Test LP group buy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you go to the first post and look for the link that says Updated track List by Pano, it's on Google Docs.
Price is still a little up in the air at the moment, but should be below $20 US per copy.

The list has many of the standard tests because they are useful, as well as some that are unique to this LP, like rotating vector, lathe speed and some others. Add to that the fact that the original signals will be available for download here, along with ever evolving instructions - and you've got a heck of a test tool.

How many copies are we talking about, order of mag? We have a local pressing plant here specialized in small runs.

Jan

Do you mean the Leeuwarden one?
Production cost for a 300 run would be around 1500 EURO incl, VAT.
180 gr, innersleeve, printed inlay, outersleeve and PE bag
I have been in contact with them they see the 50um centre precision as a challenge

There is another group that claims to be able to ship for approx. 7,50 worldwide.

Probably there will be costs for boxing, addressing and transport from the plant to distribution point. IMHO approx 20 euro would be a feasible number

Regards
Michiel

P.S. As I indicated earlier I am willing to "close the deals" and get things organized provided that files with the signals, texts and drawings are supplied by an agreed "editorial board" that can freeze the requirements

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What's holding you guys back?
Several things.
  • Levels are set in the playlist, but we have to find out if the mastering house can actually do them. We have to adjust to what they can safely cut.
  • We need to generate the signals when we know what they are.
  • Raise the money.
  • Figure out who will distribute them and get them there. We have a few volunteers.

P.S. As I indicated earlier I am willing to "close the deals" and get things organized provided that files with the signals, texts and drawings are supplied by an agreed "editorial board" that can freeze the requirements

That’s the largest problem, unfortunately. No shortage of willing parties to close the deals.

There is a shortage of those willing / capable to do some of the dirtier technical or grunt work. Lots say “I can’t help, but I’ll buy two!”

Any volunteers?

The way I see it the following remains:

1. Generate test files and verify the existing test tracks.

2. Agree on a (odd number of) set of people to make a final call on any particular issue technical or otherwise in our best interest by majority vote.

Have those parties decide on any changes to what we have presently as far as test tracks.

3. Write the “how-to” and liner notes for the LP.

4. Fine tune software if needed / package and document the code.

5. Put software and documentation up on GIT.

6. Finalize art, inserts, labels, etc.

7. Determine the set of technical requirements in writing that will allow for best possible result given mastering and pressing precision at our disposal.

8. Select a mastering and pressing plant.

9. Determine final cost per LP and agree on a distribution network that will minimize shipping costs (ship to one person per country who will then relay the rest). USA has media mail so I think it’s an ideal place to do the pressing and distribute from.

I don’t know the last time any of you in EU or Asia bought an LP from the states but it gets quite pricey.

9. Set up a point of contact / payment for the group buy and start collecting $$$.

10. Pay the mastering house and plant and get these wheels out of the mud and onto the road.

11. Ship complete order to one who is able to test and verify that they are up to our specification.

12. Hold a vigil for the person(s) who gets stuck with spending 20+ hours at the post office.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My main worry at this stage is what can safely be cut - what will the mastering house do?
It's nice to have these cool test signals, but if the mastering engineer won't cut them, what do we do?

I was hoping to get to a point where we could present a list to the engineer and he would come back with a counter offer of what he can really do. We got close to that with GZ.

That’s the largest problem, unfortunately. No shortage of willing parties to close the deals.

There is a shortage of those willing / capable to do some of the dirtier technical or grunt work. Lots say “I can’t help, but I’ll buy two!”

Any volunteers?

The way I see it the following remains:

1. Generate test files and verify the existing test tracks.

2. Agree on a (odd number of) set of people to make a final call on any particular issue technical or otherwise in our best interest by majority vote.

Have those parties decide on any changes to what we have presently as far as test tracks.

3. Write the “how-to” and liner notes for the LP.

4. Fine tune software if needed / package and document the code.

5. Put software and documentation up on GIT.

6. Finalize art, inserts, labels, etc.

7. Determine the set of technical requirements in writing that will allow for best possible result given mastering and pressing precision at our disposal.

8. Select a mastering and pressing plant.

9. Determine final cost per LP and agree on a distribution network that will minimize shipping costs (ship to one person per country who will then relay the rest). USA has media mail so I think it’s an ideal place to do the pressing and distribute from.

I don’t know the last time any of you in EU or Asia bought an LP from the states but it gets quite pricey.

9. Set up a point of contact / payment for the group buy and start collecting $$$.

10. Pay the mastering house and plant and get these wheels out of the mud and onto the road.

11. Ship complete order to one who is able to test and verify that they are up to our specification.

12. Hold a vigil for the person(s) who gets stuck with spending 20+ hours at the post office.

Thank you spaceistheplace for this very helpfull list of work to be executed.

To align our efforts my understanding of the Project Goal:

A record player test environment that allows us owners of The DIYAUDIO testrecord to compare apples with apples. It would enable us to compare and benchmark set-ups of turntable, tonearm and cartridge combinations. It would support individual owners to optimize there set-up.
The test environment made available by this project would entail: digital source files, testrecord, software, manual how tho use the the three.

Please feel free to adjust or add.

Based on your concise list some remarks and questions
6. I would be able to have someone take care of that

7. If I would be a regular producer I wonder if I would go beyond the specs as written in the industry standards for the standard pricing. I don’t know how far the discussion with GZ are and what willingness they have shown?

8. What do we understand by mastering? My understanding is we don’t want mastering in the sense of "optimizing" dynamics. We want to know what can be cut versus amount of time on a side. When I see the GZ website they use a software tool to predetermine what is possible without distortion, New mastering system GZ Vinyl. By closing the deal I would mean here whether they are open for an iterative process loop where we are in the loop. The normal proces would be they would make it work and decide on how the files would be adjusted to make it work.

8.a Most plants offer test pressings we should set up a procedure who and within what time frame would evaluate those test-pressings

9. As far as distribution: I have been in contact with https://vinylexpress.io/. They indicated me the average worldwide price. Seen the nature of our group I would: 1. Give everyone on DIYAUDIO the average price based on 2. Outsourcing that part of the work

9.a I assume there is some group buy experience available
10. The main question here is how do we deal with the VAT and the accounting around that or do we run the project “private”.
12. 11 & 12 see 9

Based
Costs can be reduced by having a bigger production run financial risks will increase as well. Are we willing to take such risks?

Regards,

Michiel

I was working on 6 but happy to go with the group conscience of the contributors.

It might be best to familiarize yourself with the thread as many of your questions have been addressed there ad nauseum.

I think you are not fully understanding the technical side of things and it may not be best to rehash once more.

As Pano said we’ve already contacted / exhausted the global list of well heeled pressing plants and mastering houses with our requests and the results have not been encouraging.

I have a folder in my mailbox of about 30 or so different plants/mastering houses I’ve contacted with a handful of back and forth each.

Those who have contributed the most seem to have their eyes on GD for pressing.

We should start at 1 and work our way down, rather than focusing on 6 or 7 onward, as they will influence the later decisions.

Of course, if I’m off base on my checklist please chime in... just my two cents.

I think we should select 3-5 people who understand the technical side of things intimately and give them complete control over the process, with a handful of others to which they can delegate tasks.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMO the best we've seen so far is from GZ mastering. They were the most lucid with the technical concerns and we have a turn key quote from them. But none of us have any experience with them or know their QC. That would be true of any other plant, too. No one involved in this thread has made an LP, or at least won't admit it. :)

Early on a Kickstarter campaign was discussed. It adds at least 5% to the cost, but does allow anyone who wants a copy to sign up and pay for it. If the goal isn't reached, then no one is out any money.