Z5500 Satellites (Plastic) to MDF Wooden Casing + Tweeter ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hii alll,

IDK whether its the the right place iam posting it in. But i found a great no of replies here in this thread.. So i thought i will go here ..

So the title explains it all. Iam completely new to this and am bit concerned about the selection of MDF casing as well as the tweeter. All i wanna do is to transfer the 3" drivers of the logietech to a Two-way wooden casing ( i.e Addition of a tweeter) Satellites. But i really dont have any idea how can i get this done. Do i need to connect the Tweeter and Woofer in series inside the casing or do i need some electronics in between ???. And what specs i should b considering for the tweeter and does the Box dimension matters at all ??.

FYI, Logitech claims each driver is 62 Watts / Channel except for the center which is 69 Watts.

Thanks in Advance !!

The claimed Logitech power isn't really relevant, as it's at 10% THD (unlistenable distortion). Expect maybe 30w per channel.
The drivers in the satellites also seem to have no need of a tweeter, http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-809s.pdf as they go out to 20kHz.
Making an MDF box instead of the plastic ones might help the sound a little, but I'd expect that a better subwoofer would help the sound a lot more. Sure, it can go quite loud, but any meaningful bass is eliminated by the far-too-small cabinet.

Chris

If you decide you want a tweeter, it will need some sort of crossover to protect it from the low frequencies. The simplest way to achieve this is to wire a non-polarized capacitor in series with the tweeter. For an eight ohm tweeter, a 4 microfarad 100 Volt capacitor is a good start. The larger the value in microfarads (also referred to as UF or uF), the lower the crossover frequency. The voltage rating can be anything higher, it won't affect the sound.

Once the capacitor is wired in series, wire the resulting circuit (the tweeter and capacitor) in parallel with the full-range speaker.

But as Chris alluded, do you really want to do this? Why not just build a whole new speaker since you are almost there already. There are lots of low-cost small two-way designs out there and Parts Express is a good place to start. I'd give them a call and ask for suggestions. The result is guaranteed to sound better than the reconfigured logitech speakers.

Last edited:
chris661 said:
The claimed Logitech power isn't really relevant, as it's at 10% THD (unlistenable distortion). Expect maybe 30w per channel.

So you saying that the claimed 62 Watts is actually there and its lessened to 30 W at high volumes due to the 10 % THD..?

The drivers in the satellites also seem to have no need of a tweeter, http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-809s.pdf as they go out to 20kHz.
Does that mean that the phase plugs can really produce high freq's as claimed by the logitech and i really don't need a separate tweeter ??

but I'd expect that a better subwoofer would help the sound a lot more.
Iam a bit confused here. Did u mean to say just woofer ?? that it would be good if i replace the woofer with the logitech's one's on the satellite ??

And thank you chris661 for the input :)

bunkie said:
If you decide you want a tweeter, it will need some sort of crossover to protect it from the low frequencies. The simplest way to achieve this is to wire a non-polarized capacitor in series with the tweeter. For an eight ohm tweeter, a 4 microfarad 100 Volt capacitor is a good start. The larger the value in microfarads (also referred to as UF or uF), the lower the crossover frequency. The voltage rating can be anything higher, it won't affect the sound.

Ok Thank you !!. I will look in to that. But what bout the tweeter types ? like Titanium Tweeters ?? or is there something better ?!

Once the capacitor is wired in series, wire the resulting circuit (the tweeter and capacitor) in parallel with the full-range speaker.
Full range speaker ?? Iam sorry but did u know i was talking about the Z5500 Satellites ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.