Modulus-86 build thread

The speaker line fuse has to be big enough to survive the transients.
That substantially increases the time required to blow the fuse when an incident occurs.

Part of the problem with fuses is the difference between "guaranteed not to blow" current rating and the "guaranteed to blow" current rating. This difference ratio can exceed ten times in some circumstances.

Then listeners have to ignore the added distortion of the variable resistor outside the NFB loop.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi billshurv,

I remember i had to experiment a such event with a tweaked Behringer DCX2496 which freezed and sent a DC to my amplifier. So my two Altec 515-8G were immediately toasted.

If I used a behringer then I would know to AC couple its outputs. Not a fault mechanism I would leave to the power amp to deal with. FWIW you can ac couple the THAT1200 if you want. Maybe the guy who advocates line transformers for the DCX was onto something! I would also note that the LM3886 is likely to survive such an event.

Good job Dominique, i like those wee alloy enclosures, i built My-Ref FE mono blocks using them.

I was thinking about using two of them when i can finally afford to build the Modulus 86, one for the PSU and the other for the amp boards. However if i do that, i might as well buy another power supply board and build mono blocks again.

If i can find a suitable larger enclosure at a reasonable price, that will probably decide it for me.

Here are pictures of my build. Haven't listened yet...

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg