Choosing an heatsink for my first amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After some calculations, and reducing Tamb to 25 ºC, I still have Tsink_max = 70 ºC.....................
That set of targets is much more likely to give you a workable solution.
You have changed deltaT s-a from 10Cdegrees to 45Cdegrees.

BUT,
you must think carefully. Is your new Ta a realistic worst case ambient temperature?
Would the amplifier protect itself if Ta went higher?
or
Would the amplifier carry on working at a high Ta, with a "warning signal" to forewarn of "near overheating"?
Is it just you and a few friends listening, or a group of paying customers.

Another way to go about this is to Google for:

circuits NE5532

Of course replacing NE5532 with whatever component you're using.

Switch to Google's images page, and usually there will be several jillion images of circuits. Scroll through and see what heat sinks people have used before.

Admittedly this could be called a wee bit shadetree.

Hi everyone and thank you all for the great help,

To Andrew T:
I appreciate your concern, this design is supposed to be used at home, and I don't have any intention of selling it or using it as sound reinforcement for some event.
In my current plans I'm using one ABL Components 193AB2500B for both channels (14 devices), I'm also using a thermal protection network that colapses the vbe multiplier voltage if the temperature of the heatsink (sensed by an NTC thermistor) reaches 70 °C, the circuit is reactivated if Tsink < 50 °C). I'm also using 4 AC fans generating a airflow with v = 2.6 m/s, that are activated if Ts > 50 °C, and deactivated if the temperature lowers to Ts < 32 °C.

Best regards,
Daniel Almeida

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.