Zaphs ZBM4 with a front port?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to build Zaph's Bargain Mini Monitor with a front port instead of the rear one.
I was thinking place it symmetrical to the tweeter WRT the woofer.
Would that affect the effect of the Port? Would I need to redesign it to a different length for example?

I was looking at building it for a set of surround speakers, which due to my room size would have to be wall mounted, thus not leaving enough room for the rear port.

Also, another question regarding the ZBM4 - Zaph calls it a mini-monitor - How do you think it would perform as a near-field speaker?

He states in the article the following:

Room Placement
The best sound will be had from stand mounting, 1.5 to 2 feet out from the back wall, and a minimum of 2-3 feet out from the side wall. There are plenty of well built "surround" stands on the market, just pick one. Preferably, pick a stand that keeps the tweeter at ear level, but you do have some flexibility in this regard.

The real problem with speakers this small is that people will be tempted to mount them on a wall or place them on a bookshelf or end table. Yes, that is possible, and the alternative reduced BSC crossover version will probably work better in that case. Just be aware that it is non-optimal and early reflections from nearby boundaries or objects will take a serious bite out of the sound quality. If that's your only placement option, then go for it. Just realize that the speakers are not sounding as good as they could be. This will be true for any speaker placed near a boundary or object.

Near field mounting is an option with these speakers, for example at a desk or mixing console. A front mounted port below the woofer might be a better idea than rear mounting in that case. The listening axis should be ear level with the tweeter, and the speakers should be elevated off the desk or the console to avoid that reflection. A little set of miniature stands might be a good idea.

klankymen said:
I guess I'll be getting 5 kits soon then :D

Anyone know if Madisound ships to APO addresses? I can't find anything on their site, though I haven't tried to actually check out yet (Waiting til after my tests - don't need any more distraction)

They should. If I recall, your APO will be New York. When I lived in Baumholder, our APO address was there, so freight via USPS was to that point, and then moved to Europe. I don't know about UPS or FedEx though, but I would assume the same with them.

John L said:

They should. If I recall, your APO will be New York. When I lived in Baumholder, our APO address was there, so freight via USPS was to that point, and then moved to Europe.
Correct. And yet I have encountered Websites who ship with USPS, but there is no option to chose AE for a state.

John L said:

I don't know about UPS or FedEx though, but I would assume the same with them.
No, I think only USPS go to APOs.

I was planning on centering it, yes.

I have another question however.

Has anyone ordered the parts for one or several of these from partsexpress? I am going to be in the vicinity of a US address about 1 month from now, So I am considering ordering the parts for 5 of these. However I'd like a fairly small package so I can transport it back home. Does anyone have any info that can help me know what to expect? preferably someone who themselves ordered 3-7 of these?

klankymen said:
I was planning on centering it, yes.

I have another question however.

Has anyone ordered the parts for one or several of these from partsexpress? I am going to be in the vicinity of a US address about 1 month from now, So I am considering ordering the parts for 5 of these. However I'd like a fairly small package so I can transport it back home. Does anyone have any info that can help me know what to expect? preferably someone who themselves ordered 3-7 of these?

Have you tried calling PE and asking them if they would kindly ship via USPS, and then explain your APO 'opportunity' to them? I would not be surprised if they didn't help you out on that one.

It's worth a try, don't you know.

cyberspyder said:
Nope, I hope you mean Madisound? I just ordered my parts last night, so I should be receiving it soon.

Sorry, yeah, madisound of course.

@ JohnL, even the APO address is not an opportunity right here to be exact. My father lives several hundred miles from here, and I was hoping to order so that it arrives when I visit him next month (he is stationed with a APO address), and I can bringt it back home - which is why I was wondering how big it would be.

klankymen,

You'll have no problem getting these home.

I just received parts for seven speakers. The port tubes were from Parts Express, the woofers from MCM, and the rest from Madisound. The shipping box from Madisound was 11.5 x 22 x 28.5 cm and was less than 1/2 full. The port tubes will easily fit in the Madisound shipping box. Each woofer box is 11 x 11 x 8.5 cm.

When I came back from Belgium, I fit 23 beers into my carry-on bag. Five ZBM4s in a suitcase? Piece of cake.

One word of advice. Find Zaph's MCM "source code" on his blog. It is in the ZBM4 section, and it will save you several bucks on each woofer.

Looney

I have another question regarding the front port. Why exactly isn't there a front port in the first place - just aesthetic reasons, or is ther something accoustic? I'm not sure if I want my speakers up to the wall yet or not. Assuming I build them with a front port, and then decide I'm going to put them 2-3 feet from the wall after all, will they sound worse than with a rear port then?

Looneytunes said:
klankymen,

You'll have no problem getting these home.

I just received parts for seven speakers. The port tubes were from Parts Express, the woofers from MCM, and the rest from Madisound. The shipping box from Madisound was 11.5 x 22 x 28.5 cm and was less than 1/2 full. The port tubes will easily fit in the Madisound shipping box. Each woofer box is 11 x 11 x 8.5 cm.

When I came back from Belgium, I fit 23 beers into my carry-on bag. Five ZBM4s in a suitcase? Piece of cake.

One word of advice. Find Zaph's MCM "source code" on his blog. It is in the ZBM4 section, and it will save you several bucks on each woofer.

Looney

Thanks - one more question. Do you remember how heavy the box was?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.