Cantiler cleaning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took off my Sumiko Blue Point 2, which I usually cleaned with Extreme Phono gel and applied quite often (not always) Stylast with the original applicator.

Only taking the cartridge off I noticed that while the diamond itself and surrounding area are quite clean, the cantilever seems quite dirty.

I already read this article:

Stylus/cantilever cleaning

but I'm unable to find this product online and I suspects that's no longer available.

I used also an electronic stylus cleaner, which maybe helped to keep the diamond clean, but did anything to the cantilever.

Has anyone a better suggestion for cleaning a cartridge cantilever without damaging the cartridge itself?

Does anyone know where to find this Glasrubber? Are there any other similar product that can be used for the same purpose?

Thanks in advance...

I agree – I use the fat, soft one at the bottom in this photo. I use it to gently wipe the dust off the entire bottom of the cartridge body every few plays. It is very soft, like a watercolor brush. Came with a cartridge I once owned I guess. I use other tools for the diamond itself.

The Eurotool that I have, probably the same maker as the Glasrubber, is MUCH too stiff to use on a delicate cantilever. It is adjustable, the amount of bristles extending out of the black cone area. With the white fiberglass insert installed instead of the beat up brass one in the photo, it is OK for cleaning electrical contacts or removing light brass corrosion, but would destroy a soft suspension on a quality cartridge.

I would try cheap artist brushes and probably cut the tip square off to keep individual bristles from getting up into the suspension area, and use it dry so solvent does not wick up into the suspension.

Attachments

• brushes.jpg
    brushes.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 123
Question: alcohol or ammonia or any other equivalent cleaning liquid, since I have to clean the cartrigde off the shell, how to explain... upside down, may reach the rubber suspension of cartridge and damage it?

I've heard of horror stories about using wrong/strong cleaning liquids resulting in suspension dissolution or tip detachment...

#sq225917

I think that a dirty cantilever resonates differently from a clean one, thus giving different, non optimal sound.

#vinylkid58

The records I listen to, both new or bought used, are cleaned using Nagakoa 203 (NOS stock found on ebay) which is a liquid that becomes a film and then I need to peel it off the grooves, then BEFORE each pass on the TT I use a carbon fiber brush.

I think my records are quite clean.

Hi dario54, This product is still available, "Reg's LP Rejuvenator Kit" , at the AudioXpress web site. I also add a very small amount of his antistatic solution to my record cleaning fluid.

yes, I clean before each playing with the bottom level Nitty Gritty manual record vacuum cleaner, I have added an anti-static additive to the cleaning fluid, I use a zerostat, I have a reasonably clean room and still static generated by the plastic cartridge body playing 1/8 of an inch above a piece of spinning plastic will cause dust to cling to the cartridge over time.
I have records that have never been played even once without the above treatment, and I can play a whole side and hear just a few small ticks. I think keeping everything clean is worth the effort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.