Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

Attachments

• IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 271
Any details there on your push button switch? Nice.

-- Also, been running the BC327 since birth based on some comments in the thread... and perhaps I'm remembering something Mike said at some point... Preamp sounds so good in my setup I'd completely forgotten I had the 560s to play with! Will have to try them out.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is the switch:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/140/P197-346131.pdf

It's a really nice part, but the manufacturer bloody discontinued it. There were at least a thousand in stock in December at Mouser and I ordered four, but now they're all gone. I would be interested to find a replacement. I guess you can probably find similar switches for through-hole mount, but it's a nuisance to adapt for panel mount.

My new gear came this afternoon. Sounds very good. Very transparent. The Topping E30 is more natural-sounding than my AMB gamma 3 and has better bass. It's just more refined all around I think.

The K702s are superb, but I agree they're light in the bass. I was prepared to hate them. I feel guilty, but with a roughly first-order tilt dialed in below 100Hz, the sound is just amazing without compromising transparency and detail. The jury is out on how much the sound might change with break-in.

The PX100s just sound utterly congested in comparison. And bloated with the sealed cushions I put on them.

Listening to headphones is such a different experience, it'll take me some time to get oriented. I got really lucky with this $229 deal on the K702s. In Europe, I see, they're much less expensive. I know these are considered "mid-fi" but it's far more than good enough for my current tastes. I do like the spacious presentation of these headphones.

This has been a darned successful project. The only thing I have left to do is make some kind of top plate. I wish I had the means to cut clean slots in metal.

-Henry

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 221
My new gear came this afternoon. Sounds very good. Very transparent. The Topping E30 is more natural-sounding than my AMB gamma 3 and has better bass. It's just more refined all around I think.

The K702s are superb, but I agree they're light in the bass. I was prepared to hate them. I feel guilty, but with a roughly first-order tilt dialed in below 100Hz, the sound is just amazing without compromising transparency and detail. The jury is out on how much the sound might change with break-in.

The PX100s just sound utterly congested in comparison. And bloated with the sealed cushions I put on them.

Listening to headphones is such a different experience, it'll take me some time to get oriented. I got really lucky with this $229 deal on the K702s. In Europe, I see, they're much less expensive. I know these are considered "mid-fi" but it's far more than good enough for my current tastes. I do like the spacious presentation of these headphones.

This has been a darned successful project. The only thing I have left to do is make some kind of top plate. I wish I had the means to cut clean slots in metal.

-Henry

I didn't notice much break in on the AKGs, you may want to experiment with the resistor labelled "RZJ" on the output of the DCG3. Additional resistance here will loosen up the bass but perhaps make it more present. I don't use a resistor here...since when I built my DCG3 I had multiple headphones but I can see how with the AKG 702s it might be worthwhile.

And yes, it is a mid-fi headphone. But 5-10 years ago it was the best, most expensive headphone made. I am not sure if high end headphones are really that much better or if people are just willing to pay more now.

It's odd that some tracks definitely need EQ, others are fine with or without, and still others definitely don't want EQ at all. For instance, on Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense," "Girlfriend is Better" is great without EQ, but "Making Flippy Floppy" sounds as if the bass line is completely missing. On the other hand, on Peter Gabriel "So," "Sledgehammer" sounds totally overblown with EQ. I spent a long time listening to Rubinstein playing nocturnes this afternoon and this sounded great flat, once my ears tuned in.

No doubt, it means I've got the wrong EQ.

The PX-100s sound warmer and not bass shy, but if you actually compare back-to-back, the K702s have a lot deeper bass. It goes without saying, there's a lot going on psychoacoustically. A lot of this pop music, I guess, is either EQ'd all weird from the recording studio, or, if recorded properly, in order to sound like live needs to be played at ear-damaging levels (as in real life).

There is something about how the soundfield develops in open air that makes the illusion of loudspeaker listening more forgiving, seems to me.

I understand how people end up owning lots of different sets of headphones. Spending money is addictive. I'd like to try the LCD-1s. But I know myself and I would end up listening to only one pair, and feeling bad about not using the others. Plus, you know, #money.

This is all very entertaining.

-Henry

Couple more quick notes. I'm listening to pop music now, no EQ. It's great, awesome. Yeah, sounds like modest acoustic-suspension speakers. But the bass is there and it's clean and taut and quick. Strange -- it doesn't really thin out that much subjectively when you turn down the volume. I can listen at low volume and still hear everything.

I also did a quick comparison between the Topping DAC and my old AMB Gamma 2. Heh, heh, heh. *Rolls eyes* I thought the Gamma 2 was a nice DAC. LOLOL. The E30 just slays the Gamma 2.

Nice. Very cool...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Like for a friend's 701 and another friend's 712 in the past to Hikari's 7xx and your 702, you all report very good results for using AKG on DCG3. Hmm... European DCG3 owners still without headphones or collecting should take notice because AKG are very well priced in EU.

The AKGs are roughly 20dB less voltage-sensitive than the PX100s. It's amazing how polarizing these cans are; there are many heated arguments on the web with people bashing one another over the question of K701/2 bass. I relate to people's passion, but it's pretty amazing, and actually kind of funny, how defensive people get about this. Definitely, best results will be had with these cans when using a robust amplifier like DCG3.

Makeover.
From completed with stepped attenuator to almost nothing but started implementation of Muses 72320 volume control.
Also adding remote function and 4 digit display.

BTW: I was feeding the i-select board AC from the PSU direct. However I read something that it was not that good and it would be better to tap DC from the DCSTB PSU. But from where on the PSU board would it be best?

Attachments

• dcg.jpg
    dcg.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 269
  • dcg1.jpg
    dcg1.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 256
  • dcg2.jpg
    dcg2.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 258
Hi Salas -

I am planning a fully balanced preamp build using the DCG3s and UBib regulators. I already received the DCG3 boards and kits from Teabag. I'm on the GB list for the Ubibs.

My plan is to use a Khozmo relay-based shunt attenuator. I used this product on another preamp project and really like the way it works and sounds. I think I can get this attenuator with a 5K or 10K series resistor. Am I correct to assume that the best value for use with the DCG3 would be 5K? I am planning to use an input buffer before the attenuator so I am not worried about the input impedance.

I've posted a couple of photos of my current preamp so you can see the attenuator/selector board I am referring to.

Attachments

• Preamp1 1024.jpg
    Preamp1 1024.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 262
  • inrack.jpg
    inrack.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 237