Modulus-86 build thread

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I got to the point where I concluded that the Micro Audio SMPS has higher switching noise than I'd like. Sami suggested that I try filtering, which I will.

The Connex SMPS300 uses an additional LC filter on the output. The Micro Audio doesn't have that ... yet.

What has also happened is that Mean Well released the LOP-600 series, which looks incredibly promising. If it works well, Micro Audio will be a tough sell. It is vastly more convenient to have a single supply rather than having to mess with two supplies in series, but would that be worth the 20-25% added cost compared to the LOP-600. Then again, the Mean Well RPS-400 and LOP-600 share the same underlying topology, and about 50% of builders had issues with the RPS-400-36, so maybe the LOP-600 isn't so hot after all.

Decisions, decisions.

As noted elsewhere, I have my hands full at the moment. I remain committed to finding a quality alternative to the Connex SMPS300, even though it'll be at a significantly higher price.

Tom

Another pair of Modulus-86s are alive! No pictures yet as it is just roughed in my old F5 case for testing.
My initial assessment is that I can finally understand why so many builds here involve expensive cases and speaker protection circuits. This is a quality amp.
I had been a bit worried about the output power, because one of my other amps (60W) sounds strained and loses a lot of clarity when I turn the music up. This one does not and I'm currently only running it on 24V rails.

When we recover financially from recent vet bills a Dissipante 2U 300 seems like it would look really slick.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is their temporary home. The transformer is too close, even with it being a shielded one. But I don't hear any hum from it. I know the boards shouldn't be hanging by the chip either :)
temp.jpg

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not a bad temporary home. Even though it's only temporary I would still do something to brace at least the front edge of the board. I often use some long standoffs, screws, or threaded rod for this. Just 'tune' it to the right length. All you need is something to fight gravity so the chip doesn't do all the work. Of course, once yo find a permanent home you'll secure the boards by all corners.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users