Blew my setup yesterday ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
I have a 5ch UCD400 power amp with 2 Coldamp SPS80 supplies.
Or rather, had ...

Because yesterday on a walk down memory lane, I played Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'War' loud.
- Until my old AE107 went dead silent. ( these are 6-8 ohm speakers)

One SPS80 drives the UCD drives the 2 front channels.

All I hear now is a tick-tock and silence for a few seconds , and then tick-tock again, in both speakers.

It sounds like something turns on and some automatic circuit shuts it down again.

As I hear the tick-tock in both speakers I'm guessing that the SPS80 is turning on and off.

But I find it hard to believe that I blew the UCD on 6 ohm speakers.
( Parts of me is hope the speakers are gone, even it is the most costly option...)

Any ideas where to start looking for faults?

/eleson

Don't you have any other amp to try out with the speakers to see if they are working ? Even a battery can show if the speakers are dead . Since you say tick/tock sounds I guess they are working.

Disconnect the UCD's from the supply and see if the supplies have a dc voltage across the output of the smps. If they do then connect the UD400's one by one and see if they all work individually. Since all UCD's are silent ( 5 channels ..) it 'looks' like it could be a supply problem.

I'm sleepy.Have to turn in tonight. Too many late nights !
Cheers.

Please have a look at the red led at the SPS80 control board. If it is lit continuously (with some re-trigger every 2 seconds or so), the overcurrent protection is triggering, probably due to a short-circuited amplifier.
If so, please disconnect the amplifiers from the PSU and check that it does the same. If not, re-connect the amplifiers one-by-one and check which one is producing the problem, and substitute it.
Anyway, you can contact our technical support (or hypex's, I am sure) for more help.

ssanmor said:
Please have a look at the red led at the SPS80 control board. If it is lit continuously (with some re-trigger every 2 seconds or so), the overcurrent protection is triggering, probably due to a short-circuited amplifier.
If so, please disconnect the amplifiers from the PSU and check that it does the same. If not, re-connect the amplifiers one-by-one and check which one is producing the problem, and substitute it.
Anyway, you can contact our technical support (or hypex's, I am sure) for more help.

Thanks ssanmor for replying, I'll check. Speakers are fine btw.
I've only lost the front channels. Center surround is driven by another SPS80 and is still OK.
So I can listen to music again.

/eleson

PS , I'd be great if the Coldamp site had pdf's available for all revisions of the different products.
DS

Ok, please comment on the results of your tests so we can help you further or at least know what happened.

Regarding the documentation, we usually put in the web the latest version of the documentation, only, but anyway if you have an older product and want to know something you can ask us of course, we'll always be glad to help you.

I'm currently testing, and Somethings have changed after they cold down.

I'm currently test with both amps connected to the PSU, and both behave the same way.

On the PSU units both green LED's light up, but the red one doesn't.

Testing one speaker , first as left, then as right, works fine.

Testing the other one gives sound for 2-3 seconds and silence for half a sec, and then music for 2-3 seconds again, and the cycle repeats.

So, one speaker is on my short list right now.
(and they are AE109's, nothing else)

When I run both front channels at the same time, the channel with the erratic speaker continues with the on/off cycle, so the cycle must come from the UCD.

But when I connect the 'faulty' speaker to the other SPS80/Ucd400 set it works fine.
So something is different in the front channel half of the amp.

I will continue the search.

/eleson

Have you measured the output of the SPS80? Perhaps you have adjusted it to a voltage that is at the edge of the overvoltage protection of the UCD400. It should be set at around +/-59V, for example.
Measure the voltage at the output when the sound is muted to see for variations, but if the red led is off and the green on is on, it seems that the PSUs are ok.

Count on me for any further help.

Hi, I just did. ;)

The center/surround SPS80 ( where the front speaker work) gives
-56.2 and +59.8 measured with a multimeter.

The front ch SPS80 (where the front speaker doesn't work) gives
-55.9 and +60.6.

AC measurements shows virtuallty the same ripple from both SPS units.

All measurements done with one UCD connected,
one speaker connected and inputs disconnected.

Edit:
One of the front-ch UCD's does not light up the blue LED. But it still plays, I'll investigate further.

A bit out of topic, but how do I measure the speakers?

/eleson

Ok, that voltages seem well within the UcD400 range. Although they seem a bit unbalanced, that's absolutely no problem with this kind of amplifiers neither with ours, and is produced by the different current consumption between positive and negative rail in almost all Class-D designs. Latest versions of SPS80 have virtually no voltage unbalance even with very strong load differences between + and - rails.

Perhaps not my business, but don't UcD modules have a pin that must be grounded for operation? Perhaps yours have it disconnected?

In order to basically test that your speaker is ok, just disconnect them from your amplifier and measure resistance with a multimeter and see if it measures the specified impedance (4-8 ohms).

IMHO this is not a speaker problem, and the SPS80's seem correct so far.

F Y I
I've just measured the DC output on all 5 amps.

The 2 front-channel amps have 35.4 and 34.2
The other channels have 18.1, 17.7 and 18.9.

So there is a difference,
I'll let hypex tell me if it is a problem or if it is related to the difference in supply voltages, or something else.
/eleson

Up and running again

Hi,
I'd just like to close this matter.

Everything is now up and running again.

The Coldamp PSU's have been adjusted ( I haven't measured them) and the speakers have been in for service.

I had a fault in the filter in one of the speakers,
a cold soldering that probably became disconnected during high volume play and lots of vibrations.

So, two things fixed, hopefully this is now behind me.
/E

coldamp supply repaired for you good. big volt rail off balance like sold to you not matter maybe for class d amp, but not all amp selling supply to can be class d. Still class d in clipping like any amp for can show supply unbalance to speaker direct because from no more control at clip. This can to giving speaker big slam with agrevate pump action for d amp for increasing offset until supply trip shutdown if having so. Maybe that ugly action what hurt filter speaking. Is coldamp to doing recall on bad supply or first having break more filter? Unbalance also hurt equilib thermals of amp and aging half side more for other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.