My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Parts on order.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been lurking for awhile, gleaning information. I just registered because I've been wanting a quality record cleaner for years and you all have made me decide that ultrasonic is the way to go. I originally planned to make a vacuum device using a high quality medical vacuum pump I got cheap at a rummage sale, but the project seemed to involve a lot more work than I wanted to put into it. I purchased the vinyl stack device from eBay to use temporarily until I build the ideal unit using welded stainless with parts recommended on this thread. I also just purchased the Elma P60H from eBay seller balkowitsch using the make an offer option. I will try to provide a review after I receive both and clean a few records. Thanks for your help.

I started working on my RCM. I disassembled my Sonix SS140 and found that while it works. one of the transducers is cracked. there is some carbon around the cracked area and inside the tank it is discolored in that area. Bummer.

I wonder If i could just solder a jumper across the two halves? the bottom side is still connected. Doubtful that sonix would sell that part. not sure how I would get the old one off even if they did.

The transducer driver doesn't have any signs of stress. hmm. this might become a parts unit. not sure yet.

Zc

Zero Cool,
I used to be employed by Sonix, and no, they don't sell transducers nor the transistors for the boards.
To remove the cracked transducers, use a torch to heat the opposite side of the tank, then scrape it off. You may find a suitable replacement transducer on eBay, Ultra-Piezo.com (Chinese manufacturer), or Sunnytech (the sonix supplier).
The silver coating is paper-thin, and if your soldering iron is too hot, it will melt that coating off. Solder time is less than 2 seconds! Also, the transducer should be pre-heated to about 125 degrees to prevent cracking (sudden heat to the transducer from the iron can cause it to crack later during operation).
Hope this is useful.
Louis

I received both the Vinyl Stack record cleaner and the Elmasonic P60H. The Elma arrived in 2 days from balkowitsch. The return address on the box was from Tovatech. The Vinyl Stack arrived in 5 days.
My first impression of the Vinyl Stack unit was that it was a lot of plastic. It does everything the manufacturer claims it will do, except that the slowest speed is closer to a 6 minute revolution, which is even better. If this thing is hand built in someone's garage, I think it is worth the price. The base and the label protector discs are made from the same 1/2 inch plastic stock. I had to put some anti-skid pads on the base because it is pretty slippery on a smooth surface. The label protectors have rubber o-rings inserted into grooves. They are bound together on a hex head bolt which sticks well to the little magnet on the rotating disc.
The Elmasonic is well made, easy to use and has many options. The only negatives for me are that records are a tight fit and the knobs and lid are plastic. It has the sweep mode which a lot of people think is unnecessary. It also has a pulse mode which is supposed to increase the cleaning ability somehow, but I haven't done enough cleaning yet to notice any difference.
So far, I have cleaned about 20 records in a variety of conditions from a NM previously cleaned on a Keith Monks RCM to records purchased in an open air record store in Bangkok's Chinatown where my fingers were covered with black soot after browsing through the record bins. I could hear no difference on the Keith Monks cleaned record but there was a discernible difference in the other records. It didn't take long for a lot of dirt to be floating around in the tank, so I'm now acquiring parts for a water filter. What do you think of using a Shurflo RV water pump for this purpose?
Shurflo Pump 115V 1 3 GPM 4 9LPM Model 8090 983 850 | eBay
I haven't decided on a drying method yet but I'm leaning toward a second magnetic rotating disc over a drip pan. I don't like the idea of leaning records against a dish drying rack and I think they would dry more evenly if they were rotating. The microfiber towel included in the Vinyl Stack kit shed a lot of fibers onto the disc.

Hi, I would like to share with you my approach to the ultrasonic cleaner. My solution tried to be very simple and is relying on three magnet that are glued to the body of the ultrasound cleaner and are holding in place two iron plates, one is simply working as a support and the other one of them is holding a motor with approx. 1 rpm. I ordered the Vinyl Stack record holder and I am planning to place a magnet in the motor shaft; in this case I will not use the second iron plate, hoping one will be enough as a support. In the meanwhile I tested the function with a pencil and I am extremely satisfied of the results in terms of sound.

Here you can see pictures of my realization

Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 3164, IMG 3165, IMG 3166, IMG 3167, IMG 3168, IMG 3169, IMG 3170

I am trying different solutions for the cleaning and I will keep you updated.

