Zen headamp. PCB, my ver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tortello, can You confirm this?

Hello,
yes, if you want you can put a potentiometer instead of the pot+res series, set the bias (and the balance), measure the potentiometer resistance value and then swap the pot with a fixed resistor. More compact circuit and more long-term reliability!

As for a preamplifier, I do prefer the "classic" BLS! IMHO it's great!

Best,
Marcello

Hello, It's me again :)

I hope this is the last or pre_last version. I'm only thinking on those resistors before pots, I;m not sure It was realy good idea to cut them out :)

395762028356.png

I'm not sure I can make this PCB with Laserprint method, it's too complex, but I'll try.

P.s. Tortello, do You remember in what range does pot R16 (100k) change BIAS? I's asking because You had 20k+100k resistance and I have only 100k now, so is it sufficient value to set 100-250ma BIAS.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OMG, I just killed 4 hours of my life - closed project and didn't save that (last save was 3.5 hours before) :headbash:

Hey Stream, redo it now while it fresh in your head. It never takes vey long the second time round. Most of the time in PCB design is working out what to do.

BTW: Wasn't auto backup on? Control panel > Options > Backup

regards

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Stream,

Thank you for your reply.

I have downloaded the freeware version of Eagle and have been trying to find out how I can print the board (just the "copper" part), but couldn't come to a result. Is there any quick instructions you could help me with?

Regards,
Evangelos

Hum?

Hi there,

I am not trying to hijack the thread. I am posting here as this thread seems to be still active.
I have finished my Marcello's head amp today.
The only thing worries is the hum. With the original 4700uF-5.6Ohm-2200uF it is not really acceptable for any hifi listening (I am using Senn 595 - 50Ohm version).
I still have some longish cables running around, but I am pretty sure the hum comes from the PSU. I doubled the capacitors. The hum is almost acceptable, but it is not ideal. I am pretty sure I can get rid of teh hum if I increase the caps even more. Still I think I might have done something wrong as I cannot believe Marcello would be happy with the amount of hum in the original circuit.

Can anybody comment on this?

Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.