Rockford Fosgate T600-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got this amp for repair. The amp works, but has squeezing and hissing output noise. It looks, that somebody had repair it befor allready, because the bias pots are not properly in.
Where i can go to check?? I never had such an amp for repair.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_170238.jpg
    IMG_20200401_170238.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20200401_170242.jpg
    IMG_20200401_170242.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 128
Hello Perry, i tested with my smartphone.
I dont have the same noise as the owner. Only on the left channel i have a little crackling or crispy noise.

The owner send me an audiofile, with high pitch noise on both channels. He installed another amp, the problems are gone.

The amp was connected thru a helix dsp, and worked on the lows and midrange.

Amplifiers expect to have a grounded shield. Cell phones don't have a grounded shield and can and have caused problems that didn't really exist.

I would suggest that you check to see if using a shielded ground gave you the same problem as the owner had.

I've had rockford amps like this that would do very strange things (even blow the outputs) if you touched the shields with no RCAs plugged in. I generally connected a 1000pf cap from the shield to the center conductor for each channel and a 27k resistor from each shield to a primary ground. The 27k was used because I had some on the bench that were surplus and used mainly for their leads in various repairs. I don't think the value is critical.

Hello Perry,

i tried with a headunit,same powersupply.. Same problem, only crackling on the left channel. Anyway, there is something wrong with that amp.
I know, that helix has a switch, to isolate, or ground or soft ground(200Ohm) the shield to eliminate noise . But he told me, that the amp was working like this about a year. After last switch on, he had a bump in the speakers and then the high pitch noise.. I expect, that the speakerwires are somewhere broken and had connection to car ground..

So where in the amp should i look, to find the crackling noise. I expect, that it come from the preamp, because output stage looks fine.

Push/move everything you can to see if it makes a difference.

Operate all pots and switches to see if that makes a difference.

It's hard to follow the signal without the diagram due to the vertical boards. You can check with Rockford but I don't think they released this diagram yet.

The double-row header are hard to remove without damage to the main board unless you use chipquik.

If i touch the 0,1Ohm resistors, the crackling changed. I removed the board, and found a bad repair. Also it seems, that the board was wet before.. Some green spots on the vias and solder joints.

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_140152.jpg
    IMG_20200403_140152.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200403_140157.jpg
    IMG_20200403_140157.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200403_140202.jpg
    IMG_20200403_140202.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 80
I do not. I haven't seen colder solder issues in any Rockford amp, as far as I can remember. The exception is for components that have overheated due to other problems (snubber resistors and such). It's actually almost unheard of in any amp except some that are single-sided (generally where the through-holes are too large).

The only types of boards that I've seen with solder issues were the double-sided CEM boards without feed-throughs that have solder connections on both sides of the board for a single component terminal. For those, you can expect problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.