Your opinion for the Monacor SPH-250TC

Hello Gurus of the sound,
I would like to know if any of you have experience with using the Monacor SPH 250TC as a bass driver. SPH-250TC
In my opinion, this is quite dated but good driver. However, it is devalued and the information about it is rather scarce.
The projects I saw on the internet this driver is mainly used as a subwoofer, but I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be crossed at around 400 Hertz?.
The concept is a MTMWW speaker
My idea is to use two drivers in parallel of each channel, with voice coils wired in series. 100l BR enclosure tuned at 28Hz should give output at f3 42Hz
Has anyone measured the frequency response and the distortion levels in the 100 to 800 Hz range?
Thank you in advance for your opinion.
Regards, Georgi

Thanks for the suggestion, Mario
Of course, Beyma is a great driver, but it's designed mostly for PA application. It is way too loud for the mid-range drivers I already have (98dB bass vs. 89dB mid, but you wouldn't know about it). In this case I should go active
I know that the Monacor's SPH series is designed for small boxes, so I made a comparison between the two drivers in WINlsd. The roll-off of both is pretty similar, but the 10'' one is performing into 25l enclosure.

Besides, I prefer a tall and narrow baffle speaker up to about 30 cm for the media room of about 16 sq m.

Regards Georgi

I have made once a sub/sat combo utilizing 1 Monacor sph 250 tc in 120 litres vented enclosure, one 8 ohm voice coil to the L channel, and the other to the R. TSP of a single coil is different than the ones when in series/parallel. Performed pretty well.

Thank you Lojzek.

Have you made any measurements, even though you have used it as a subwoofer

Although 120 liters seem to me a huge volume. The recommendations of the manufacturer are in a 50 liters vented or 25 liters closed box.
Of course, TSPs are different when we connect single voice coil or parallel /serial VCs
That affects the Re, Le and Bl parameters only, so change of the wiring leads to a change in the crossover, but the enclosure volume and port tuning frequency remain the same

Regards Georgi

It is way too loud for the mid-range drivers I already have (98dB bass vs. 89dB mid, but you wouldn't know about it).

It is stated to be 98db but this happens above 400Hz, besides you`d have baffle step loss. So, your mids can actually work pretty well with it. The SPH series are otherwise pretty good value for money, the SPH-300CTC can go infrasonic in 60l (built a sub with it some years ago).

I would give you some subjective option, as all of my measurements and drawings left on my old and very dead laptop.
I went wrong using SPH-300TCT as a subwoofer driver. It's able to produce very low bass, but its straight is as a bass driver.
1/ it has very decent xmax Very low tuning frequency may lead to exceeding its limit.
2/ the roll off starts in relatively high frequency
3/it works better in bass reflect box, tuned around 40Hz. The lower tuning leads to lower, but loose bass. Actually, it depends of your personal preference. I prefer overdamped sound.
4/ lining inside the box gives a great impact over the sound signature. I've used 1 inch dacron, applied on bottom, sides and back wall.
As I remember, my box was around 58l tuned to some 25ish Hz,. The first attempt was on 40Hz, but I decided go lower adding port extensions and that was a mistake.
Anyway, this is pretty good bass driver for the price you pay. Its been used in Mona Kea - 4way design as a bass driver. https://www-donhighend-de.translate...tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc.
You can use the Alex's design or you can ask him for his own opinion.
Hope that will help you

Regards

Reactions: 1 user