DIY linear tonearm

Clearaudio's new clone of Cantus tonearm: Aero

Why not just post the pictures from the holgerbarske.com site?

For once Clearaudio makes something I want to own. Simple and elegant, if not original.

ca07.jpg

ca08.jpg

And from the tag-produktdesign.de site

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On holgerbarske pic no. 3 you may note a TT1 tonearm with the armwand below the glasstube. Might be an improved version, or just an experimental setting.

Good observation. The TT1 on every Statement table I saw has the armwand above the glasstube. I think the main reason is ergonomics: this way, you can lift the record up and change album without needing the mechanism to lower the entire glasstube assembly. What a chore to just play a record! I much prefer the simplicity of the AERO arm. I think ALL their current models like TT2 and TT3 should revised to be like that as they are really ugly to me.

Maybe they are giving every model an overhaul and introducing new ideas.

directdriver, I think the way to change records is the same. You still must move the machine backwards in the record change position.

Which is not an easy thing to DIY . that kinda swingarm alike .
Personaly I don't mind putting a bit of attention to safely changing to another
record . but a small strip of felt alike protection to the carrier wouldn't hurt of course .

Anyhow , the guys at Clearaudio are making some pretty LT arms these days .

THX
Paul

directdriver, I think the way to change records is the same. You still must move the machine backwards in the record change position.

I think there is enough clearance vertically to take the record out without sliding the assembly to the back, provided you don't use the record clamp. Check picture of the original version and if I guess correctly, the glass-tube would be where the metal bar is at in the revised version. So there should be several inches of clearance to change records. Hallelujah! :D

(Seriously, the chore of hi-end audio is getting so silly that it is no wonder regular people look at audiophiles as lunatics.)

This is off topic on a tonearm thread but I just can't help to point out about the turntable. Although the AERO tonearm is nothing new but after reading the description, it appears the turntable's drive system is AIR DRIVE!! A pump is provided to stream air at three points of the platter to push it into rotation. Who needs a belt, idler wheel, or even a motor when you have air!

:eek:

Just when I was celebrating the linear tonearm to do away with air-bearing, now you STILL need the damn air-pump for the turntable!

Even though I like air bearings and have machined air platters, the idea to blow air to rotate a platter seems really feeble and noisy in the end.
The magnetic pull of the Clearaudio designs seems interesting, but haven,t done that yet.
I have come around to the idea of controlled resistance to bury needle drag and I don,t know why as of yet, but I,m open to persuasion!

Regards
David

Just fitted the counterweight in 'low slung' mode. Guess what? It's great.
Next couple of weekends will give thought to beautifying the carriage. Will post pictures once I'm happy with it. In the meantime I'll enjoy using my prototype. By the way, the glass rods work a treat-as they bare glued to the alu. carrier, there's no ringing and they are perfectly true-very cheap also-look up 6mm borosilicate glass rod on EBay!
Chris

The symphony cartridge shown fitted to clearaudios shiney new deck has a compliance of 15um/Nm. So a carriage mass of 80g would give a lateral cantilever resonance of about 4.6hz. Dammed close to perfect in my book. At audio frequencies the horizontal effective mass is of course much lower. This arm is probably to heavy for the types of higher compliance cartridges what the contributors to this thread are using but it's construction is still interesting.

Niffy

The newest unofficial Clearaudio looks great, but does it defy the laws of physics?. My first question is what happens on off centre records?, from my understanding the CA TT arms need a tilt bias, this however is not ideal for off center pressings downhill/ uphill motion. 70g is a lot, and more suited to low compliance mc cartridges. Has anyone heard this arm?,as I'm curious knowing how mechanical bearings react to heavy loading.

Colin

The newest unofficial Clearaudio looks great, but does it defy the laws of physics?. My first question is what happens on off centre records?, from my understanding the CA TT arms need a tilt bias, this however is not ideal for off center pressings downhill/ uphill motion. 70g is a lot, and more suited to low compliance mc cartridges. Has anyone heard this arm?,as I'm curious knowing how mechanical bearings react to heavy loading.

Colin

Hi Colin , the center of the arm mass is obviously right under the bearing pivot . I was also playing with the idea to use a brass rod right under the polycarbonate carriage , turn it to a smaller diameter on both front and rear .. and have the carbon tube glued onto it . so actualy the armwand devided in
3 parts with the significant mass right under the bearings . rather than at the wand's ends ?? what do you think ?

THX
Paul