My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

60KHz or 80KHz? For the 80KHz unit you need at least 3/4 inch between records and between record and tank; more is better. For a 60KHz unit, you need a full inch. As before, more is better. With 1.5 inch spacing and 80KHz, I get good action in all parts of the tank, and very, very clean records.

If you try to cheat, say 5/8 inch spacing, the results are dramatically inferior.

What formula are you using to figure spacer size vs. KHZ cleaner?

Darn. For some reason I wasn't getting email updates on this thread and missed the sale yesterday. Thanks to you all for your responses. Looks like I'll get the 60hz tank, the 1/4" rod, the motor and cable/switch and I guess that's it. I'll make a nice stand and get a junction box or just make one (can get some plexiglass and put something together). I guess all I'll need are to make up 1" spacers so that I can get a tight fit and cover the lable. I like the idea of cork and will look for 1" thick, round pieces of cork or have my buddy cut them out of plexiglass on his CNC. I think could be cool.

Thanks...I just went locally to an electronics wholesaler, but my order is too small, lol. Thought if I could support a local vender and with the shipping on the online motors, that I'd break even or so. I may just go online, lol.

Yes,I'm figuring it's going to be two at a time. Man I love my system. Listening to Beatles Love..

Vandersteen Treo's with Audioquest Castle Rock 8' cables. Ayre AX7e integrated, Music Hall 25.3 DAC run balanced with Audioquest Niagara balanced, Marantz bluray for transport, Basis 1400 with Basis 303 arm and Micro Benz Glider cart. Heed Quasar phono (soon to be Ayre phono in true balanced mode) sitting on a Gingko Cloud 12 made specifically for my rig.

I WILL be getting this CD on vinyl as soon as I can find it, lol. Once I get it all I can figure out how I want to mount it all and get my dimensions.

We just cut down a couple of spalted maple trees and I took a bunch of pieces for turning, however I may just rough cut some boards out of it for this project as I can 'dry' them in the oven, lol.....Would be old school in that I'd use a wedge to split the logs into usable pieces of lumber and then hand plane it all. Now to get the time for all of this, lol....You guys are really awesome over here.

Ok,
Tank= ordered
motor=ordered
cord/switch = ordered
18ga crimp female connectors= ordered
Ilford wetting agent= ordered (it's purer than the Kodak version that can leave residue I was told by someone who a legend in the industry and uses the Klauss US cleaner

Need:
1" cork rounds= online or local store
some sort of stop on the spindle for the cork= ???
junction box= Home Depot
1/4" steel rod= HD?
1/4" D type coupler to 1/4" round= I'll look at the link in this thread
I'll make a wooden stand/holder and figure out some sort of slotted raising and lower system for the motor/spindle assembly.

Any other thoughts here? LOL....this is fun..thanks for letting me play.

found 9/32 stainless steel rods on eBay for a very reasonable price. I have not sourced couplers yet.

This was post 851..Don't understand? I should get the 1/4" rod and a 1/4"-1/4" coupler, right? On the one link in this last few pages, I wasn't sure which number coupler to get. It says 1/4"- 1/4", but didn't say if one side is a flat round or not. Don't I need one side to be flat round and the other to be full round for the rod?

Here is the link to Servo City that has the couplers. They are $4.99.
https://www.servocity.com/html/set_screw_shaft_couplers.html#.VH-k1Gt5mSM

You don't have to use a D style opening on one side of the coupler. The flat side of the shaft is so the set screw on the coupler will set better and if the set screw became loose it would not slide around on a round 1/4" rod/shaft. The coupler Servo City sell is round on both ends.

Last edited:
Here is the link to Servo City that has the couplers. They are $4.99.
https://www.servocity.com/html/set_screw_shaft_couplers.html#.VH-k1Gt5mSM

You don't have to use a D style opening on one side of the coupler. The flat side of the shaft is so the set screw on the coupler will set better and if the set screw became loose it would not slide around on a round 1/4" rod/shaft. The coupler Servo City sell is round on both ends.

Awesome. I thought so, but wasn't sure. I'll get that one this weekend.

I'm scared to use threaded rod as I don't want to hurt the hold on the records. IF I did, will there be enough clearance for the records if I use 1/4" rod?

Hi bb,

Your filter design has the pump pushing the water through the filter. Does it make any difference if the pump pulls the water from the output side of the filter? I purchased the Shurflo pump on eBay for $18 but haven't plumbed it in yet. I'm worried it might have too much power for this purpose. It's 1.3 gallons per minute, so maybe it's only good for filtering between cleanings. I have a 10" filter canister I'll be using with it. Am I guilty of overkill?

View attachment 452436

CT, the shrinkwrap over 1/4" threaded rod protects records very well. I have used the system on more than a thousand records by now. Also, the fit is just right - tight, but loose enough to slide the records on and off without difficulty.

Of course, you do need a good heat source for the shrinkwrap. I use a heat gun, but some hair dryers work well, or so it is said.

Hi bb,

Your filter design has the pump pushing the water through the filter. Does it make any difference if the pump pulls the water from the output side of the filter? I purchased the Shurflo pump on eBay for $18 but haven't plumbed it in yet. I'm worried it might have too much power for this purpose. It's 1.3 gallons per minute, so maybe it's only good for filtering between cleanings. I have a 10" filter canister I'll be using with it. Am I guilty of overkill?

View attachment 452436

Hey 00,
You definitely aren't guilty of overkill, as that little Shurflo pump moves less water than my LittleGiant 1-AA-OM beverage pump. Mine is rated at 110 gph @ 1 ft head, while the Shurflo is 78 gph (1.3 gym X 60 min/hr). I don't see a pressure or lift rating for that pump though, so I don't know if it will have enough oomph to go through a fine 1 micron filter or not.
You definitely want to put the pump before the filter, right at the outlet from the UC tank, so that you have adequate head (pressure) to feed the inlet of the pump.
Let us know if the pump has enough power to work.
B B