Zen transformer rating!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have a source for 18VAC CT (9-0-9) @ 2amp trans . I plan to use these to power a V4 Zen . What rating can I attribute to a pair of these with secondaries wired in series?? Is it still a 2amp setup?? Any problems with 2 of these setups paralleled?? I should know but for some reason can't be sure!! Please set me straight!!:confused:

Nelson Pass said:
This is a transformer with a 36 VA rating. For a single channel
of Z4 you will need a minimum of 150 VA rating. This would
correspond to a secondary with 36 VAC at 4 to 5 amps.

:cool:

Thank you for your reply.It would appear that two of these units with secondaries wired in series, paralleled with another like pair would handle one channel . This certainly is a makeshift setup but will allow me to try one of these circuits which have been on my mind since 1994.The trannies in question are less than $5 a piece surplus. I recall that others have used this arrangement with apparent success.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You could squeeze one channel of Z4 from three of your $5 trannies to satisfy your curiosity, but remember the DIY adage: Build nice or build twice!

My guess is you don't have these xformers yet, but when you pick them up, you can see if they heat up or buzz by simulating the load with a power resistor. But you're better off finding a nice fat transformer. Why not call Steve at Apex Jr and see if he has something unlisted on the website? And keep your eyes on the trading post.

Tosh said:
You could squeeze one channel of Z4 from three of your $5 trannies to satisfy your curiosity, but remember the DIY adage: Build nice or build twice!

My guess is you don't have these xformers yet, but when you pick them up, you can see if they heat up or buzz by simulating the load with a power resistor. But you're better off finding a nice fat transformer. Why not call Steve at Apex Jr and see if he has something unlisted on the website? And keep your eyes on the trading post.

Of course you all have set me straight. 'Nice or twice' is a fact of life . Retirement has made a cheapskate out of a spender ...allways seeking
a cheaper solution.:whazzat:

Everything else is here including a bunch of IRF040's that i bought years ago. Why cheapen the scenario!!

Plitron here I come !!!

I would add that I have read everything Mr.Pass has written from the first article on and would like to thank him for what amounts to a very fine education . He has that special teaching talent that is largely missing in most schools.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Plitron here I come !!!

Apex Jr. has some decent sized toroids at very reasonable prices. (although I haven't used them and can't really vouch for the quality.) Plitrons are quite expensive, especially with the dollar losing weight every day.

But if you can afford Plitrons, then definitely buy them--it is a real pain to have to rebuild stuff because your transformer hums.

JJ

jupiterjune said:

Plitrons are quite expensive.....

JJ

Avel-Lindberg are more reasonable....I have used them many times with good results.. Problem is 18-0-18 comes standard only in 160va or 250va. From what Mr.Pass noted,it would require two of either for a stereo setup.

My original idea would get me a test setup so that once the ZV4 is finished it could be checked . I'm sure you've experienced the "It's done..Let's see if it works " sensation. My Wife is beautiful until you say $100...:hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.