Dual 504 put to use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Kay Pirinha for pointing out the ground shorting link shown in the left hand diagram of Figure 1.

I would favour removing that link completely and replacing the DIN lead with an RCA lead and ground wire as shown in the right hand diagram of Figure 1.

However, if the DIN cable is a twin coaxial lead as you say, then by far the easier option would be to cut the existing DIN plug off the lead and replace it with two RCA plugs. (There would be no need for a separate ground wire in that case, as the ground shorting link you mention would remain in place.)

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Hello everyone, and thank you for valuable input.

I hope Galu is right and uncle will be happy, his hearing ain't what it used to be but I want the system to sound good.

I will go visit him on Saturday with preamp and speakers, soldering iron, RCA cable and pair of connectors.

I will decide on site what to do with cable, I want good electrical but also mechanically sound connection.

Expect update with pictures.

Kind regards

Marko

Looking forward to your update!

Unfortunately bad news, platter was spinning super slow and then came to a halt, new belt is in order I suppose.

Good news is that the system is completely Hum-free Bogart with new RCA connectors on old DIN5 cable, but only with separate ground wire connected to preamp chassis.

Pictures of accessories he got with the turntable, really nice package, cleaning kit, extra stylus...

I would appreciate a link for new belt replacement, Thakker any good?

Dual 504 Original Thakker belt

Kind regards

Marko

Attachments

• 504.jpg
    504.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 123
  • rca.jpg
    rca.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 52
  • soldering.jpg
    soldering.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 56
  • viber image.jpg
    viber image.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 99
  • nan.jpg
    nan.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 98
  • equipment.jpg
    equipment.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 96
  • cleaning kit.jpg
    cleaning kit.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 106
William Thakker always is a good recommendation for TT spare parts! I've yet bought several belts and other thingies from him, always to my very pleasure!

And congrats for this nearly pristine Dual 504! I think it has deserved RCA plugs of somewhat better quality, though :rolleyes:.

Best regards!

Another job well done! And don't worry about the quality of those RCA plugs, they will conduct the electrical signal perfectly well! ;)

The Thacker replacement looks good. Remember to clean the surfaces which come in contact with the belt before fitting the new one. We wouldn't want Nana Mouskouri's voice to waver!

William Thakker always is a good recommendation for TT spare parts! I've yet bought several belts and other thingies from him, always to my very pleasure!

And congrats for this nearly pristine Dual 504! I think it has deserved RCA plugs of somewhat better quality, though :rolleyes:.

Best regards!

Thank you Kay and Galu,

Initial plan was to solder new RCA cable of better quality, but on site a plastic under tray seemed complicated to remove ( I did not dare to turn turntable upside down). So, I just soldered cheap connectors I had with me on the old cable.

I saw today that my uncle has hearing aid in his ear and despite that I had to talk much louder than normal to communicate with him, so connectors our least of our problems :)

I am 43 and never heard of Nana, must be old boys thing :)

I will buy new belt, and visit him again on weekend. I should probably visit him more regardless of turntable.

Marko

I don't like threads to die without resolution so here I am to report total success :)

Changed the belt, it was obvious after removing the platter that the old one was long gone. Uncle is happy, me not so much I feel as dynamics are missing in the sound but considering his hearing all is well.

In fact he is so satisfied he asked me to repair one of his three reele to reel tape recorders, all of them sharing the same problem, no sound from integrated speakers. So dont be surprised if I open another thread looking for some answers.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• viber image.jpg
    viber image.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 45
  • old belt.jpg
    old belt.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 48
  • tape reel.jpg
    tape reel.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the update! :)

Faulty portable reel to reel recorders? Now there's a mechanical and electrical challenge for you!

And possibly there's a story to tell behind Uncle having acquired as many as three of them?

Thank you Galu for your help!

Actually when my uncle was young student he fled from Croatia (then Yugoslavia) to London, England gave him political asylum. His brother, my father, sent him tapes smuggled over border by third party, usually via Germany. That was the only way of communication between them for 30 years besides letters.

He also published newspapers in London in Croatian language for our diaspora, so when he interviewed someone he recorded it on tapes.

Br

Marko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.