supplies in hopes of making a much lighter amplifier. So I did see several postings of various sources of SMPS's, and that was encouraging. But as I start to dig for details about power supply requirements of class-D amps, I'm often finding nothing about driving them with an SMPS. Then i ran acorss this nice 2x250W IRS2092 Class-D Amplifier Board, at parts express (here's the link)...

Sure Electronics AA-AB32291 2x250W IRS2092 Class-D Amplifier Board

So Parts Express is pretty reputable, and so they DO offer details. This amp is supposed to be good to 250w/channel into 8 ohms, so for me it would be a little overkill, and it also needs a pretty high voltage supply. But the critical thing I see in the specs is the power supply requirements:

Power requirement: ±60 to ±80 VDC, 8A regulated

So this begs the question... is it typical for class D amps to need regulated supplies? If so I may be out of luck, because most of the SMPS boards I've see offered here are unregulated. And I'm certainly not going to just assume it doesn't matter, because doing so usually results in burning circuits, and destroyed speakers! Has anyone successfully powered class D amps in the 100w/channel power category with unregulated supplies?

If this is a risky thing to do, maybe I'd be better off rebuilding with my existing analog amplifier circuits, and just moving to SMPS's for power. I'd still need my big heat syncs and fans, but if you look at these photos of my existing amp it is obvious that the lions share of the heavy weight is all the iron from the transformers...

uglyAmpGuts.JPG

MonAmp2_S.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi Peter

You should know that these sure modules are clones of the IRAUDamp Evaluation Board designed by International rectifier. Knowing this you can download complete documentation of these boards at IR. And then you will discover that the same board can be used over a wide range of supply voltage for different output power requirements.
All you need is to swap some components as described in the documentation.
Over the years I built a variety of power amps based on these sure-modules for quite different output power.
I always bought the cheap 2x125W Version, this can be modified to 2x250W easyly.
All in all, this is a hot deal!;)

@Peter Pan

See this video, it will help you understand why many people requires a regulated SMPS, while I don't like how they sound. its because of BUS BUMPING

I used the SMPS shown previously with a 300W Class-D amplifier without any issues.

As example, the PEAVY IPR1600 amplifier runs with unregulated SMPS, and that's a commercial amplifier.

One more thing, Class-D amplifier will never sound like AB Amplifier.

Hope that helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDNpEGmLKQ&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
"bus pumping" can be tracked out by optimizing the SMPS output filter and feedback loop together. un-regulated is simply add more brute force C as always done in audio amps past history.
sure there will be some transition frequency where it still can be observed but shouldn't be a musical event. bass is regulated and treble will be handled by good bypassing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.