Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

problem blowing up several sure electronics 4 x 100 watt boards
problem blowing up several sure electronics 4 x 100 watt boards
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2015, 09:51 PM   #1
jmmusicproduction is offline jmmusicproduction
diyAudio Member

Default problem blowing up several sure electronics 4 x 100 watt boards

Hi folks, just wondering if somebody can help me with this problem. I dont think i have done anything i shouldn't of, no mods or anything. Just got no.1 out of box, wired up correct polarity 24v dc (from 2x golf buggy batteries), connected to 2 x 200w 8 ohm pa speakers. worked fine, never pushed into clipping, after about 8 hrs use, 1 day i turned it on, and it kept popping and smoking and blowing my inline fuse (sounded like it as coming from the caps) green light comes on with fan but no sound, keeps popping and smoking.
Spoke to parts express (ebay) about this and they promptly issued me a new one.
Plugged that in, all wired correctly, after about 3 hrs use, turned it on another day and no sound on any channel, no pops/smokes or any sign of damage, just no sound!
Only 2 things i did that i could think may have upset them was
1:
run 12v from 1 of my 12v bats (2x 12v in series 24v supply) to power my effects pedal at the same time (would this be likely to cause such a fatality?)
2: Didnt have a switch on the supply cable so sometimes when connecting to the batteries it would take me a few quick on/offs in succesion until i had clamped the cable to the batteries terminals (could this kill it?)

Otherwise i am thinking that there is a dodgy batch being supplied by partsexpress.com, anyone elese bought from them?

Thanks in advance, jimi
Old 24th January 2015, 02:10 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

What is the chip in the amps?

Were the batteries under charge when connected to the amps?
Old 24th January 2015, 02:16 AM   #3
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

One thought... 12v batteries are actually 14.4 volts. If the amps are rated for 24v, they may not tolerate 28.8 volts.
Old 24th January 2015, 02:17 AM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmusicproduction View Post
Didnt have a switch on the supply cable so sometimes when connecting to the batteries it would take me a few quick
on/offs in succesion until i had clamped the cable to the batteries terminals (could this kill it?)
We used to do ruggedness testing on battery powered devices by doing just that, erratic power supply connections
to large batteries by scraping the contacts repeatedly. It was a very demanding test, and would often cause the devices to fail.
I wouldn't recommend doing this.
Old 24th January 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks to you all for speedy replies. @DUG the chips are TC2000 TP2050 (TK2050) batteries were not under charge but were passing out 12v to other devices at the same time (now using seperate 12v source incase) @Jplesset, thanks but amps are rated to 30v. @rayma, thanks, I hope this is the reason, dont want to kill another. I am going to take failed amps to an electrician to do an autopsy, will post results here soon.
Old 25th January 2015, 01:11 AM   #6
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

You want to put a TVS diode at the input (VCC to GND) to prevent this in a car setup, like the SAC26:

SAC26 - SAC Series - Leaded from TVS Diodes - Littelfuse

It provides crowbar like functionality/protection against surge failures.
Old 25th January 2015, 02:39 AM   #7
counter culture is offline counter culture  United States
diyAudio Member

4 x 100 watts, 2 x 8 ohm speakers.

Connected exactly how?
Old 27th January 2015, 10:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks doctor more, will look into that. This is not in a car though,it is in a bike trailer.

@counterculture
I have 4 x 8 ohm speakers but was only driving 2 when it blew.Each channel can take 4 ohms so connecting 2 speakers in parallel to 2 of the 4 channels. When it blew I had 1 speaker to 1 channel and another speaker to next channel putting up 8 ohms resistance. Amp info says it's fine to leave unused channels...
Old 27th January 2015, 10:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

@doctor mode. do you think I should get this instead as the amp is designed to run most efficiently at 30v so will be giving it this much juice?

SAC30 Littelfuse | Mouser

Only problem is 400w into 30v is 16amps. Looks like this fuse can only take 10 amps, is that correct?
Old 27th January 2015, 12:24 PM   #10
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dude, these are suppressor-diodes not fuses (Littlefuse is the name of the company).

As you use 2 SLA batteries, your max VCC will be like 29.4V when "overcharged", the SAC26 will clamp this down to 28.90V(min).

Normally you'll have like 22-27V from the two batteries. The TVS is meant to be mounted in parallel to your board inputs.

Transient-voltage-suppression diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Their're to be used as an overvoltage protection here to not frying your boards by transients.

problem blowing up several sure electronics 4 x 100 watt boardsHide this!Advertise here!