Yet another "Vinyl Records sound better than CDs" story

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I dunno - maybe a lot. Certainly I've heard much better vinyl playback than mine (and better than CD). But mostly on setups that cost more than my car.
Not sure what the problem is. As you know I have a Rek-O-Kut TT converted to outboard drive, a Stanton 680 cart, vintage Grado maple arm.
FR is good, balance and phase are tight, distortion low and anti-skate seems about perfect. But surface noise can be high. Usually the music drowns it out, but some of those lead-in and lead-out grooves can be frightening.

Maybe moving coil and strain gauge are just not as sensitive to surface noise as MM and MI. I need to play around with another table and cart.

Pano, back in my experimenting days I played with a Stanton 680 and found it extremely noisy on the lead in grooves, and associate that with the stylus geometry. I have a variety of MC which again depending on stylus geometries exhibit differing levels of tracing noise. Try something like an Ortofon Red here: :: 2M Red - Ortofon :: - my concern would be that the compliance is a bit too high for that arm, but you get the picture.

Other options include the "Red Ed" Elliptical here:
Ed Saunders Red Ed Cartridge hard to imagine how you could go wrong at the price..

I have some friends with some very expensive TT's and carts. Myself I have a very cheap TT setup at the moment (Denon DP-300F and Ortofon 2M Red) and most of my friends that come over are really impressed by my vinyl playback for such a budget system. I actually see some resentment due to how much cash they have dropped lol. My turntable is hooked up to my HH Scott 299A with Klipsch Heresy II's.

I just wanted to second the advice for Pano to try a Ortofon 2M Red.

As for Vinyl sounding better than CD's it's really hard for me to do a true A/B analysis so I have no opinion, I really like both.

I heard one on a Project Xpression. It had a real nasty spitty treble presentation.

Not to sound like a dork but my ears are very sensitive to high frequencies..........I get the "ice pick" in ear from lots of equipment especially from guitar players setups (especially old guitar players because they compensate for their hearing loss). The Ortofon 2M Red sounds really balanced to me IMHO.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Other suggestions should be welcome, I suggested the 2M Red because in my limited encounters it seemed balanced and inoffensive. I owned a conical Red Ed which was not horrible in the time prior to its demise, and thought the elliptical would be a good step up. Either of these should be a significant improvement over any vintage Stanton 680 IMLE. (I had a 680 EE from the early 1970s in the not too distant past) The new ones may be worse??

Hard for me to make a recommendation for any MM as I now exclusively use Ortofon SPUs on my Schick and clone 3012 arms on a pair of TD-124. (I just got an SPU A95 which I am pretty happy with.)

I believe a DL-103 might actually be a great match on the old maple Grado.. Transformers or active would be needed.

I have from the past Stanton 680 head and after spotting the difference between 6800AL & 6800EL, I am using only EL.
And own two needle original ones, the older is partially at the end of it life as volume level is somewhat low, compared the my second which I was safeguard so to use it only for recordings.
I did become aware that Stanton is no more very recently, and after learning that 6800EL stock is at 100$ I think that soon I will have to switch in a solution from another brand or forget vinyl for good.
100$ for a needle is thievery.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not so much, no. More a function, IME, of tip type. One qualifier: many (most?) MCs have a shallow and broad frequency response dip in the brightness region which can, if severe enough, give that illusion.

Thanks SY. Perhaps I could experiment with an elliptical stylus. Conical was my choice since most of my vinyl is 1950s to early '60s vintage.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Conical was my choice since most of my vinyl is 1950s to early '60s vintage.

So is mine but I don't see why one would require a conical tip to read these discs properly.

One way to reduce surface noise is to thoroughly clean them and keep them in anti-static inner sleeves.
Since you're in the US, you should really get some of these LAST record care products. They're simply amazing and the only ones that truly work IM vast E :D

I play records that I bought second hand, others that belonged to my dad, some of these have seen all kinds of (rather) cheapish carts and were noisy.
No more after a good cleaning and treatment with above products.

As for CD, I don't know why but I just can't keep on listening to them for a prolonged period of time. I find most of them unengaging, inducing premature listening fatigue.

Cheers, ;)

As for CD, I don't know why but I just can't keep on listening to them for a prolonged period of time. I find most of them unengaging, inducing premature listening fatigue.

Cheers, ;)
Frank, I've explained the "why" many times, but most people obviously aren't able to get their heads around it - that "unengaging" quality is an artifact, a distortion; to me it's as obvious as pops and crackles, and surface noise are to those who are agin vinyl, ;). The fact that the behaviour is less "obvious", and largely blends in perfectly with the replay sound to create an overall patina of flatness and deadness means that it's harder for people to see it as a straight out 'wrongness' ...

Best strategy is, to know always that you're listening to defective playback when you hear this - therefore, things have to be fixed or improved until that problem goes away. Irrespective of brand status, component expense, or "experts" waving their hands around, insisting that it's perfect - if it sounds not quite right, then it's 'wrong' - simple as that ...

Back in the late 80's when I started experimenting with tube amps, I noticed that my Sony CD walkman didn't sound right through a tube amp. I heard someone else at a store comment on the same type of thing. After hearing CDs played over the FM radio (through a tubed FM radio and amp) I was surprised that they sounded that good on FM radio. Maybe they have better CD players, too. I later got a better CD player which was better than the Sony walkman, but there still seems to be something missing compared to LPs. Maybe an even better CD player would help.

Last edited:
Maybe an even better CD player would help.

I believe that the recent generation of CD Player by using as example here my JVC XV-N33SL (Made in Japan / 2003) is the highest step that you may expect regarding performance.

It is actually a CD/DVD player compo which uses high-audio sampling frequency of 96 kHz at DVD playback with frequensy range of 2 Hz to 44 kHz.
And regarding video an 10-Bit/ 54MHz D/A converter.

Music CD disc sampling frequency is much less than what this equipment can handle, therefore with XV-N33SL you will get a warrantied complete frequency range.
My amplifier in an Kenwood KA-7020 Made in Japan, which worth bragging rights even today, it has extreme manufacturing quality and most importantly it does deliver exceptional sound.
Therefore by my setup, frequency range limits can shown only if poor set of speakers or headphones are used, and in my case I have taken care of those parameters too.;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.