BPA300 mono block finished and measured

saabracer23 said:
I am very interested in this too. I have been looking for an amp to build. If someone knows how to get some of those cases into the US along with the boards (hopefully someone has made some) let us know. Those are exactly what I want.

Dan

Those cases are beautiful. Does any one know how much it would cost to get a few to the states?

some of your choices

alex, in your schematic you choose the 200 ohm resistor in the ouput feedback to + and - in. how did you come about this value. all of the national semi applications use a 20k approximate value for this purpose. learning here!!!! it seems by looking at your results that the overall result is quite impressive.

question concerning jrdg jensen trans

if you choose to install an input line transformer to balance the input for bridged configuration does that mean no input cap is needed. the transformer should not have any stray dc component so no input cap right?????? what about the amp gain with the trans. drv 134 adds gain to the circuit. will an input buffer be needed to boost gain. thanks

In that case I won't use the input cap.

If you use a passive pre amp (i.e. volume pot), the pot should be at 10k max. because the transformer want low source impedance.

If you concern about Amp gain, the simplest way is to change the gain setting resistors on the PA150. Default value is 10k/200k, you could change it to 10k/400k then you will double the gain.

Of course, adding a buffer before the transformer is also a good idea because transformer like low source impedance.

I may try the LL1545A later.

alex. in your amp project with 6- lm3886 chips you are using the drv 134 on input. what impedance is the drv putting out. does it provide gain to the overall circuit. and if you added the transformer would you still need a buffer or way to add gain. p.s. if anyone did not buy alex boards they really missed out. the 8 boards i bought are very well made. thanks:smash:

The DRV134 has a gain of 2 (6db).

From the data sheet : "Characterized by low differential-mode output
impedance (50 ohm) and high common-mode output impedance
(1.6k ohm), the DRV134 is ideal for audio applications."

If I use the transformer, I would first try without buffer. The gain of the BPA300 is high enough already, each PA150 has a gain of 20, total gain is 40.

BTW, my plan is to make a all balanced system. From my SA11 SACD player to a balanced passive preamp, to BPA300 with LL1545A at the input. The LL1545A will setup as 2:1 turn ratio to increase the input impedance of the BPA300 from 6.6k to about 26k.

my computer sound card has balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs, it would seem that if i reworked the tuner and cd player to have balanced outputs then that would be the proper method. then you do not need transformer or drv. maybe a small buffer at the passive preamp. is that not the best solution having a total balance system.?????? and thanks again

tryonziess said:
my computer sound card has balanced and unbalanced inputs/outputs, it would seem that if i reworked the tuner and cd player to have balanced outputs then that would be the proper method. then you do not need transformer or drv. maybe a small buffer at the passive preamp. is that not the best solution having a total balance system.?????? and thanks again

But then you have to modify every source you intend to use with your amp. some of them may be difficult to modify. Make a preamp/poweramp combo that is compatible with balanced and unbalanced source is a better choice.

How about this setup? At the preamp you have both RCA and Balanced input.
Between preamp and power amp, you only have balanced connection.

balanced_pre.gif