Logitech Z-680

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Changing power supply to take 230V?

Help! I've got the Z680s, had'em for a while and love them. BUT, I've just relocated to Switzerland. I tried plugging them into a step-down transformer rated at 500W continuous, but there's a nasty hum coming from the sub... sounds like it might be from the sub's transformer, rather than from the sub-speaker (and there's nothign coming from any of the satellites).

Is there a way to replace the sub's transformer so that it can take 230V instead of 110V? Has anyone seen the transformer, or got a Z680 open and can take pics?

All help much appreciated! My next move is to buy a bigger toroidal step-down transformer rated at 1500W and see if that helps. Not sure though... it might be the mains being at 50hz instead of 60hz that's creating the hum?

All help much appreciated. Am losing lots of sleep over this.

p.s. sorry for rezzing old thread.

Re: Re: Logitech Z-680

AndersZ said:
You know, for 400$ you can build pretty good DIY speakers and use your lm3386 projects instead of buying "computer" speakers. Or buy reference grade headphones and save the other stuff for the HT setup.

Just my point of view though...

Anders

planet10 said:

Monsoon would be giving these a decided run for best ever. The computer store i work (part-time) at recently got a good portion of the last units available and at $50 CAD/pr the MH502s have got to be the best bargin ever for computer speakers (actually they are MH-350s -- 502s with cloth grills)

The LogiTechd use a Tangband 3" -- 5 of those would run you $50.

dave

hi guys i m planning to build a 7.1 speaker system which can compete creative's s750 in terms of sound quality only. my budget is 300$. is it possible? can u guys help me with a design or link? i hav been looking all around the web. i couldn't find a project in my budget. please help me. TIA

Hi... Going Back to post 21,
If any people are (like I was) looking for a way to use the amplifier with out the control pod heres my little guide..

1. Take the amplifer off the subwoofer. (I needed to cut some wires here to get it off enough)

2. Take off the back plate (lots of screws to undo here including some with bolts on the other side)

3. Take off the panel on the rear side which has the plug to the control panel. (once you've removed the bolts it just pulls off)

4. Now using the pin labels that you will find on the panel that you pulled off identify the VREGDD, MUTE AMP and STANDBY AMP pins (they are all in a line), use some single core wire to connect mute and standby to the vregdd (or put switches on) This will allow the amp to be turned on with out the control pod being attached.

5. connect the inputs (eg RF AMP etc) to some sort of connectors ie 3mm or coax connections.

And Thats it, make sure if you cut any wires to ease the amp off you fix them back up and cover with electrical tape

Now the amp can be turned on/off by the switch on the back or if you put switches on the STANDBY AMP Wire. One thing to note though is that the Amp now has no Pre-Amp which means no onbard volume control or crossovers so make sure you turn the volume right down on the source before you plug it in!!

I did this the other day to my Z-680's since I just want to use the sub for the time being since I have a new receiver and no sub..

Anyways for the switch I have the mute, standby & vresdd going to the switch... one thing I noticed yesterday was when I would turn it on the sub would jump pretty hard.. Not sure if that was normal..

However I blew one of the TDA7293 chips and I think it was caused by me when I added a RCA jack the pin and the shield were touching and when I made the connection it blew the amp chip right open..

btw I ended up making the connection to the sub amp.. I wonder if it will work the next time I try it after I cleaned up the connections?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.