Logitech Z-680

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, I tore one of the z-560 subs apart this summer after a friend of mine had to return his system (logitech just makes you cut off the control box and send that to them). This one had 6 TDA7293 chips in it, I'm assuming from the one of the previous posts that 2 are bridged for the sub again. Oh, all the electrolytic caps on the board are "chang" brand, anyone know if these are any good?

Actually, my system is defective, and has to be sent back to them. The problem is that when the left heatsink (i assume the sub amp, since it gets hotter than the other heatsink) gets warm, it starts rattling loudly. The rattle is very annoying. Plus, it only takes about 15 minutes at less than half volume on the speakers and half volume on the pc to start rattling.

By "Cut off the control box and send it to them", does that mean I am going to have to just remove the amp and send it to them, meaning I save on shipping costs and get to keep a nice sub speaker/box? Or are you talking about something different?

Thanks, Mike

for my friend, "cut off the control box and send it to them" meant cutting the cord coming out of the back of the volume/bass/treble/m3d control unit and sending that unit to them. I think the philosophy behind that is so you can't actually use the system any more...you're just left with all the satelites and the sub to gather dust...

toque_101 said:
for my friend, "cut off the control box and send it to them" meant cutting the cord coming out of the back of the volume/bass/treble/m3d control unit and sending that unit to them. I think the philosophy behind that is so you can't actually use the system any more...you're just left with all the satelites and the sub to gather dust...

haha - not a problem for us! we could just rewire the amps inputs.

I wonder if they will only make us send them the control unit? It is removable since it connects with a monitor cable.

You know, for 400$ you can build pretty good DIY speakers and use your lm3386 projects instead of buying "computer" speakers. Or buy reference grade headphones and save the other stuff for the HT setup.

Well, too late now. I would have just brought it back to best buy, got my money back and bought it again. Buy Best buy already discontinued this item!!

I hate Best buy now; they do this all the time with new stuff, especially if its too high end for them (basically anything), they decide not to carry it.

Anyway, I think these were $200, plus a $50 free gift card by mail and however many reward zone points you get, so they were a good deal.

One more thing I was wondering, are the TDA chips used high end ones? I would think so, but when the manual hinted that they have no SC protection, by saying that shorted speaker wires may damage the unit, I wondered if they really are that good of a chip.

Thanks, Mike
Thanks guys!!

OK, I called Logitech and ordered my new set.

I'm going to mail the control box tomarrow (friday)

Since I have some good speakers sitting around, so I took the center and rear speakers and used them for my surround system (before, i only had B&W fronts and a infinity sub). Now, I have a full surround sound system.

Now, with the subwoofer, I would like to figure out how to open it. I removed the screws, and there were a bunch of wires glued to the wood case. Which ones should I carefully pull off of the wood, and which 2 are for the sub.

What I want to do by that is hopefully find what rattles. Once I find that, I would like to be able to use the sub and the 2 remaining speakers for my laptop in my room (a 2.1 setup). How should I rig the amps to allow a standard Left/Right signal to be inputted (or, what pins are the audio input on the control unit? Then, I could connect my PC output to a pot for volume control and to the correct pins on the back of it to allow it to work again.

How should I go about it, and is this even possible?

If I can't get rid of the rattle, I'll just build a new amp for it.

Thanks everybody!

-Mike

These logitech speakers are nice.. i have a pair of tb's im going to be using for this exact project and a subwoofer Donated from Planet10 in-trade of a pair of horn's im going to build a 4 channel amplifier using the lm chips 2 chips per speaker one for tweeter and one for driver.. and a active xover and a separate amplifier. right now im using the tb's in Juice cans and well moving around the room in certain spots proves these little tb's can produce allot and crisp and clean bass.. although i like a little more just for the extra punch. so soon ill be playing with fiberglass and new enclosures

J

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
soundNERD said:
I just got the best computer speaker system ever designed, the Logitech Z-680.

Monsoon would be giving these a decided run for best ever. The computer store i work (part-time) at recently got a good portion of the last units available and at $50 CAD/pr the MH502s have got to be the best bargin ever for computer speakers (actually they are MH-350s -- 502s with cloth grills)

AndersZ said:
You know, for 400$ you can build pretty good DIY speakers and use your lm3386 projects instead of buying "computer" speakers.

The LogiTechd use a Tangband 3" -- 5 of those would run you $50.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.