Your next compression driver?

@fluid

You should hook yours up….. there curious as hell….. I think your going to laugh in a good way when you see this little baby driver act dam near like a 2” dome , 1.4” exit below 1k…..

I couldn’t believe how much lows this thing spits out….. it’s almost not real… lol 😝

Reactions: 2 users
I had a 4552ND a 18sounds 1095N and a Faital HF108 ( to sell) and for my point of view none of this ones are good under 2k compare to a good 1.4 like a 18sounds ND3A or beyma755nd they sounds more clean to me with low distorsions in the lows ( crossed at 800hz) and can go near as high with a little correction.

@juanitox

Interesting…. Yeah I haven’t heard those
I paid a lot for a b&c horn in 1” that can play to 500 , and it’s a BiG horn….

So maybe the horn , the 4552 I thought sounded fantastic between 800-2k

But not have hearing those 1.4” you mentioned you may be on to something…

Altho this BMS I was playing with for a tiny driver does get it down low

I also have a TAD TD2001 and a beyma CD10ND and those are both big big 1” drivers, this one does as good as both in the lows , (the TAD obviously kills it in the HF) but for its size …. It’s a remarkable driver….

What’s funny is they sure do know how to price things….. seems ever CD I buy does exactly what I pay for….

My 50$ drivers sound like 50$ drivers same with the 300$ And the 2500$ one lol

@fluid , I also picked up the 5530nd
I like a little horn gak I know how to tune it out, it’s the 2-3k octave Just need tamed, and 2-3k can give such powerful presence it’s what I love the most
I also prefer the 2-3K presence of good CD/horns, as no other transducer tech seems to sound as "live," especially for vocals.
DSP room correction totally messed up the CD/horn vocals for me, and I had to manually bring back the presence, although I do think DSP has a great role for room bass correction..

Reactions: 1 users
@drjlo

Yes , vocals , female top end that just cuts through you is just awesome…

Then a good midbass driver that lets male vocals be huge and full…..

But yeah something about that 2-3k and it could be more like 2-5k range.

These ring radiators seem to do it for me…. I’ve had good domes, and I know there are some very good ones…. But the ring radiator to me seems like it has that edge on this range. The complete lack of breakup leaves me smiling when I play those tracks I love..

Altho for me dsp is an order everywhere. It takes realism like 100 levels up. Especially with a good horn. fixing a lot of those areas that are otherwise out of control to me gives far better depth in the stage and the realism really comes out…

But I have heard some passive horns that were pretty impressive and downright fun to listen to…

Yeah for a non dsp system this bms I think would become a favorable driver for many.

I put it on 3 different horns and they behave themselves uniform on all the horns (small medium and large) within 3db/oct across the entire range at roughly 10’ away from horn was pretty nice i thought…

The top end was there to about 14k , and to get it to play to 20k was easy with mild eq to cut the peaks down.

It’s a lot like the 4552nd in response….. very much like it…. And that driver with no eq is arguably one of the best in 1”

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a version with 1" exit and 1.75" VC from JBL similar to the 5530ND?
I searched but didn't found one.
2406H , very similar to the BMS 4552ND, does have your desired 1,75"VC, screw on.not 1 3/8" thread.

2407H, 1.5"VC pretty identical to the BMS 4540, is/was made by BMS, rebranded.

2408H- is JBL's own 'evolution' of 2407H.
Different diaphragms and phase plug, etc. They're beefier own version(compared to -1/-2) that JBL has produced overseas.

And so are the following -1 /-2.
Following they're usual trend in later times, they look for ways to shave off cost with similar performance.
As can also be evidenced by the lower prices of the 2408H-1 and H-2 even more so compared to the 2408-H.

If the D2430 is to your liking.
The D2415 0.75" exit is a smaller version.
There was plans/development of DA2420, but never seen the product used or for sale anywhere.

Attachments

• 2407vs2408.jpg
    2407vs2408.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Alex_Voishvillo_PP.1784348.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
2406H , very similar to the BMS 4552ND, does have your desired 1,75"VC, screw on.not 1 3/8" thread.

2407H, 1.5"VC pretty identical to the BMS 4540, is/was made by BMS, rebranded.

2408H- is JBL's own 'evolution' of 2407H.
Different diaphragms and phase plug, etc. They're beefier own version(compared to -1/-2) that JBL has produced overseas.

And so are the following -1 /-2.
Following they're usual trend in later times, they look for ways to shave off cost with similar performance.
As can also be evidenced by the lower prices of the 2408H-1 and H-2 even more so compared to the 2408-H.

If the D2430 is to your liking.
The D2415 0.75" exit is a smaller version.
There was plans/development of DA2420, but never seen the product used or for sale anywhere.

That’s right. I stand corrected. Thanks !!!

My CD journey has been

JBL2435Be 1.5" throat had on Conicals and Tractrix horns.
Vitavox S2 1.5" (still using as I possibly transition to Synergy horns) have on Tractrix 400 or Le Cléac'h 550 horns.
BMS 4550 1" (evaluating in Synergy SH50 alike horn),

Possibles in the near future

BMS 5CN160 coaxial 1" CD / 5" cone
Or
B&C DCX464 coaxial similar to the above

The latter two are on the cards if I make some SM60F or HRE1 alike horns at some point..

I'm quite impressed with the BMS 4550.
It's a more clinical sound,, fast and accurate.