Yet another DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MRehorst said:
I wonder what is done differently in the bass driver to match it to a dipole....?

There was quite a bit of discussion on the Llambda List about what to design into a dipole driver before Nick actually built it. And later some on the Basslist on the subject of Adire's (i didn't pay much attention to either thread). The archives of both those lists can be accessed (i don't have URLs off the top). There is some info on Adire's on their website.

dave

I stand corrected. I thought Linkwitz was using a peerless driver. The XLS line looks like it would do dipole service well.

I'm still not convinced that as sound wavelengths increase and get longer than any of the relevant length scales (speaker separation distance, speaker to listener distance, or room dimensions), that it's going to matter how the sub works (asssuming flat frequency response). Shorter wavelengths I can image significant differences though.

Sheldon

Yep, he's using a Peerless, at least in the latest incarnation of his DIY designs.

I too am very curious how the polar radiation pattern of a dipole will <i>really</i> interact with the listening room. In principle, I find the possibility of reducing room modes quite appealing. In addition, a dipole seems like it should be a good compliment for the polar pattern of an ESL panel.

Has anyone here built comparable dipole and TL subs? If so, what are your experiences regarding room interactions and radiation patterns? Any comments welcome...

I'm seriously considering building a set of dipole subs. I was thinking of building a small Peerless XLS sub for my okara speakers. The thing that is turning me off is the cost. My TL subs which integrate very well, cost me aobut $170 per side. Dipole would really require two drivers per side. If I used the peerless XLS, that would bring the cost up to $250 per side. Still doable, but a fairly substantial investment for an experiment.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.