Ciao from Italy.

I brought up the idea of a URCM to a friend of mine and he was quite concerned that the US could be doing damage to the vinyl? Something I had never thought of. But seeing what happens to a piece of Aluminum foil, makes me wonder. has there been any reports of a USRCM causing damage? or is my friend over reacting?

Zc

I brought up the idea of a URCM to a friend of mine and he was quite concerned that the US could be doing damage to the vinyl?
has there been any reports of a USRCM causing damage?

Zc

This is the elephant in the room. I've not heard of anyone trying any destructive vinyl testing on these machines.
No doubt there is some limit in frequency/amplitude that should not be passed.

So far no damage has been reported other than possible warping if the solution temperature is too high. I read some where that some tests were done previous where the record was left in for days and no damage at all. I have several records that have been used for testing and again I have seen no damge from the cleaner.

Last edited:
I brought up the idea of a URCM to a friend of mine and he was quite concerned that the US could be doing damage to the vinyl? Something I had never thought of. But seeing what happens to a piece of Aluminum foil, makes me wonder. has there been any reports of a USRCM causing damage? or is my friend over reacting?

Zc
Hi ZeroCool,
Thoughtfully done, there is no risk of damage.
Throughout this thread, it has been mentioned that higher frequency cleaning dramatically reduces the risk of damage and better matches the intricate detail and small contaminant particle size one is trying to deal with in cleaning an LP.
Use a higher frequency machine, 60 kHz or 80 kHz, and limit cleaning times on each piece of surface area to 3 or 4 minutes, and there is zero damage. And based on the material being cleaned, that will be the most effective protocol as well.
If you WANTED to rip up some records, you'd get a cheap 20khz machine and run 30 minute cleaning cycles.

Another analogy for you: If you wanted to scratch an LP what would you do? You'd take a sharp piece of metal, or diamond, and scrape it across the surface. Yet that risk doesn't stop us from playing an LP with a diamond stylus.

Your friend's speculation doesn't jibe with hundreds of people actually implementing a successful cleaning process.
Best,
B B

Hi ZeroCool,
Thoughtfully done, there is no risk of damage.
Throughout this thread, it has been mentioned that higher frequency cleaning dramatically reduces the risk of damage and better matches the intricate detail and small contaminant particle size one is trying to deal with in cleaning an LP.
Use a higher frequency machine, 60 kHz or 80 kHz, and limit cleaning times on each piece of surface area to 3 or 4 minutes, and there is zero damage. And based on the material being cleaned, that will be the most effective protocol as well.
If you WANTED to rip up some records, you'd get a cheap 20khz machine and run 30 minute cleaning cycles.

Another analogy for you: If you wanted to scratch an LP what would you do? You'd take a sharp piece of metal, or diamond, and scrape it across the surface. Yet that risk doesn't stop us from playing an LP with a diamond stylus.

Your friend's speculation doesn't jibe with hundreds of people actually implementing a successful cleaning process.
Best,
B B

Very good point!

If you've read the thread you'd see the higher khz machines are chosen because they can actually get into the grooves. Therefor the suggestion to use a cheap 20khz machine for long cycles would be the best option for confirming if Zero Cool's friend is right about record damage.

No one here has anything to prove. You're the aggressive 14 post noob with no history......What proof do you offer that 20khz machines don't damage records? We'll only accept peer review and published work obviously. Seriously, now is your chance. Show the community because otherwise we'll call your unnecessary question & attitude bovine excreta

If you've read the thread you'd see the higher khz machines are chosen because they can actually get into the grooves. Therefor the suggestion to use a cheap 20khz machine for long cycles would be the best option for confirming if Zero Cool's friend is right about record damage.

No one here has anything to prove. You're the aggressive 14 post noob with no history......What proof do you offer that 20khz machines don't damage records? We'll only accept peer review and published work obviously. Seriously, now is your chance. Show the community because otherwise we'll call your unnecessary question & attitude bovine excreta

Thanks for the info in this thread, I never would have thought of it. These issues are well documented.

Ultrasonics - Number and Size of Cavitation Bubbles CTG Technical Blog CTG Technical Blog