Amp and parasitic draw

Hi
It wasn't easy but I traced my parasitic draw to 1 of my 2 aftermarket amps. The culprit is showing.. .075 A to.. .098 A draw at the battery after the vehicle pcm/ecu goes to sleep.

If I remove the remote wire from the culprit amp, the draw remains. If I remove the 4awg power wire from the culprit amp, the drain drops to,. 016.

My dist block takes the 4 awg wire from battery and outputs one 4awg and one 8 awg. I don't have a drain with the 8 awg amp and dist block..until I connect the 4awg amp.

Could I please get advice how to proceed? I have no noticeable issues, works great and fuses are fine, and a brand new batt.

thank you for the reply, i took a few pics of it

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
This isn't like the MTX amps I referred to.

That brown fixative that's at the base of some of the filter capacitors may be the type that becomes both corrosive and conductive. If it's conductive, it can cause various problems.

If the DC voltage between the gate (first) leg of the FETs and ground is 0v, I don't think there's a problem that needs to be repaired.

Are you referring to the brownish discoloration at the bottom of these 3 fuses in the pic?

and

"If the DC voltage between the gate (first) leg of the FETs and ground is 0v I don't think there's a problem that needs to be repaired."

Would you mind circling it in one of the pics please? I'm not familiar.

Attachments

• brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 57
Hi, I have some news after double checking my wiring.

Power wire, Ground wire, Remote wire.... all fine, no battery draw
Positive RCA jack on amp = PARASITIC DRAW

When i disconnect the positive RCA cable on the amp, the draw is gone.
The RCA jack looks a bit beat up and a possible scorch mark in the pic.
I recall, the red circular rubber piece was loose inside, so i cut it and removed it.
When I did that, the outer rca 'shield' on the jack itself, came off but i was able to line it up and re-insert it....

Attachments

• rca.jpg
    rca.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
with the multimeter + probe on the + of the amp, im using the - probe to touch the rca jack.
2.591 outer
2.580 inner

in addition to this amp that we're troubleshooting, i have a 4 channel amp and distribution block.
the drain is still present when removing the 4channel amp from the dist block

Sorry for that, i still had it on DC on the multi. When switching it to ohms it displays 0. I put the + from the multi, on the - frpm the Amp, then used the - from the multi and put it on the outer shield of all 4 rcas.
Hope thats correct

The drain is isolated to those RCAs on the monoblock amp, you are correct.
I'll have to dig up the keys for the deck to check there.

Last edited: