• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Zeners and voltage regulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The tube would not draw to much current if it was "bad" unless short circuit so forget the tube 12AT7.

Check the voltage on pin 3 it should be regulated with the zener. Compare with other channel.

I hope you are familiar with HV working?

You can just check across the zener (DC volts).. remember not to run the amps with no load... If the drawing is correct it should be the cathode.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Okay I will get you those figures Greg. Boy you people are running me ragged. One minute I can't get an answer the next I can't keep up. I' a bovine herder not a typist. I do greatly appreciate it.

We can't go further untill you get the values on the tube. It may be that the crowbar is in operation.

This would mean out of spec voltage... so i'll catch you laters when you get the values.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If the scr crowbar is on you will have no or low voltage.

Check the voltages around Q2 compared to the drawing and also the good amp..List what you get for the good amp and the bad amp in the same post..

As evette has said.
You have to be carful the crowbar is their for a reason if you stop it working to see whats wrong then you may damage something..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.