Punch 250M vs Punch 500M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

I have both amps side by side and own several of each. I have repaired both and used both.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? The boards look identical.

The schematic is identical, is there a difference in rail voltage, cause I dont see really any differences in the board.

These amp were neither . or a series. They were both produced in the same era and heat sink design, the BBQ style. One had a black heat sink and one had a metallic grey heat sink. They both have the same power rating at 2 ohms and 4 ohms. I guess I could pull 1 of each off of the shelf and see if the 500M has more rail voltage than the 250M but as far as the board goes they are identical other than the board number.

Just wondering how Rockford differentiated the 2 as the 500M was higher priced, maybe more rail voltage to drive same rated load to higher power without clipping?

The 250M you helped me with awhile back is running great, I guess I could swap it out with a 500M to see if I hear an audible difference but likely I wont hear any difference.

You could bridge two of them together into a common load by using the bridge switch on one of the amp to put it out of phase with the other. Total power at 4 ohms mono was 1000 watts, same as the 2 ohm rating in stereo. I never heard of any one ohm rating on any of this series of black and grind amp... Oh and I happen to own two of these with a mating spacer module and end caps with a voltmeter in the middle spacer, all set up for a bridged setup. I managed to loose one of my bottom plates while they were being custom painted, anyone got one let me know. I never got to install these so they are still new inside....So many amps, so little time...lol...;)

Sounds like your talking about the 250.1 and 250.2 the next series. The ones I was discussing were the DSM BBQ style amp. I have brand new bottom covers like around several hundred for various Rockford amps that were purchased directly from Rockford all new in wrappers.

Give me the exact model you need.

The 500M and 250M could also be strapped together as prime mova had mentioned but they did not have a bridge switch they has a phase switch though. You ran the positves from each amp to the sube and the negatives were hooked together and they phase switch set accordingly to whatever amp went to positive and negative on the sub.

The 250X2 and the 50X2 had an easy bridge switch as well as the 250M2 as well as the later series 250.2, and 50.2.

Rockford Fosgate's figures from there 1995 & 1996 RTTI Manual ---

tanydetu.jpg
yju2a3ub.jpg
bezy4yra.jpg
a2umu6e8.jpg
ura5ameq.jpg

Sounds like your talking about the 250.1 and 250.2 the next series. The ones I was discussing were the DSM BBQ style amp. I have brand new bottom covers like around several hundred for various Rockford amps that were purchased directly from Rockford all new in wrappers.

Give me the exact model you need.

The 500M and 250M could also be strapped together as prime mova had mentioned but they did not have a bridge switch they has a phase switch though. You ran the positves from each amp to the sube and the negatives were hooked together and they phase switch set accordingly to whatever amp went to positive and negative on the sub.

The 250X2 and the 50X2 had an easy bridge switch as well as the 250M2 as well as the later series 250.2, and 50.2.

Yeah I am talking about the BBQ style, and they do have phase switches on both of them. I will try to dig up a pic or two of them, And oh yes I am interested in a bottom cover for one of them. I misplaced it and have been kicking myself ever since. After the holiday I will dig up the pics and I will contact you about the cover. And thanks much ! Happy Thanksgiving all!!!!:)

The 500m & 250m are essentially the same amps! Simply different model #s for different production years. There is one small difference (at least there should be) between the two: The 500m needed a special proprietary external adapter if you wanted to hook up a PSD module to the amp. IIRC, the 250m does NOT need this adapter. If you compare the board between these two amps, you should see some extra smd resistors on the 250m on/around the input traces for the PSD port, and the 500m will be missing or at least have different value resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.