• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Fetzilla Build Documentation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hugh's reply to me when i asked the same question .

I measure the bias current across the 0.1R source resistors. I set 40mV, which corresponds exactly to 400mA. You'd find it's rock steady and quite non-critical to set. The use of three diodes in a string and a much reduced rheostat (read 'pot') all in series makes this adjustment a doddle.

:)

Yes, MM, that's it, across Drain Source of T3.

Offset adjustment on this amp is not wonderful, but it's not bad either, and while it will drift up and down a few mV, this is not at all critical AND HAS NO IMPACT ON SOUND QUALITY WHATEVER.

Noise is more of an issue, however, I do concede that. If you can hear white noise from the speaker at distances more than 1m then there is something wrong. I did not find my FetZilla noisy at all, thought it very quiet actually. Not as quiet as the NAKSA, but damn close.

Andrew, this amp was designed to reproduce sound in a pleasing way. Does it do it for you? Do you have any comments on the sound quality, or is this a verbotten topic for fear of ridicule?

Cheers,

Hugh

MM,

Offset drifting is due to the use of a singleton rather than a long tailed pair, and the variation in 1st stage current due to thermal cycling of the voltage amp, the ZVP, which changes its Vgs with temperature.

The method of powering the input stage chosen here necessarily involves some compromises in offset control, never a trivial issue, but this was done to keep noise to an absolute minimum and to create an even harmonic profile. The offset variations are sluggish, predominantly infrasonic, so they don't actually create audible noise. There is no doubt the LTP, the standard diff amp, used on 95% of designs is superior from an offset POV, but it has other problems, not least being linearity at large inputs.

If you don't hear noise then the object of the exercise is met, and God is in His Heaven!

To keep the ZVP at a constant temperature, it's heatsinking on the board is carefully worked out to run it at a highish but consistent heat. You should wait until it reaches this temperature before setting the output offset. Same applies to quiescent, of course, although the tempco of the laterals is very much in our favour here......

Andrew,

Do you think you might answer my simple question, civilly put?

Cheers,

Hugh

Last edited:
MM,

Offset drifting is due to the use of a singleton rather than a long tailed pair, and the variation in 1st stage current due to thermal cycling of the voltage amp, the ZVP, which changes its Vgs with temperature.

The method of powering the input stage chosen here necessarily involves some compromises in offset control, never a trivial issue, but this was done to keep noise to an absolute minimum and to create an even harmonic profile. The offset variations are sluggish, predominantly infrasonic, so they don't actually create audible noise. There is no doubt the LTP, the standard diff amp, used on 95% of designs is superior from an offset POV, but it has other problems, not least being linearity at large inputs.

If you don't hear noise then the object of the exercise is met, and God is in His Heaven!

To keep the ZVP at a constant temperature, it's heatsinking on the board is carefully worked out to run it at a highish but consistent heat. You should wait until it reaches this temperature before setting the output offset. Same applies to quiescent, of course, although the tempco of the laterals is very much in our favour here......

Andrew,

Cheers,

Hugh
For me this amp is death silent no hum or what so ever,the bias is rock steady,bootstrap voltage set on 24,8 Volts(can't set it lower) and the offset is drifting but stays below the 10mV.And yes,I also noticed when the amp is warmed up it's a bit easier to set the offset.Now move on to the next channel and after that's done compaire the Fetzilla with my Blame ST.One thing I do know these are two total different sounding amps.

................Andrew, this amp was designed to reproduce sound in a pleasing way. Does it do it for you? Do you have any comments on the sound quality, or is this a verbotten topic for fear of ridicule.............

.........................Andrew,

Is your question aiming to "ridicule"?
Are my previous "sound" reports" good enough?
It appears not.
You said in response to one of my reports
Sorry Andrew,

Your findings, not mine.
giving the impression to other Members that I should just be ignored.
Was that "civil"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.